Workout Program

Old September 10th 05, 01:54 PM
Álvaro Rocha

Default Workout Program

Hi all! i'm from Portugal, and 18 years old and i've been going to the gym
for about a year ago.. but i haven't seen much effects.. but now i want to
change, all eat better and more, and i'm starting to attend the gym for 3
times a week!
The coach i've got there set me up a plan, and i need opinions about it..
So, i'll try to explain it the best way can, the program goes like this:

- Warm up - bike 10min.

- Free weight bar - 3x 12-10-8
- Flat Dumbell presses - 3x 12-10-8

- Incline Dumbell presses - 3x 12-10-8

- this fourth exercise i don't know how to tell you what it is.. is like..
a machine where i have to lift my own weight, only with my arms.. - 3x 10
- Train biceps with a bar - 3x 10-10-12

- Train biceps with dumbells - 3x 12-10-8

- Train biceps in the "Scott" bench with a Z shape Bar - 3x 10-8-6

- and as for the last exercise he put me up with all kinds of abs.. back,
lower, upper.. etc.

I just want to know what you think of this program and give me some tips
about new improvements, etc..

Thanks

Old September 10th 05, 05:23 PM
Bill Ropers

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:54:02 +0100, "Álvaro Rocha"
wrote:

. but now i want to
change,

A sex change.
TBR

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
"Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."
Old September 10th 05, 06:21 PM
Jason Earl

"Álvaro Rocha" writes:

Hi all! i'm from Portugal, and 18 years old and i've been going to the gym
for about a year ago.. but i haven't seen much effects.. but now i want to
change, all eat better and more, and i'm starting to attend the gym for 3
times a week!
The coach i've got there set me up a plan, and i need opinions about it..
So, i'll try to explain it the best way can, the program goes like this:

- Warm up - bike 10min.

I tend to like just jumping in, but a little cardio before hand
probably doesn't hurt.

- Free weight bar - 3x 12-10-8

I can't tell what this exercise is.

- Flat Dumbell presses - 3x 12-10-8

A pressing move, that's good.

- Incline Dumbell presses - 3x 12-10-8

Another press, that's probably more than you need.

- this fourth exercise i don't know how to tell you what it is.. is like..
a machine where i have to lift my own weight, only with my arms.. -
3x 10

I bet that you are talking about "dips." That's a great exercise, but
it is also the third exercise in your workout to hit the Triceps and
Pectorals.

- Train biceps with a bar - 3x 10-10-12

And now here come the bicep exercises.

- Train biceps with dumbells - 3x 12-10-8

More biceps

- Train biceps in the "Scott" bench with a Z shape Bar - 3x 10-8-6

Feeling the pump yet?

- and as for the last exercise he put me up with all kinds of abs.. back,
lower, upper.. etc.

And some ab work. Perfect. You have now exercised all of the muscles
that you can see in the mirror . You have so much volume work on
the body parts that you do exercise that you almost certainly can't
use very heavy weights.

I just want to know what you think of this program and give me some
tips about new improvements, etc..

There are several problems, in my opinion, with your workout. First
of all you are neglecting most of the muscles in your body. You have
piles of arm work, and nothing for your legs or back. Recently here
on MFW we had a survey of the five most important exercises, and it
didn't matter who made the list it invariably looked something like:

Deadlift
Squat
Bench Press
Pull up
Clean and Jerk

Actually they didn't all look exactly like this, but Deadlifts,
squats, presses, pullups, rows, and lifting stuff over your head
tended to make the list. Bicep curls and crunches tended to *not*
make the list. If you really want to make progress you need to stick
to the basic compound exercises where you can move a lot of weight.
It's also important to note that you simply aren't going to get big if
you don't work your lower body.

Jason
Old September 13th 05, 09:31 AM
Álvaro Rocha