"USA! USA! USA! ..."

Old July 28th 05, 07:39 AM

Default "USA! USA! USA! ..."

I go to the Yahoo website, and I'm stunned when I look at the current
events part on the right side because the headline reads that Grant
Hackett smashed Ian Thorpe's Swimming World Record. They only have a
few line items there, so I never would have believed that swimming
would make it onto that short list of current events. They have a
nice story about the 800m race, and they talk about the epic battle in
2001 in Japan, where Thorpe beat Hackett and took the record.

So I eagerly log onto usa-swimming and the headline reads, "Jensen sets
new American Record". So Jensen got the headline even though he lost
by about seven seconds. And about in paragraph five it says the race
was won by Hackett in world record time. I'm sure virtually every
national swim federation is like this - talking up their swimmers to
the exclusion of others. But if a world record falls, shouldn't that be
the headline?

Eric

Old July 28th 05, 09:15 AM
[email protected] (Larry Weisenthal)

Swiminfo.com said that the first half of Hackett's 800 was
"ridiculous."

3:47 first 400 on the way to a WR 800. They were right. Totally
ridiculous.

Old July 28th 05, 01:07 PM
jtaylor

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Americans think they own the internet - remember this?

it was off-topic. Your reasons do not trump the newsgroup charter.

Our constitution guarrantees the right of free speech.

Old August 2nd 05, 12:01 PM
Bob Smith

I think they probably made a mistake - they don't normally mention
non-American winners do they?

;-)

ups.com...