Cold weather gloves?

Old January 24th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

Default Cold weather gloves?

Anyone have those combo gloves/mitts whereby the mitt
part is sewn to the cuff of the glove and can be pulled
down to cover fingers or pulled back to use fingers?

If yes what brand/style do you have or can you
recommend some?

Thanks
Old January 24th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.running
Mark Cleary

Mittens are the only thing to really use when it is super cold I have a
pair of wool mitten with some heavy lining. I don't care what brand it
is I buy all these things at the Farm and Fleet or Menards. Never buy
these things at running stores they have high prices on things that are
not as good. Just like a hat, I have a wool hat with heavy lining the
head has to stay warm especially my mine, what little brains I have need
all the protection they can get. Otherwise for temps that are not too
bad many in the 30's I wear really cheap work gloves of heavy cotton
that work fine. Thinsulated or something like that I also have but again
bought at Farm and Fleet.

Mark Cleary plays Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars
Handmade http://hollenbeckguitar.com/

Old January 24th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

Mark Cleary wrote:

Mittens are the only thing to really use when it is super cold

I agree abt mittens when it is cold but my question was
abt the usefulness of the "combo" gloves/mittens
Old January 24th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

tfactor wrote:

I'd probably have been better off with regular mittens, though. The
convertibility isn't really necessary or helpful for running and it
makes them a little drafty and less warm than single-purpose mittens for
non-running purposes. For general warmth I'd rather have a warmer pair
of mittens that I'd just take off briefly whenever I needed finger
dexterity.

OK.... well I may be bike riding with them as well so
thought maybe the combo units would be best for
that..... but maybe not
Old January 24th 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.running
Dot

wrote:
Anyone have those combo gloves/mitts whereby the mitt
part is sewn to the cuff of the glove and can be pulled
down to cover fingers or pulled back to use fingers?

If yes what brand/style do you have or can you
recommend some?

Thanks

I don't have those glo-mitts for running, but I love these:
http://www.runningmitts.com/waterproofshell.html
and they work better, IMHO. I can take my fingers out completely to get
stuff from pocket or tie shoes or whatever. And if they get wet inside
or out, they're easier to dry then some of the insulated snow mittens I
have. rms was looking at getting some and not sure if he followed
through or not.

I had her make them for me with windbloc (2 weights available) as the
outside, and I think she used fleece for the palm side. I've actually
had her make several pairs for me for really cold vs med cold vs cool
temperatures. I'd have to look up all the combinations I ended up with
(my part for the economy). I'm intending to make a table when I've had a
chance to test them all, but shortly after the heavier weight ones came,
we got hit by a pineapple express and temps went up almost to +50F with
almost 1 inch of rain in 24 hrs = entire breakup snowmelt plus rain in
one day = total mess that's now refrozen.

I had originally asked her about how wind resistant her fleece mittens
were, and she gave me the link to the place where she gets her fabrics
and let me decide what I wanted and sent me swatches. My experience had
been that my hands get cold in regular fleece, but if I have some wind
resistance, then they're ok, until they get really warm. These slit
mittens allow me to take my hands out as they warm without having to
deal with taking mittens off and dropping one.

If you're going much below 0F, something warmer or layered might be
better and comes up farther on the wrist, but I think the combos I've
got will probably work to about -10F or so, if I'm not cold to start.
And they work really well for me down to 0F. I was out today in a
windbloc pair in about +13F and 10-20mph wind, and ended up pulling my
fingers out. The Windpro ones that I started in didn't have enough wind
resistance.

I do have a heavy pair of camo glo-mitts that I originally had gotten
for the biking part of winter tri, but they were too fat to work the
gears or brakes, iirc (wal-mart hunting dept, iirc). They even have a
slit for a finger to slip out of the glove part if you wanted to press a
lap button, but are generally too awkward. And it's really challenging
to get all the fingers in their slots, then the fingers in the mitten. I
was going to use them for timing a bike slalom race a couple weeks ago,
but ended up just putting chemical warmers in my warm mittens and take
my hand out to press the watch buttons and record time.

Dot

--
"Dream big and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughan
world-famous adventurer who was with Byrd in Antarctica and died Dec 23,

Old January 24th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

Dot wrote:

If you're going much below 0F, something warmer or layered might be
better and comes up farther on the wrist, but I think the combos I've
got will probably work to about -10F or so, if I'm not cold to start.
And they work really well for me down to 0F. I was out today in a
windbloc pair in about +13F and 10-20mph wind, and ended up pulling my
fingers out. The Windpro ones that I started in didn't have enough wind
resistance.

Ok thanks Dot

Yes I can see where those are better than glo-mitts as
you call them

I was hoping to find something for BOTH running and
bike use though and not sure your shells would work for
biking

I have this crazy idea of riding my bike somehow,
locking it up, and then running a trail, then reverse
order

I went bike riding yesterday in abt 15 deg temps with
only my fingerless bike gloves and had to com e back as
my hands juts got NUMB from the wind chill. Came home
and got some old socks to put over bike gloves but then
was hard to use brake levers etc
Old January 24th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.running
Daniel-San

wrote in message
Anyone have those combo gloves/mitts whereby the mitt
part is sewn to the cuff of the glove and can be pulled
down to cover fingers or pulled back to use fingers?

If yes what brand/style do you have or can you
recommend some?

Thanks

I use these:
https://www.nationalrunningcenter.co...number=MZW-128

I use these when the temp is below 15 or so, or if the wind is particularly
strong. I like the fact that the "windshield" part can be folded back to
help regulate the temperature.

-Dan

Old January 24th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

Dot wrote:

I don't have those glo-mitts for running, but I love these:
http://www.runningmitts.com/waterproofshell.html
and they work better, IMHO. I can take my fingers out completely to get

Do you think you could control bike brake and shift
levers with above? With fingers IN the mitt part that
is?
Old January 24th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.running
Melinda Shore

In article ,
wrote:
I was hoping to find something for BOTH running and
bike use though and not sure your shells would work for
biking

I find that in general when running my hands tend to be a
lot warmer than if I were just walking, and when riding a
bike they tend to be much colder. Aside from the heat
generated by exercise you swing your arms some when you run
and you don't when you ride, plus wind effect when you ride,
plus some people carry too much weight on their hands and
cut off the circulation.

I like windblock fleece for running and skiing down to about
5F.

Cold weather tip I've not yet seen written-about dizzy Running 3 January 13th 09 12:48 AM
Cold weather running carver Running 1 December 26th 04 12:42 AM
For cold weather running Dennis Running 2 December 25th 04 04:38 PM
Cold weather running Josh Running 8 February 27th 04 09:27 AM
clothing in cold weather ttjjekk119234 Running 22 February 17th 04 07:21 PM