Noakes on Recovery after Ultras

Old December 6th 04, 04:52 AM
Dot

Tony wrote:

In that case then the Trailrunner bit quoted him severely out of context,
not surprising really, but it also seems he wasn't making things very clear
either.

Right, but the issue is really more with Noakes than with TR. He
basically moved part of the Fordyce section to a more general section
(and it's not obvious). Whether he now has additional information (ie.
not extrapolating only from Fordyce) to suggest this is true for his
perception of running, I don't know.

OTOH, why is TR citing stuff about road / track training, unless they
didn't see it in that context? To me, this is what gets confusing when
reading various rags. Primary literature usually decribes who their
subjects are as well as the protocols. I bring this up since I've been
perusing Armstrong's book on extreme environments, and he points out the
number of studies with conflicting results for some issues of running in
cold weather. Someone else could have just picked the studies that
supported their view and let it go at that.

It would be interesting to get his take on the explosion of trail
ultras in the USA and the many runners who compete in them with high
frequency.

I agree. I haven't done a literature search, but there's probably some
primary literature on effects of trail ultras and their training -
short-term, at least - possibly from races like WS100. I know Susitna
100 has had some studies done, but more on the fueling / hydration issues.

Dot
still waiting for my TR

--
The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury.
- John Hardy