Training week ending Apr 13 2014

Old April 14th 14, 10:35 PM posted to rec.running
rms[_2_]

Default Training week ending Apr 13 2014

Greetings wreck runners: Please tell us about your training week and
goals!

Cedro Peak 45M https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=24173 9:36,
which I'm pretty happy with. I tried to 'fat-load' the week pre-race, then
carb-loaded like crazy the day before and morning of, made some beet juice
for pre-race, caffeine-fasted for a week prior -- pretty much every trick in
Fitzgerald's nutrition book. Where I could've done better I think is eating
more mid-race, to keep my spirits and strength up, but overall I felt much
better than the two previous attempts here, one of which was a nauseous DNF,
the other a brutal deathmarch. The Altra Olympus did well on this very
rocky course. The leading women runners were so impressive to watch, I
spent the entire first half among the group of four who pulled away after
20miles, and they were faster and better organized in every way than I was.
A good day!

rms

Old April 16th 14, 02:40 AM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:35:00 -0600
"rms" wrote:

Greetings wreck runners: Please tell us about your training week and goals!

I had really fallen off after the Great Aloha Run in February. I am
apparently getting more persuasive and/or more attentive to advice in
my Fairly Old Age, so that I can easily talk myself out of running when
it's both dark and rainy, as mornings have frequently been the last
month or so.

For several years now I've had a three-day running program (plus a four
or five hour hike on Wednesdays): a bit over 5K Friday morning, 13K
Sunday morning, and an extra early 8K Tuesdays. On the 4th of this month
I did the full 5K for the first time in weeks, followed by a solid 13K on
Sunday, and the Tuesday 8K. I thought if I kept that up for another week
or two, I'd be ready for the Hapalua Half Marathon which was coming up
some time this month, to be my 51st half-marathon.

Well, it turned out to be the next Sunday! So I ran it, but I certainly
wasn't ready for it. I have amibivalent feelings about my time, happy that
it wasn't a PW, but not happy that I had once run a half marathon (my 43rd)
even slower (by four minutes) than Sunday's 2:25! :-(
--
Bart Mathias
Old April 17th 14, 03:43 AM posted to rec.running
rms[_2_]

For several years now I've had a three-day running program (plus a four
or five hour hike on Wednesdays)

Do you do any 'cross' or strength training (just curious) ?

rms
Old April 20th 14, 03:45 AM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:43:45 -0600
"rms" wrote:

For several years now I've had a three-day running program (plus a four
or five hour hike on Wednesdays)

Do you do any 'cross' or strength training (just curious) ?

'Fraid not, anymore. Before moving to this condo I would run over to a
handy weight room once or twice a week, but it's too far to run to from
here.

That's no excuse. I know this condo has something of the sort for residents;
I just never get around to checking it out.

My Tuesday run passes a couple of outdoor exercising places, where I stop
to do 4 1/2 ~ 5 pull-ups. And some of my hikes are trail clearing ones,
swinging a machete and throwing old trees or limbs off the trail. Not
enough to keep me alive, though.
--
Bart Mathias
Old May 1st 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.running
bj[_2_]

"rms" wrote:

For several years now I've had a three-day running program (plus a four
or five hour hike on Wednesdays)

Do you do any 'cross' or strength training (just curious) ?

'Fraid not, anymore. Before moving to this condo I would run over to a
handy weight room once or twice a week, but it's too far to run to from
here.

That's no excuse. I know this condo has something of the sort for residents;
I just never get around to checking it out.

My Tuesday run passes a couple of outdoor exercising places, where I stop
to do 4 1/2 ~ 5 pull-ups. And some of my hikes are trail clearing ones,
swinging a machete and throwing old trees or limbs off the trail. Not
enough to keep me alive, though.

There's a lot you can do inside, perhaps with simple equipment like
resistance bands, door hooks, & such. Have you looked at a "door gym" for
at-home pull-ups?
bj
Old May 1st 14, 11:01 PM posted to rec.running
rms[_2_]

There's a lot you can do inside, perhaps with simple equipment like
resistance bands, door hooks, & such. Have you looked at a "door gym" for
at-home pull-ups?

I don't use any equipment, but do a bunch of e.g. runnersworld strength
exercises. They have helped me immensely.

rms