A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » Weights
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2  
Old December 28th 03, 06:45 AM
Terry Thorne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq

See responses to danny burstein in text:

danny burstein wrote in message

a) does your mommy know you're trolling on usenet?


What the hell is this supposed to mean? Trolling because I'm telling
the ****ing truth about Bally's?

b) if by some minimal chance you're this ****ed up that you don't have a
clue, try looking in the mirror and repeating "this is the face of a
moron"


Ah, name calling. Next.

c) I betcha that if you asked bally's, for real, they'd be a lot nicer
than the fantasy yarn you're spinning.


1. I went to the Bally's in San Antonio, TX (Quarry Marketplace) and
asked the lady at the counter if I could cancel my membership since I
was deploying to Iraq. She gave me a number to call and said they
didn't have the contracts at the gym. I called the number and they
told me that Bally's doesn't cancel memberships for soldiers deploying
(i.e. relocating) to Iraq. You want to call her and get the same
****ing answer?!

Fantasy yarn. You're the one living the fantasy that Bally's is this
great club that would NEVER do such a thing.

d) oh, and for good measure, there's always the "soldiers and sailors
civil relief act", made popular by ex President Clinto.


The Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act covers LEASES and CREDIT
CARD debit encountered before active duty service. I know this because
I used to to reduce debt incurred prior to my enrollment into active
duty many years ago. It doesn't do **** against people like Bally's.
Maybe YOU need to look it up and tell me how it even remotely applies.

Look man. I enjoyed going to this gym. It wasn't until I got orders to
deploy for 12 to 18 months that I wanted to cancel. I see deployment
orders as RELOCATING. Bally's doesn't. I'm not making any of this ****
up. The sales representative told me that if I got deployment orders
that it would be no problem whatsoever if I tried to cancel my
membership. I specifically asked him because I knew there was a chance
I would be deployed. By the way, I joined over eight months ago, if
this matters at all.

Screw it. You obviously aren't in the military. It would be nice if
some people showed some support for soldiers. Bally's doesn't and
neither do you.
  #3  
Old December 28th 03, 05:41 PM
Marc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq

Terry Thorne wrote:

[ snip ]


Screw it. You obviously aren't in the military. It would be nice if
some people showed some support for soldiers. Bally's doesn't and
neither do you.


I don't understand why the fact that you're military gives you extra
"rights"? If I were in a corporate career, been asked to work on a deal
overseas (nevermind if it's Iraq or anywhere else), and went, I'd expect
Bally's to treat me the same way as you.

I agree that since you were *told* that you could cancel if you moved,
you should certainly be allowed to, but this has nothing to do with you
being in the military.

Also (as you wrote in your original message),

If you want to be locked into a LOAN for three years and pay for a gym
that you can't use while fighting for the U.S. in Iraq then sign your
life away.


Signing your life away = signing on with Bally's on a 3 year contract??!
I'd say that signing your life away = going to Iraq, but that's just my
opinion...

Enjoy your tour in Iraq, fighting for freedom (such as that which
"Bally's has given you")
  #4  
Old December 28th 03, 07:56 PM
Marc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq

MuscleMan wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:41:19 GMT, Marc
wrote:

Terry Thorne wrote:

[ snip ]


Screw it. You obviously aren't in the military. It would be nice if
some people showed some support for soldiers. Bally's doesn't and
neither do you.


I don't understand why the fact that you're military gives you extra
"rights"? If I were in a corporate career, been asked to work on a deal
overseas (nevermind if it's Iraq or anywhere else), and went, I'd expect
Bally's to treat me the same way as you.


You have a choice though. Being as he joined the military, he
doesn't-the government quite literally owns you and he can't quit his
job or leave, nor can he choose his deployment. Thats where GI Joe
comes from-Government Issue Joe. He's owned by the government, it's
not a choice.


There is no conscription in the U.S. His choice to join the army was his
own.


I agree that since you were *told* that you could cancel if you moved,
you should certainly be allowed to, but this has nothing to do with you
being in the military.


Sure it does.


How so?


Also (as you wrote in your original message),

If you want to be locked into a LOAN for three years and pay for a gym
that you can't use while fighting for the U.S. in Iraq then sign your
life away.


Signing your life away = signing on with Bally's on a 3 year contract??!
I'd say that signing your life away = going to Iraq, but that's just my
opinion...

Enjoy your tour in Iraq, fighting for freedom (such as that which
"Bally's has given you")


Given the risks inherent inwhat he's doing and he's doing it for you,
you ought to have a little more respect.


Please explain to me what he's doing for me? As far as I remember it,
OBL was the main man behind 9/11, not SH. And you'll note that no WMDs
were discovered in Iraq.

It's not a question of respect. There is no respect consideration here
-- he does not have the choice on Iraq
  #5  
Old December 29th 03, 03:45 AM
Marc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq



MuscleMan wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:56:42 GMT, Marc
wrote:

MuscleMan wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:41:19 GMT, Marc
wrote:

Terry Thorne wrote:

[ snip ]

Screw it. You obviously aren't in the military. It would be nice if
some people showed some support for soldiers. Bally's doesn't and
neither do you.

I don't understand why the fact that you're military gives you extra
"rights"? If I were in a corporate career, been asked to work on a deal
overseas (nevermind if it's Iraq or anywhere else), and went, I'd expect
Bally's to treat me the same way as you.

You have a choice though. Being as he joined the military, he
doesn't-the government quite literally owns you and he can't quit his
job or leave, nor can he choose his deployment. Thats where GI Joe
comes from-Government Issue Joe. He's owned by the government, it's
not a choice.


There is no conscription in the U.S. His choice to join the army was his
own.


But Bally's contract says if he moves it's to be cancelled. He is
moving, so it ought to be. He also doesn't have the choice once he has
joined the National Guard, unlike a normal job.

Someone has to do the Nat'l Guard stuff, otherwise you and I wouldn't
exist. There's no reason why Bally's can't let him out of the
contract, at leastuntil he gets back.


Agreed, since the arrangement was from the beginning to be able to
cancel should this sitch arise.



I agree that since you were *told* that you could cancel if you moved,
you should certainly be allowed to, but this has nothing to do with you
being in the military.


Sure it does.


How so?


Only the military doesn't give you a choice afterwards. Any other job
you can give two weeks if life gives you problems. You can't do that
with the military.


Yup..



Also (as you wrote in your original message),

If you want to be locked into a LOAN for three years and pay for a gym
that you can't use while fighting for the U.S. in Iraq then sign your
life away.

Signing your life away = signing on with Bally's on a 3 year contract??!
I'd say that signing your life away = going to Iraq, but that's just my
opinion...

Enjoy your tour in Iraq, fighting for freedom (such as that which
"Bally's has given you")

Given the risks inherent inwhat he's doing and he's doing it for you,
you ought to have a little more respect.


Please explain to me what he's doing for me?


He signed up to defend you and your country, including it's economic
interests, while over there. Unless you want to have 3$ a gallon gas,
25% unemployment, and no control over your country's economic assets
then you will have to have people like him.


That's a bit broad -- that's more of "foreign policy's mandate" than
military specific (granted, the military is a part of foreign policy).
My comment was geared more towards the specific Iraq mission, and was
not commenting on broader American foreign policy.

BTW, I'm a Canadian (but I guess it doesn't make a difference -- US Army
*is* Canada's army ).

As far as I remember it,
OBL was the main man behind 9/11, not SH. And you'll note that no WMDs
were discovered in Iraq.


I agree, ad I don' agree with the War. Bu I doubt anyone deep down
wants to die. It doesn't justify the monkey shining going on with our
president or the oil companies either, but it doesn't make him wrong
to want to sign up and defend i all, even if what he is defending is
flawed.

He's willing to dedicate himself to our system evne to the point of
death and dumb poilitical manuevers. He should be given credit for
making or risking the ultimate sacrifice for defending us, even if the
war is unpopular.


I agree with most of what you say here, except that "credit should be
given for defending us". Dedication to something that you know (or
believe) is wrong, is not a good thing in my books. I'll give him credit
for doing things he believes are right, but not simply because his
commanding officer (pardon me if that's not the right term) ordered him
to Iraq.

It's not a question of respect. There is no respect consideration here
-- he does not have the choice on Iraq


Not once he has signed up, no he doesn't ask any old veteran-they
signed up for the duration and to defend us and our system regardless
of what that meant. That makes him brave and patriotic.


No comment

The people we ought to be having problems with are the people who are
calling the shots and sending him there, not him. He didn't order the
war.


True enough -- I guess my comment was a little misplaced, but I'd like
the irony noted.
  #6  
Old December 30th 03, 12:01 AM
Lucas Buck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:20:34 -0500, MuscleMan wrote:

Depends. Usually I take 12 U in the morning and night, and a shot for
each meal, on a sliding scale of regular, usually 15g=1 u of R. So it
depends on my BG''s, how much I eat, and whther I'm lifting or sick.

I pay for the insulin, and the strips. I don't have enough money for a
Dr., so I don't have one. I pay for it all.


Um, who exactly writes the script for your insulin, then?


  #7  
Old December 30th 03, 12:04 AM
Lucas Buck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:09:20 -0500, MuscleMan wrote:

Mmmmkay. So despite all this, you decided to assume responsibility
for your fianceť and her four kids, and then you moved everyone to
Michigan, where, I presume, you didn't have a job, so that she could
be with her dying dad and stepdad, and now that dad and stepdad are
dead, you can't afford to move back to Massachusetts, right?


Actually, I haven' found any jobs inany state I've lived in, and
that's mainly due to the economy.
...
I have job, too.


You've never found a job anywhere you've lived.

But you have a job.

Huh?


  #8  
Old December 30th 03, 01:27 AM
John M. Williams
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq

Lucas Buck wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:09:20 -0500, MuscleMan wrote:

Mmmmkay. So despite all this, you decided to assume responsibility
for your fianceť and her four kids, and then you moved everyone to
Michigan, where, I presume, you didn't have a job, so that she could
be with her dying dad and stepdad, and now that dad and stepdad are
dead, you can't afford to move back to Massachusetts, right?


Actually, I haven' found any jobs inany state I've lived in, and
that's mainly due to the economy.
...
I have job, too.


You've never found a job anywhere you've lived.

But you have a job.

Huh?


I think he meant a job where you don't have to say, "Would you like to
Super Size that combo?"
  #9  
Old December 30th 03, 04:33 PM
Marc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bally's Total Fitness doesn't support soldiers deploying to Iraq



MuscleMan wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:45:08 GMT, Marc
wrote:


Someone has to do the Nat'l Guard stuff, otherwise you and I wouldn't
exist. There's no reason why Bally's can't let him out of the
contract, at leastuntil he gets back.


Agreed, since the arrangement was from the beginning to be able to
cancel should this sitch arise.


Yay! Yes! Not like they are going to be losing money, he could just
reumse it when he gets back.


I guess what prompted me to reply was the fact that he was using his
military "status" as an additional reason as to why he should have his
contract cancelled. Or at least using it to solicit sympathy from fellow
usenet users.

Also (as you wrote in your original message),

If you want to be locked into a LOAN for three years and pay for a gym
that you can't use while fighting for the U.S. in Iraq then sign your
life away.

Signing your life away = signing on with Bally's on a 3 year contract??!
I'd say that signing your life away = going to Iraq, but that's just my
opinion...

Enjoy your tour in Iraq, fighting for freedom (such as that which
"Bally's has given you")

Given the risks inherent inwhat he's doing and he's doing it for you,
you ought to have a little more respect.

Please explain to me what he's doing for me?

He signed up to defend you and your country, including it's economic
interests, while over there. Unless you want to have 3$ a gallon gas,
25% unemployment, and no control over your country's economic assets
then you will have to have people like him.


That's a bit broad -- that's more of "foreign policy's mandate" than
military specific (granted, the military is a part of foreign policy).
My comment was geared more towards the specific Iraq mission, and was
not commenting on broader American foreign policy.


Okay. well I was tryingto point out people like him make it possible
for us to live a good life. since he's willing to do that with
possibly hsi life, we should honor him back.


BTW, I'm a Canadian (but I guess it doesn't make a difference -- US Army
*is* Canada's army ).


Hmm?


Just an FYI to let you know that I'm in Canada, and we view GWB, the war
and everything differently than you (blame the media...). We simply (in
general) don't feel as strongly about the above as you do, that's all.

As far as I remember it,
OBL was the main man behind 9/11, not SH. And you'll note that no WMDs
were discovered in Iraq.

I agree, ad I don' agree with the War. Bu I doubt anyone deep down
wants to die. It doesn't justify the monkey shining going on with our
president or the oil companies either, but it doesn't make him wrong
to want to sign up and defend i all, even if what he is defending is
flawed.

He's willing to dedicate himself to our system evne to the point of
death and dumb poilitical manuevers. He should be given credit for
making or risking the ultimate sacrifice for defending us, even if the
war is unpopular.


I agree with most of what you say here, except that "credit should be
given for defending us". Dedication to something that you know (or
believe) is wrong, is not a good thing in my books. I'll give him credit
for doing things he believes are right, but not simply because his
commanding officer (pardon me if that's not the right term) ordered him
to Iraq.


Wel lokay. I would since he'd stick with something even if it goes
bad. You know perseverance. I knwo peopel who have had their marriages
last due to that, getting over the roguh spots.


I suppose I'm too young to have experienced that. However, getting
through rough times is not the same as doing something you believe
against.. Anyway, we're way OT here..


It's not a question of respect. There is no respect consideration here
-- he does not have the choice on Iraq

Not once he has signed up, no he doesn't ask any old veteran-they
signed up for the duration and to defend us and our system regardless
of what that meant. That makes him brave and patriotic.


No comment

The people we ought to be having problems with are the people who are
calling the shots and sending him there, not him. He didn't order the
war.


True enough -- I guess my comment was a little misplaced, but I'd like
the irony noted.


Duly noted. Thansk for a cogent and tacful and respectful rpely..
What's your political ideology BTW? If you feel like sharing it.


Likewise!

I suppose I'm just about center, wavers a little bit, but I believe a
good balance is necessary.
And you?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bally's Total Fitness (BTF) doesn't support deploying troops! Isiafs5 Aerobic 0 December 27th 03 08:15 PM
Vicodin Abusing No-Integrity Hypocrite ATP Weights 103 October 9th 03 06:51 PM
opinions? Bowflex vs. BodyByJake Total fitness trainer vs. others? Eric Reichenbach Weights 4 September 23rd 03 09:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 FitnessBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.