cleaning down sleeping bags

Old June 26th 04, 08:39 PM
Anthony Dyer

Default cleaning down sleeping bags

Evening All,

Just returned this afternoon from my two week trip to Narvik - photos on my
website within the next few weeks. Paul saunders, your camera would love the
place - 10 hours of night time walking from 8pm till 6am getting some
fantastic midnight sun colours :-)

My question is one of cleaning down sleeping bags. My sleeping bag has had
to put up with two weeks of my smelly feet & smelly helly. It's currently
draped over my bedroom door getting some air. It isn't visibly soiled
except for a darkening of the fabric around the hood, rather it just feels a
bit manky next to the skin.

I've read various websites about cleaning down sleeping bags and it sounds
like a long, delicate (and potentially damaging) process. I've previously
just used a damp sponge and some soap to clean it every so often. So, how
often should a down sleeping bag be given a full clean? Is soap and a damp
sponge normally sufficient to stop it feeling manky? The bag in question is
a Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher 300 and is now 2 years old.

Any advice appreciated.

Anthony Dyer
www.mountain-walking.org.uk

Old June 26th 04, 08:49 PM
Dave Moore

Could you not just use a silk or cotton liner?. That way you'll have the
easily washable cloth against your skin and won't feel afraid of 'soiling'
it.. Just a shame about the extra weight.

Dave

Old June 26th 04, 09:20 PM
Jiffy

Try some Grangers XTreme spray on down cleaner. It's a lot easier than
washing the whole bag but probably not as effective. Still, it might do the
trick. Do go an get yourself a liner to save your bag in the future.

Cheers, Jiffy

Old June 26th 04, 09:26 PM
Andy Laycock

I wouldn't bother cleaning it yourself. Far to time consuming and you have
the possibility of ruining your bag.

I've just had my Mountian Equipment Dewline bag cleaned by WE Franklin in
Sheffield. I use a liner but being 5 years old it was in need of a clean!! I
came back in excellent condition.

Don't think they have a website but you can phone them on W.E.Franklin
(Sheffield) Ltd., +44 (0) 114 268 6161.

Price includes return postage.

If you fancy a challenege, and have a spare day there are some instructions
on the Rab site at http://www.rab.uk.com/pages/care/care.html

Cheers

Andy

Old June 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Craven

[...]

I'd read the manufacturers instructions for cleaning ! Easy to clean by
machine washing, time consuming only for drying.

--
Regards,
Chris

Old June 27th 04, 10:09 AM
simplesimon

I wouldn't bother cleaning it yourself. Far to time consuming and you have
the possibility of ruining your bag.

I've just had my Mountian Equipment Dewline bag cleaned by WE Franklin in
Sheffield. I use a liner but being 5 years old it was in need of a clean!!

came back in excellent condition.

Don't think they have a website but you can phone them on W.E.Franklin
(Sheffield) Ltd., +44 (0) 114 268 6161.

Price includes return postage.

I can confirm that WE Franklin offer a top notch service. They sorted out my
filthy/rancid Rab bag for me, it was like getting a new bag (So much warmer
too)

cheers,
simon

Old June 27th 04, 12:35 PM
Andy Howell

On 26/6/04 8:26 pm, in article , "Andy
Laycock" wrote:

If you fancy a challenege, and have a spare day there are some instructions
on the Rab site at http://www.rab.uk.com/pages/care/care.html

Rab will also clean your down bag for you.

Mind you, I use Nikwax down wash and - although you need to take an hour -
it is a reasonably straightforward process

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

Old June 27th 04, 12:49 PM
Craven

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/care/down-care.htm
--
Regards,
Chris

Old June 27th 04, 12:53 PM
Phil Cook

Laycock" wrote:

If you fancy a challenege, and have a spare day there are some instructions
on the Rab site at http://www.rab.uk.com/pages/care/care.html

Rab will also clean your down bag for you.

Mind you, I use Nikwax down wash and - although you need to take an hour -
it is a reasonably straightforward process

But drying it isn't!

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pj...m#CleaningDown
95/284 5/219 c.100/300 (900m with drop100m )

Old June 27th 04, 10:57 PM
Mike Mason

Laycock" wrote:

If you fancy a challenege, and have a spare day there are some

instructions
on the Rab site at http://www.rab.uk.com/pages/care/care.html

Rab will also clean your down bag for you.

Mind you, I use Nikwax down wash and - although you need to take an

hour -
it is a reasonably straightforward process

But drying it isn't!

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pj...m#CleaningDown
95/284 5/219 c.100/300 (900m with drop100m )

Drain, tumble dryer with trainer thrown in worked ok for me.

Mike