Race Report: Hot Chocolate 15K/NYC

Old December 4th 04, 09:13 PM
Lanceandrew

Default Race Report: Hot Chocolate 15K/NYC

NYC, Hot Chocolate 15K / 9.3Mi, NYRR.

Gorgeous blue skies in NYC this morning...the air was crisp and cold. 32
Degrees F. Most of the leaves have fallen in Cental Park so things are
starting to look rather barren. Other than the NYC marathon I had not raced
in 2 months so it was nice to get back in the standard groove of my running
club, seeing the familiar faces, your "week-in-week-out" people you know
you're going to be battling with in that final mile, etc. At the start I saw a
couple fo Donovan's teammates and asked if he was there....I could not spot him
and his teammates had no idea. One of his teammates did say to me Donnie's
laying low until this Balco thing blows over. I understood. *joke alert*
that is a joke people....ha ha ha...For those that don't know...Donovan is a
strict microbiotic vegan or some crap like that. I myself am a fish eating
vegetarian....but Donnie is something fare more extreme than me! I figured
Donnie's holding back to blow his load (strictly speaking so to speak of
course) at next weeks 10K. Back to the race.

OK it's cold. I have on a NB coolmax longsleeve shirt, asics shorts, knit cap
& gloves, coolmax socks & my nb 700s flats. This race was at the boarder line
gear wise for me. 32F. Had it been 5 degrees or so cooler, I might have
worn a light jacket, perhaps a thermal top, perhaps tights. 5 degrees
warmer, i never would have had on the cap or gloves. this race started at the
freezing point or what for me is the boarder line. Many were geared up like
me....of the competitive runners....a few had on tights....a few tank
singlets...most gloves...a few no cap at all. Race starts...reflected on how
I had not ran in 3 days.....I'm feeling good and light. Had not ran in 3
days.....was glad to be racing.

When I race I want to latch on to a rail. A familair comfort mechanism or
"zone trigger mechanism" to allow me to get into my "place" or "zone". All
Summer and Fall I trained w/ a Nike Runners cap on....right on my brow making a
slightly visiable arch (brim of the cap) allowing me to see 10-15m in front of
me and nothing else. This facilitated conjuring a hypnotic effect to allow me
to not be aware of anything (hills, weather, etc.) and just run free. With a
winter knit cap on with no Brow.....everything just felt unfamiliar and
"off"...foreign...etc. Oh well...in a nanosecond I accepted my new
surroundings and simply tried to find my runnign zone.

I did not wear a watch....had my first awareness of time at mile 4, 26:40....in
my head did some quick calculations and felt, "OK"...6:40 pace is OK at this
juncture for me. At this point with how I was feeling...I just thought,
"maintain this lance" and this will be victory. So I focus on my strides and
breathing...knowing I wanted to maintain this 6:40 going forward. I hit the 5
mile mark, the sun is now above most of the course, it's rays are warm, I
scanned the runners in front of me and a few had no gloves on....so at the 5
mile mark I tossed my cap and gloves to the side of the course/road.

I hit the 6 mile mark and the timer/volunteer guy says 40:02! I do the math
as I am racing and I'm thinking..."No F'ing way". I was astonished and as I
ran kept thinking....could that be right? It really blew my mind to hear that
time. At this point I'm thinking...."bring this mf'er home Lance". I tried to
get into an uncounsious zone where I could just run free....never got there.
Commencing at mile 7.5-8 many of the runner that train per the book for this
stuff started to pass me. No kidding. It's a rude awakening when those that
have trained properly demonstrate, illustrate in real life...the value of
proper training. Me?...bascially defenseless. These people passing me have
stores, theyre right where they expected to be at this point in the race and
have the reserves to pour it on....while I'm trying to freakin' hold on.

So at mile 9....I give total effort and said to myself, "oh well"...just anothe
race. I finish, put on a decent kick and pass some folks....finsihed with a
1:02:28, 6:43/mile. I wondered what in the hell happend to that 40:02 time
pace? I can't believe I fell off the map to that extent.....and I question
that time-caller's accuracy.....and then started wondering if I tossed my
cap/gloves too sone? I feel the race was a "8" - "8.5" for me. I did clock a
full minute lower than I did for the same race 2 years ago. When you're
over 40, and you beat a time you clocked in your 30's....you're Happy! So all
things considered....I'm feeling OK about this mornings race. I missed some
goals, I hit some goals, when the smoke cleared....it was an overall "thumbs
up" personally.

It was a gorgeous day in Central Park. And today I did something I really
never have done before. After my finish....I positioned myself to watch, root,
and cheer on the other runners that were just now finishing. It's a hell of a
lot of fun to try and encourage someone 50 yards shy of the finish to put on a
kick! It really makes a differnce when total strangers cheer and root you
on....to be your best. I know that from experience, and simply felt a
responsibility to pass that along to another. I hope I did.

Amazing/Interesting Fact about todays race? Finishers?
Men – 1614 Women – 1618

Never have I seen I so even w/3000+ runners.......and more women then men!

Old December 4th 04, 09:46 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2004-12-04, Lanceandrew wrote:

[...]

You held a pretty even pace for the first 6. Your average for the last 3.3
miles was a 6:48, only 5 seconds per mile slower than average. Not quite
negative splits, but it's still pretty close to an even pace. In terms of how
you paced yourself, this has got to be one of your better races. So I think
that your feeling that the wheels didn't fall off is justified, even though
you slowed down and dropped a few places.

I don't think running a few seconds positive hurts that much -- when you go out
a little fast, you end up in front of some people who were "meant to be" in
front of you, so it's not really a loss when they claim the position that was
theirs to begin with.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old December 5th 04, 02:52 AM
Tony

Lanceandrew wrote in message
snipped
OK it's cold. I have on a NB coolmax longsleeve shirt, asics shorts, knit

cap
& gloves, coolmax socks & my nb 700s flats. This race was at the boarder

line
gear wise for me. 32F. Had it been 5 degrees or so cooler, I might have
worn a light jacket, perhaps a thermal top, perhaps tights. 5 degrees
warmer, i never would have had on the cap or gloves. this race started at

the

No wind? Did you really need the hat? Light gloves always seem necessary
to me below 50f, though at race pace I'd tend to take them off after a
little while (as you did).

When I race I want to latch on to a rail. A familair comfort mechanism or
"zone trigger mechanism" to allow me to get into my "place" or "zone". All
Summer and Fall I trained w/ a Nike Runners cap on....right on my brow

making a
slightly visiable arch (brim of the cap) allowing me to see 10-15m in front

of
me and nothing else. This facilitated conjuring a hypnotic effect to

allow me
to not be aware of anything (hills, weather, etc.) and just run free......

Zombie out! - I never thought of doing that intentionally, though it seems
to happen naturally after a while in longer races. I guess for redlining
stuff like that helps you focus.

I did not wear a watch....

Curious why no watch?

[...]

Looks like a great race to me and doesn't seem like you "fell off" much at
all. As for the guys who passed you; that's just their tactics, you ran a
more even race than they did. Why would tossing your cap/gloves too soon
slow you down - you got cold? I'd have tossed the hat and kept the gloves,
at least for a while. Nice improvement by a minute in the same race.

It was a gorgeous day in Central Park. And today I did something I really
never have done before. After my finish....I positioned myself to watch,

root,
and cheer on the other runners that were just now finishing. It's a hell

of a
lot of fun to try and encourage someone 50 yards shy of the finish to put

on a
kick! It really makes a differnce when total strangers cheer and root you
on....to be your best. I know that from experience, and simply felt a
responsibility to pass that along to another. I hope I did.

I did this at my 50k and 10 miler, and yea it's really great to cheer
others. At the 10 miler, I stayed and watched the first 30-40 marathon
finishers and that was cool, seeing the finish of the winner at 2:22 or
something, and the sub 3hrs runners. After my own recent marathon I was too
spent and cold to stand around at the finish.

Amazing/Interesting Fact about todays race? Finishers?
Men – 1614 Women – 1618

Never have I seen I so even w/3000+ runners.......and more women then men!

That's a lot of runners damn! Nice job Lance.

-Tony

Old December 5th 04, 09:32 AM
Brian Baresch

Good race, Lance. I ran the same one 2 years ago when I was in NYC on
vacation -- in fact I was just wearing the T-shirt a couple of days
ago. I was just a few weeks into my "get back in shape and lose weight
dammit" program; I think I finished in the neighborhood of 1:24.
Nowadays I'd be in your vicinity.

I remember it well; there was 8 inches of snow on the ground, and they
declared it a "fun run" because not all the streets were clear of ice.
It was cold enough that the cups of water at the aid stations were
freezing over. One of my favorite races ever.

You hit 6 miles at 6:40 pace and finished averaging 6:43, so you only
slowed up 9 seconds/mile over the last 3.3. Not bad really,
particularly since you weren't checking your splits along the way.

Thanks for the report!

--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill
Old December 6th 04, 06:58 PM
Vimal

Lance,

congratulations on a great race and also for beating the best time from
your previous decade. You also had near even splits, very cool! One
(tongue-in-cheek) question for you: were you running hard enough if you
had time to think about feeling uncomfortable after removing your cap
and gloves.

-Vimal