long torso, short legs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13th 04, 09:08 PM
GoodSwimFan

Default long torso, short legs

I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Race Report: Ironman New Zealand (long) IMKen Triathalon 5 March 31st 04 07:25 AM
Stroke Length ... what's all the fuss? 4precious Swimming 281 January 29th 04 01:58 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
Impact of rec.sport.swimming Larry Weisenthal Swimming 264 September 15th 03 06:07 PM
Optimal timing of long run and long bike? Dave Andersen Triathalon 0 July 16th 03 12:59 AM