Myth or Fact

Old November 25th 03, 09:43 PM
Kubaton Lover

Default Myth or Fact

A friend of mine who placed 15th in National Bodybuilding competition in
1998 is of the opinion that one can not build size using machines especially
via circuit training.

I'm not a circuit training person, but it seems to me that whether one uses
machines or free weights shouldn't make a difference. I use both and don't
know how I'd get as large a variety of exercises if it weren't for some
machines.

Any idea why so many people seem to think that machines can't give one size?

Old November 25th 03, 09:54 PM
Lyle McDonald

Kubaton Lover wrote:

A friend of mine who placed 15th in National Bodybuilding competition in
1998 is of the opinion that one can not build size using machines especially
via circuit training.

I'm not a circuit training person, but it seems to me that whether one uses
machines or free weights shouldn't make a difference. I use both and don't
know how I'd get as large a variety of exercises if it weren't for some
machines.

Any idea why so many people seem to think that machines can't give one size?

Is his criticism of machines or of circuit training?

B/c from a muscular standpoint, tension is tension. Whether it comes
from free weights, a machine or lifting big rocks is irrelevant. All
that matters is progressive tension overload + damage + time + nutrients
to get growth.

Most circuit training programs are aimed at keeping you moving/keeping
your heart rate up for extended periods. Towards this goal, they
recommend high reps, pussy weights and short rest periods. That's not
conducive to growth for most people.

also, if you're feeling particularly contentious, ask him if he ever leg
presses. What about hacks? Leg curls? How about pulldowns or cable rows?

I bet he says those work for mass.

Then point out that they are all machines.

Lyle

Old November 26th 03, 09:58 PM
Wendy

Kubaton Lover wrote:
A friend of mine who placed 15th in National Bodybuilding competition in
1998 is of the opinion that one can not build size using machines especially
via circuit training.

Machines that have the motion locked into one plane use less stabilizing
muscles and there's less damage to recover from, in my experience.

Machines that have only tension on the concentric motion don't seem like
they'd work as well at hypertrophy as ones that also work on the
eccentric. Those sorts of machines are commonly found in "circuit" routines,
for example, all the Curves chains.

The other problem is that a circuit routine is more likely to be guarded
by idiots forcing you to do stupid things in stupid order with stupid
workout plans. For example, the nautilus circuit at my gym only allows
ONE set, no rest between machines, and you must go in order. But the
machines are placed in an order dictated by asthetics, not muscle
use. There are two pec machines side by side and I find it blows my pecs
to do a heavy set on the first and go to the second with no rest.

But even if I didn't care about that, I'd still get very little growth
from doing the exact same routine in the same order over and over again.

I now consider the circuits to be for maintenance only.

Wendy