Fall into Winter & Running

Old November 23rd 04, 07:18 PM
Lanceandrew

Default Fall into Winter & Running

had a nice run yesterday....ran in day light hours in nyc's central park.
warm enough to where i could wear a light running jacket and shorts....about 50
degrees F. i was road running but got as much of a trail feel as i suppose
i'll get w/thousands and thousands of Fall's leaves scattered on the
road....the colors were as you would expect but i noted as i had my head up
looking about 10 meters ahead....the leaves/colors and the patterns they seem
to collect into on the road almost become like a kaleidoscope...and it becomes
almost hypnotic. Fall Running is the best.

i saw lots of great fall colors still at this late date on the trees....but
soon i know it will become barren. that's the toughest running imo. when it's
barren and cold. it's nice w/a fresh new coat of snow...but when there's no
snow nicely blanketing the landscape...and it's just barren and cold....that's
brutal running. you can't even spot a squirrel or bird....and that's when you
say, "why in the F am i out here"? i dread the thought of those days coming.
Fall has got to be the nicest time of the year to run. if i had an available
trail path/run....i'd run in the day light all the time simply to enjoy the
environment. but alas...yesterday was an exception....and tonight i will be
running at night with the new york city lights towering over central park.
beautiful but in a different way.

this is the time of the year where many hang up the shoes till Spring. They
want nothing to do with Dec, Jan, & Feb....for those of you that live where it
tends to get cold........ those barren, cold, dank days are coming....that's
the hardest running as there are lots of reasons to cut your run short or not
even go out at all. Well I've got my gore-tex jacket & mits and am going to
try and sustain my training through this Winter.....we'll see. Good luck
w/your winter running everyone & happy thanksgiving
Old November 23rd 04, 07:34 PM
Tom Phillips

Lanceandrew wrote:

[...]

Nothing like a good run in a foot of snow on a february night
with the white stuff blowing in your face. Crosstraining was
never better...
Old November 23rd 04, 08:39 PM
Twittering One

[Tom]
Nothing like a good run in a foot of snow on a february night
with the white stuff blowing in your face. Crosstraining was
never better...

White mustachioed, you!
All dusted,
Too many donuts?
Or drunk your coke
Too much?
Here, Tom, some white
Chocolate for you!
Seen Michael, snuckly
Caped Cod Dealer
Dog?

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old November 23rd 04, 08:43 PM
Twittering One

[Tom]
Nothing like a good run in a foot of snow on a february night
with the white stuff blowing in your face. Crosstraining was
never better...

White mustachioed, you!
All dusted,
Too many donuts?
Or drunk your coke
Too much?
Here, Tom, some white
Chocolate for you!
Seen Michael, snuckly
Caped Cod Dealer
Dog?

....Boston
Blizzard, 1979...

_______

Old November 23rd 04, 10:05 PM
Twittering One

...Boston
Blizzard, 1979...

....or 7?

_______

Old November 24th 04, 03:44 PM
rick++

You hit on on one of the great joys of running.
Most people reading this newsgroup are probably spending a substantial
amount of time inside of buildings in artificial environments and in
front of computer screens.
Running gets people out into the fresh air, the weather and sky,
plants, animals and people.
Your body and senses are revved up by effort of running to more appreciate it all.
Old November 25th 04, 01:02 AM
FabulustRunner

Your body and senses are revved up by effort of running to more appreciate it
all.

Then why the lack of brain activity on your part? You must be a treadmill
runner.
Old November 26th 04, 09:14 PM
Tony

So true. Consistency outdoors is a challenge when it's barren, but so
different and often wonderful in the snow. Mostly I miss those long summer
daylight hours - the ending of daylight savings time sucks, turning out the
lights on those pre-dinner runs.

On the other hand, in winter there are no bugs, usually there's no mud on
the trails if they're frozen, and it's a blast glissading on downhill
sections of trail runs when its icy or snowy. It's all what you make it.

-Tony

Old December 1st 04, 10:15 PM
greyhnd001

1st winter since getting bak started at running. I love the challenge.
The only thing I realy hate about winters is the shorter days. I'll
have to see how I handle the cold this year.