Fall into Winter & Running

Old December 2nd 04, 06:32 PM
gym gravity

Lanceandrew wrote:

this is the time of the year where many hang up the shoes till Spring. They
want nothing to do with Dec, Jan, & Feb....for those of you that live where it
tends to get cold........ those barren, cold, dank days are coming....

Morning running at that time of year is great. The sense of cold and
barrenness is magnified to the point that it becomes an attraction.
Someday there will be tourism on the moon. The lonely animal you do see
at that time of year and at that time of day will stand out, and you
will feel it looking at you. Often it will just be a hawk, perched on a
high branch, straining to catch as much of the first warming rays of
sunlight it can.

Overdress at first. As you get used to it you will figure out what you
can get away without.
Old December 5th 04, 05:02 AM
greyhnd001

gym gravity wrote in message ...
Lanceandrew wrote:

this is the time of the year where many hang up the shoes till Spring. They
want nothing to do with Dec, Jan, & Feb....for those of you that live where it
tends to get cold........ those barren, cold, dank days are coming....

Morning running at that time of year is great. The sense of cold and
barrenness is magnified to the point that it becomes an attraction.
Someday there will be tourism on the moon. The lonely animal you do see
at that time of year and at that time of day will stand out, and you
will feel it looking at you. Often it will just be a hawk, perched on a
high branch, straining to catch as much of the first warming rays of
sunlight it can.

Overdress at first. As you get used to it you will figure out what you
can get away without.

I've just started running in 30 degree weather and its not so bad. I
always end up unzipping the jacket and taking the headband and gloves
off halfway into the run. It amazes me how much heat the body produces
on its own while running.
Old December 5th 04, 04:08 PM
Phil M.

Leafing through rec.running, I read Lanceandrew's message of 23 Nov
2004:

this is the time of the year where many hang up the shoes till Spring.
They want nothing to do with Dec, Jan, & Feb....for those of you
that live where it tends to get cold........ those barren, cold, dank
days are coming....that's the hardest running as there are lots of
reasons to cut your run short or not even go out at all. Well I've
got my gore-tex jacket & mits and am going to try and sustain my
training through this Winter.....we'll see. Good luck w/your winter
running everyone & happy thanksgiving

I live in Atlanta. It is never too cold to run here (average low of 30F in
January). IMO, July and August are the worst months for running (average
highs of 88F). November through March are the best (average highs of 49 -
67F). I've noticed that there are very few people out running during these
ideal months. They come out in the spring and continue running thruough the
hottest months. I don't get it.

Phil M.
Old December 6th 04, 05:47 PM
gym gravity

Lanceandrew wrote:

[...]

Usually it takes me 5 runs of 20F or so before I realize what kind of
clothing would be best, usually overdressing at first. Once I find what
I like, it's usually far less than what I started with. The initial
5-10 minutes of the run (if properly dressed) are so painfully cold
(refreshing), that if I hadn't arrived at that by trial and error, I'd
be running back to my couch.