Training week ending September 14 2014

Old September 21st 14, 08:11 PM posted to rec.running
rms[_2_]

Default Training week ending September 14 2014

Greetings wreck runners: Please tell us about your training week and
goals!

RRR100 rabbitrunsteamboat.com/ 32:29 I'd wanted to try a mountain 100
again, and as a few people I knew had already entered in this race, and
being a qualifier for both WS100 and Hardrock, while requiring no
volunteering commitment, RRR was an easy choice.

Preparation: I'm not a big training volume guy, I'm just not. No 30miles
one day and 20 the next to 'learn how to run on tired legs': Nope. What I
*did* do were many 6-8mile flat jogs, cycling, and a lot of hill repeats.
Finding a nice steep river-rock-and-sand arroyo embankment near home, I'd do
from 20 to as many as 40 ~20sec hill repeats up this embankment, who's
downhill was uneven but soft and forgiving, and I felt really strengthened
my ankles. I'd come off one of these sessions energized, and high-step the
entire mile back to my bike. Also in the weeks previous, 5 or 6 ~2.5hr
10mile runs up and down the local mountain, a 2500ft climb, during which I'd
focus on whether my Baldy 50k eating strategy -- one nut butter packet every
2hrs, & a weak tailwind solution -- was still working, and practice my
downhill form, with the goal of finishing up feeling fairly good and not
sore and dehydrated.

Nutrition: Again, being competitive was out the window for me. I'm a
mid-pack guy, not competitive by nature, and getting old, so the goal -- by
default more than conscious choice -- was comfortable completion (though I
did have a vague wish to beat 30hrs and get a 'gold' buckle). I've DNF'd
many times. What knocks me out of races is usually not one thing, but a
combination of dehydration, nausea, and muscle pain. So to address
nutrition, I've become impressed with LCHF diet and it worked well for me in
my last 50k, and for RRR I went all-in and ate low-carb all the way to race
day. My last meals on the long drive up consisted of avocados, nuts,
hard-boiled eggs, bun-less quarter-pounders w/cheese, plenty of water, and
even a few small shots of olive oil and miso soup.

During the daylight hours of the race I stuck to the 'plan' of one nut
butter packet every 2hours and 300cal of tailwind in a 70oz bladder, which
I'd empty out and refill at roughly 2hr intervals. As long as I had
regular, clear pees, that's all I was concerned about hydration-wise, and
indeed I had no issues on this front. However, after nightfall and for most
of the remainder I became increasingly sloppy and negligent about fueling,
to the point of not even checking my watch, which by now was covered with
layers of clothing. Becoming increasingly sore and uninterested in running
at all, was likely due to just not being fully fat-adapted and not eating
enough, besides inadequate long training. But I was mentally alert
throughout, and a happy stomach that gave me no problems made me perfectly
ok with walking. At around 14+ hours into the race, I began eating
aid-station food, namely potato soup, bacon, cheese/meat wraps, and a
hard-boiled egg or two I'd put in dropbags. I carried Scaps, but only used
a few, mostly after emptying the plain bottle of water I carried.

Following a post-race binge of 1.5 large pizzas and a couple beers, I went
right back to LC and maintained it through a hard and wonderful day-after of
mountain-biking on the local trails (the Emerald Park trail system), during
which I again had no cramps and just mild soreness. I'd label my nutrition
for the race a success, though execution needs attention.

Strength Training: I've been increasingly doing simple core-type exercises
for many months now, and ramped this up pre-race. In a circuit fashion I
did many repeats of various routines found on runner's world, etc; no need
to list them, but targeted to hip and upper-leg strength. In addition I
used a 10lb weight on a strap around my foot to do leg extensions (quads),
leg-raises from the hip (hip flexors), and abductor/adductor raises. I had
no ITB, hip flexor, or knee pains, and credit these exercises. Towards the
end I also used this same 10lb weight to do 'ankle raises' while laying in
bed, turning from side to side and doing 100 repeats to strengthen the small
lower leg muscles on all 3 sides. I couldn't rig it to do calf raises,
that'll have to be a separate project.

The Race: Well, I'll see what little flashbacks stand out for me: A tough
starting climb straight up a grassy ski slope under clear skies (perfect
weather the entire race), followed by increasingly steep and rocky
single-track in a stream valley, that I knew would be slow going coming back
up that night. Then a short section of downhill pavement, followed by
probably the most enjoyable portion of the race for me, on single-track
cycling trails I would ride all over in a couple days. I was slightly over
a 24hr pace through here, increasingly confident of a sub-30hr finish.
Jogging with a fellow runner while he related his experience during the
2013 race of encountering 3 full-grown mountain lions crossing the Dry Lake
road at 3AM, and how these races were a primal experience for him (I had no
such feelings; being alert and fully cognitive the entire night, I was
mostly just annoyed at my sore back, and at the RD for having such long
repetitive service and logging road segments). On the returning road
segment, watching as the leading Hares -- Rob Krar, Josh Arthur, Nick Clark,
Bronco Billy, etc, wearing shoes such as the Huaka, OneOne^2 (with a
Superior stoneguard insole), Lone Peak 2 (Altra is a main sponsor), passed.
They'd started 4hrs later and were already passing at ~40miles. I wore an
old pair of Bondi B2's, followed by Stinson Evos for the second half;
probably could've gone much lighter, but played it conservatively.

Nightfall hit me like a brick wall on the way back up Fish Creek Falls. I
had a good headlamp, I had a windbreaker over a longsleeve shirt, an
insulated hat; those were not great, but ok. But the light gloves I'd put
on were inadequate for the rapid drop in temperature. By the time I reached
the next aidstation, I'd soaked both feet in puddles, was shivering, my
hands were unusable. I was certain I'd be dropping here. But before I did
anything else I had to warm up and dress: my fingers could not manipulate
laces or zippers. As I silently listened to an injured runner being told
evacuation was not an option due to remoteness, I focused on warming my
fingers on the small wood fire, and going over my drop bag contents: I had
new shoes and socks; I had fleece and rain jackets; mittens and chemical
warmers. Finally I was able to slowly don all these garments, along with
running tights borrowed from a volunteer (I returned them post-race), eat
some potato soup, and feel able to continue. Catastrophe Averted. It had
taken 4+ hours to go the 10miles from the last aidstation, and I'd sat well
over an hour in this aidstation. I had no idea what time it was.

All time goals were history, and I gave no further thought to them. But I
felt an intense relief at being back on the trail, bundled up and actually
comfortable, with my hands warming rapidly. I just reveled in walking, with
brief downhill jogs, in the clear calm night, chatting occasionally with
other runners. Shook hands with last year's winner, Jason Schlarb, who was
manning an aid-station and said he was jealous I'd be seeing the sunrise
(yeah right, haha). After daybreak on the interminable last climb, gently
chiding a young lady for slowing down; she tapped me later as her second
wind hit, and we played tag until the final downhill. My second wind hit
then, and I felt strong as an ox and pain-free, doing 6-7min miles for the
last section, and high-fiving everyone I saw to the finish. I think that
was Karl Meltzer I h5'd right at the end, looked like him anyway haha;
that's the 2nd time. A hug, buckle, and shower later, and I was good as
new. A good day! Next up: A local 50miler, Deadman Peaks, late next
month.

rms

Old October 27th 14, 09:09 AM
crixussteave crixussteave is offline
Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to crixussteave Send a message via Skype™ to crixussteave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms[_2_] View Post
[...]

Its been two weeks since i have started jogging. Still trying to build stamina
Small Biz SEO