Bulls in fields

Old July 4th 03, 04:24 PM
Simon Challands

Default Bulls in fields

In message t
Irish Murdoch wrote:

I've just got back from one of my favourite walking places: Warton Crag in
North Lancashire. At one point of the walk, however, I was forced, and not
for the first time, to modify my route slightly. This was because of that
sneaky old farmer's trick: putting bulls in a field that he really wishes
there wasn't a footpath across.

I've a nagging suspicion that that may be illegal (the bull, not modifying
your route!)

--
Simon Challands, creator of
The Acorn Elite Pages: http://elite.acornarcade.com/
Old July 4th 03, 04:39 PM
Chris Street

Simon Challands wrote:
In message t
Irish Murdoch wrote:

I've just got back from one of my favourite walking places: Warton Crag in
North Lancashire. At one point of the walk, however, I was forced, and not
for the first time, to modify my route slightly. This was because of that
sneaky old farmer's trick: putting bulls in a field that he really wishes
there wasn't a footpath across.

I've a nagging suspicion that that may be illegal (the bull, not modifying
your route!)

Bulls of any recognised dairy breed, Frisiain, Holstein et al are
illegal in a field to which which the public has access if they are over
ten months old. All other bulls over this age must be kept with cows or
heifers. If it's a lone full size bull - take a photo and complain to
the HSE.

Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....

Old July 4th 03, 09:57 PM
Stuart

Irish Murdoch wrote in message
e.net...
Is anybody else put off by bulls, or do
you all just stride blithely across their fields with ne'er a second

thought
of being gored? What are the chances of a bull even caring that you're in

its
fields?

Irish

speaking with some experiance of livestock.........95% of the time the bull
couldn't care less if you were in the same field, in fact if you went and
booted it up the backside it probably still couldn't care less , BUT and a
very big BUT, bulls are very unpredictable (with or without the company of
cows) if you find yourself in the same field as a bull NEVER take your eye
off it, and ALWAYS have an escape route planned, ie stay next to a fence you
can jump over.

Old July 4th 03, 10:37 PM
peter hall

Hi I've been a lurker for some time now and feel for the first time that I
may have something to add to the thread.
Having worked with cattle for over 30 years I must agree with previous
writers that Bulls must at all times be treated with caution. They can turn
remarkably, almost on a sixpence (2.5p for you young 'uns) and can easily
out-run a human. However I have never been hurt or even had a close shave
with a Bull (possibly because of my caution) whereas I have suffered broken
ribs and more bruises than I could count from cows and more again from young
heifers. To heifers play is fun, and a friendly crowd of heifers gently
knocking you about can be the most painful of all. Carry a stick and don't
be afraid to use it if challenged, the brief pain you inflict on the animal
is nothing to what they are capable of doing to you, and they will forget it
in no time.

Peter

Old July 4th 03, 11:14 PM
Pief

ayeMeHarties: |[ peter hall's ]| ahoy...
[...]

You mean I can wack'em with a stick?
Now I know what to do, I thought that would just p,ss them off more
--
'pief:]t
Old July 4th 03, 11:08 PM
Martin Richardson

In article t, Irish
Murdoch writes
Is anybody else put off by bulls, or do
you all just stride blithely across their fields with ne'er a second thought
of being gored? What are the chances of a bull even caring that you're in its
fields?

Many decades ago when I was an impoverished (I avoided the word poor,
because it could have been misinterpreted as referring to my ability as
a...) student, I had a summer job working as a chain man for the Essex
River Authority. Anyway, one day a surveyor and I we were surveying the
line of a small stream through a farm when I stuck the pole in a wasps
nest. Swarms of wasps engulfed us so we legged it into the next field
where, unbeknownst to us there was bull. This bull then chased the
surveyor who escaped by jumping over a fence right into the
aforementioned stream.
He was not happy with me after the event and made it very clear -
indeed, he refused to work with me again.

--
Martin Richardson

216/284 Munros (32/34 'Furths')
27/89 Donalds 372/1552 Marilyns 439/439 Nuttalls

Old July 16th 03, 12:29 AM
RJ Webb

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:14:12 +0100, Pief [email protected] wrote:

[...]

No ... Its good advice. Handled cattle soon learn about sticks and
respect them. No 2 item in my anti bull armoury when I used to work
with them. (1 was of course a bucket of oats). Yet to have had trouble
with heifers, but they are intimidating if they get you running.

Richard Webb
Old July 4th 03, 11:10 PM
Martin Richardson

In article , peter hall
writes
Hi I've been a lurker for some time now and feel for the first time that I
may have something to add to the thread.

Welcome - and thanks for the info.