Assynt Foundation

Old April 17th 05, 07:48 PM
Faolan

Default Assynt Foundation

For the people that may be interested:

http://www.assyntfoundation.co.uk/

Was forwarded to me today, do you want to aid preservation of part of
the Scottish highlands?

Nothing to do with me, just thought it would be useful to flag it up.
--
One man, One Camera and a Demented Vision:

www.CelticShadows.co.uk
Old April 17th 05, 08:36 PM
Dave P

"Faolan" wrote in message
For the people that may be interested:

http://www.assyntfoundation.co.uk/

Was forwarded to me today, do you want to aid preservation of part of
the Scottish highlands?

Nothing to do with me, just thought it would be useful to flag it up.

They are receiving 2.1 million towards the purchase of the estate already.
The missing 900,000 between 450 families is only 2000 each.

With the right to roam I can see no benefit in it for the visitor. The
benefits seem to be for the purchasers. Not inclined to put in myself.

By the way there's a lovely place near me I'd like to buy but I can't afford
it either. Any one got a few 1000 spare?

Dave

Old April 17th 05, 08:45 PM
druidh

Faolan wrote:
For the people that may be interested:

http://www.assyntfoundation.co.uk/

Was forwarded to me today, do you want to aid preservation of part of
the Scottish highlands?

Nothing to do with me, just thought it would be useful to flag it up.

Careful with that use of the word "preservation". Too many of these
community land deals are aimed at providing land for wind-farms in
return for a quick buck. While I'm not denying the rights of the
residents to make what they can of their lot, I certainly begrudge
subsiding their rapaciousness from the public purse.

druidh
Old April 17th 05, 10:03 PM
Peter Clinch

Dave P wrote:

They are receiving 2.1 million towards the purchase of the estate already.
The missing 900,000 between 450 families is only 2000 each.

2000 is not "only" to the great majority of these people. They're
not rich, and they will almost certainly continue not to be rich
even if they do get the land.

With the right to roam I can see no benefit in it for the visitor. The
benefits seem to be for the purchasers.

It goes rather beyond that: it might sound a bit touchy-feely, but
a primary benefit is returning some semblence of reason and
fairness to the distribution of rural land ownership in Scotland,
so it's owned by people that live on it rather than the people
being bought and sold along with their homes.

Not inclined to put in myself.

Fair enough, but I'd say your post gives an unfair impression that
the folk of Assynt are bunch of undeserving spongers.

By the way there's a lovely place near me I'd like to buy but I can't afford
it either. Any one got a few 1000 spare?

Do you live there? Has your family lived there for generations,
and been in thrall to whatever plans the owner has had for it?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 18th 05, 10:55 AM
Dave P

2000 is not "only" to the great majority of these people. They're not
rich, and they will almost certainly continue not to be rich even if they
do get the land.

Lets not feel sorry for them too quickly! There's no reason why any of those
families couldn't have gone elsewhere to live and work. If they chose to
live there with low employment opportunities fine, but why should we bail
them out?

It goes rather beyond that: it might sound a bit touchy-feely, but a
primary benefit is returning some semblence of reason and fairness to the
distribution of rural land ownership in Scotland, so it's owned by people
that live on it rather than the people being bought and sold along with
their homes.

As I said, no-one is forced to live there.

Fair enough, but I'd say your post gives an unfair impression that the
folk of Assynt are bunch of undeserving spongers.

I think its quite accurate description. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Do you live there? Has your family lived there for generations, and been
in thrall to whatever plans the owner has had for it?

History counts for nothing. If folk want a better life go and get it. The
attitude of we live, have always lived here and its unfair that there's no
work stands for nothing. The world doesn't owe them a living.

Dave

Old April 18th 05, 11:33 AM
Peter Clinch

Dave P wrote:

Lets not feel sorry for them too quickly! There's no reason why any of those
families couldn't have gone elsewhere to live and work.

You can give that as a get-out to anyone who's the wrong side of
comfortably off. Well done, you've just solved all the country's
economic problems, and it's not too late to get yourself elected in the
upcoming election! ;-/

If they chose to
live there with low employment opportunities fine, but why should we bail
them out?

It isn't a case of bailing out though. If it was bailing them out it
would be subsidising their continued presence in any shape or form,
which isn't what this does.

As I said, no-one is forced to live there.

As I said, you can give that as a get-out to anyone who's the wrong side
of comfortably off. So the only economic problems folk have in Scotland
are of their own making? Deary me...

I think its quite accurate description. Couldn't have put it better myself.

So you lack an imagination or much idea of what is being asked for.

History counts for nothing. If folk want a better life go and get it. The
attitude of we live, have always lived here and its unfair that there's no
work stands for nothing. The world doesn't owe them a living.

They're not asking for a living though. People in this situation are
after the right to say what is done with their own homes rather than
having diktats imposed on them by whim of (often absentee) landlords who
rarely have their interests at heart. They don't gain material wealth,
they gain a degree of freedom and independence

Pete.

Old April 18th 05, 11:41 AM
Colin MacDonald

Dave P wrote:
Lets not feel sorry for them too quickly! There's no reason why any of those
families couldn't have gone elsewhere to live and work. If they chose to
live there with low employment opportunities fine, but why should we bail
them out?

There's nothing about "bailing out" in the appeal - it's simply an
attempt to raise funds so that the people who live and work the land can
also own it. If they don't raise the cash then the land will be bought
by someone else. Chances are that 'someone else' will be a business
that would like to make some profit from the land, and, therefore, the
people that live on it.

You may choose not to be sympathetic with their aims, but the issue is
not so clear cut as to warrant your blanket encouragement to readers of
URW to dismiss the appeal as 'sponging'.

History counts for nothing. If folk want a better life go and get it. The
attitude of we live, have always lived here and its unfair that there's no
work stands for nothing. The world doesn't owe them a living.

Again, nothing about the appeal indicates that (a) they thing there's
anything unfair going on, (b) there's no work, or (c) they think the
world does owe them a living.

You haven't actually read the site, have you?

Colin
Old April 18th 05, 11:48 AM
Dave P

You haven't actually read the site, have you?

Colin

Don't be a fool! Of course I've read the site. The facts on it speak for
themselves. A group of 450 families being given 2.1 million pounds towards
buying their homes need to raise 2000 each and they're asking for help.

Pathetic isn't it.

Dave

Old April 18th 05, 11:58 AM
Peter Clinch

Dave P wrote:

Don't be a fool! Of course I've read the site. The facts on it speak fo=

r=20
themselves. A group of 450 families being given =A32.1 million pounds t=

owards=20
buying their homes need to raise =A32000 each and they're asking for he=

lp.
=20
Pathetic isn't it.

No, though your summary of their situation certainly merits that=20
description.

Pete.
--=20

Old April 18th 05, 12:02 PM
Dave P

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Dave P wrote:

Don't be a fool! Of course I've read the site. The facts on it speak for
themselves. A group of 450 families being given 2.1 million pounds
towards buying their homes need to raise 2000 each and they're asking for
help.

Pathetic isn't it.

No, though your summary of their situation certainly merits that
description.

They're the facts. Dispute them if you think they are wrong.

Dave