Training week ending August 3 2014

Old August 5th 14, 04:46 AM posted to rec.running
rms[_2_]

Default Training week ending August 3 2014

Greetings wreck runners: Please tell us about your training week and
goals!

Ok, I was really missing these. Come back, JHurley, come back!

So....looks like my last post was after finishing the Valles Caldera
marathon. After that came the Jemez Mountain 50 miler
http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=24422 I was up for the 50kfeet
climbing award (one guy was up for the 100kfeet award, wow) and was mostly
looking just to finish, but fully expected to set a new PR. Alas I made the
same mistake I've made repeatedly on this course, not drinking enough in the
first 20miles. It gets hot once you drop down into the Caldera, and it's
flat, which I hate, and just like many times before my pace went pretty much
to 0miles/min and I was getting nauseous and hating life. Thankfully --
well, I shouldn't say that -- the weather, which had cleared up for the
early part of the day, began drizzling, threatened snow and temperatures
dropped rapidly. At this point I had reached, I forget the aidstation name,
but it was at the bottom before the last major climb of the race, going up
to 10000ft. I was shivering, my rain jacket was at the next aidstation at
the top of the peak (this seemed logical pre-race as we came through that AS
twice), and when a resupply vehicle offered a ride I instantly said yes,
remembering a nearly identical situation years before at the San Juan
Solstice 50 where the weather turned from pleasant drizzle to blowing snow
at 12,000ft after I'd left my jacket at the base of the mountain in clear
skies.

So yeah, a total miserable failure. Turned out, the entire race was called
soon after, as conditions worsened, and many runners who were well-prepared
and more courageous than I were forced to stop at the peak, and only the top
20 were allowed to finish. After which, in the way of things, the storm
passed as quickly as it had come.

The next race was http://newmexicofa50k.wordpress.com/baldy_50k/ which only
a few people did last year. This year, the word spread to a group of
seasoned trailrunners. Since I'd been trying an off-and-on keto diet for
some weeks, I decided to embrace that mindset, and ate low-carb to the night
before, then added a mini-carbload of two bagels that night, and two more
the next morning, which Noakes advocated doing in an interview. In
addition, I cut back my drink mix to 100cal/20oz, along with a Justin's
Nutbutter packet every two hours. This worked great, my energy was good
throughout, the drink always tasted good, and I think the Justin's helped
keep my stomach happy. I wore the NB MT00v2, which is a zerodrop minimal
shoe, but with very good cushion and protection and excellent grip, with
Superfeet Carbon insoles, to provide a bit more arch and rock protection.
The MT00v2 is my favorite shoe this year, so fun to wear, and it shined on
this course. Close to a perfect race for me: I dropped 2hrs from last
year's time, and my only major mistake was being in too much of a rush to
drink extra water at the last stream, and finished up a bit dehydrated, but
very exhilarated at a solid 2nd place behind a well above average runner.

Finally was La Luz, usually my focus race of the year, in which I try to go
all-out. This year it was almost an afterthought after Baldy, and I
finished a few minutes behind last year's time, but had boundless energy to
spare, and jogged back down the mountain afterwards, then cycled to a pub
for beer. A good day! Next project is RRR100, which I'm actually looking
forward to, and not dreading. This could be my last 100mile attempt, so
I'll try to prepare well.