using a trampoline

Old January 22nd 04, 07:10 PM
nunya bitnizz

Default using a trampoline

Hi all!
I was wondering what you guys think of those personal sized trampolines for
use on days when I am not running. If you guys use them, how long do you
jump on them per use?

Thanks for the input

Georgetta
Old January 23rd 04, 07:10 AM
Dot

nunya bitnizz wrote:

Hi all!
I was wondering what you guys think of those personal sized trampolines for
use on days when I am not running. If you guys use them, how long do you
jump on them per use?

I haven't used a personal trampoline, but in my cross-training class we
use a runway trampoline and floor exerices mats for some jumping and
plyometric-like drills. A personal trampoline, I think, would be more
like jumping in place compared with what we usually do, but some drills
can certainly be done. They incorporate some proprioceptive feeling
also. As part of a plyometric circuit, we may use the trampoline for 5
minutes. As part of warmup with jumping over obstacles on floor exercise
mats, we may go 10-20 min. To do these on personal trampoline, you'd
just jump higher and not go forward. On a day when we jump over
obstacles, there's about 120 jumps involved in that part - for those
that can do all of them (only a few do).

BUT regardless of what anybody else does, you should start slowly and
build up, same as with running. Something we work on is getting the lift
from the toes, as if you were running.

Toward the end of the first page of this link are some ideas on number
of reps.
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0879.htm

Another way to use the trampoline, is to use it as an instability device
with proprioceptive drills. In the following link, look at the last
paragraph to get an idea of progression in proprioceptive drills. Read
the entire article though to understand the concept. These drills help
with balance and improve foot/ankle function.
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...rioceptive.htm

Or you could just bounce away, but be careful not to overdo it

Enjoy!

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope