If it ain't broke ...

Old October 26th 04, 05:59 PM
4precious

Default If it ain't broke ...

Massi Rossolini won the Silver medal in the 400m in Sydney. He then
got himself a new coach, I believe an Australian, who quickly tinkered
with his stroke, which was idiosyncratic to say the least. Rossi uses
only his left leg while kicking on the left - using a downbeat, an
upbeat, and a downbeat all on one side. He also uses a high-elbow
catch while going to breathing, but a low, "dive for depth" arm sweep
when not breathing. That's exactly the opposite of almost all
swimmers because it's natural to "lean" on your arm and elevate your
body while trying to breath.

Well, sad to say he doesn't swim that way anymore. I downloaded the
entire men's 400m final from Greece. There's only a couple seconds of
him underwater. But his stroke is different. It looks like he's
using an elite male 6-beat, because he's hitting a right when he goes
to breath to the left. Totally different than before. So what are
the results:

Rossi in Sydney: 3:43 Silver Medal

Rossi in Greece: 3:46 Nothing

Now I know he was on Human Growth Harmone before Sydney. And I know
three seconds ain't much, and it may not have been his day. But ...
if I were him, I would fire that coach. Better yet, I wouldn't have
hired anybody who wanted to drastically change the stroke of an
Olympic medalist.

If Bud McAllister had monkeyed with Janet Evans stroke in the same
fashion, then just maybe that stereoid bumped babe, Astrid Strauss,
would own all the female distance records.

RIP, Massi's wonderful freestyle stroke.

Eric
Old October 27th 04, 08:20 AM
Palmiro Bogomil Ganjins di Boscopelo

4precious wrote:

Massi Rossolini won the Silver medal in the 400m in Sydney.

Rosolino, please :-)

--
"Siamo una generazione di uomini cresciuti dalle donne, mi chiedo se
un'altra donna veramente la risposta che ci serve"
Old October 27th 04, 05:30 PM
4precious

Palmiro Bogomil Ganjins di Boscopelo wrote in message ...
4precious wrote:

Massi Rossolini won the Silver medal in the 400m in Sydney.

Rosolino, please :-)

Yes, "Rosolino", my apologies.

Hello to Italy!

Your post makes me think of a question. The feed I have for the 400m
men final focuses almost exclusively on Thorpe. So you can Thorpe and
the swimmers beyond him for almost the entire race. Rosolino swam on
the near side of Thorpe in the final, so there's not much of him.

Was the coverage different in Italy? With all those cameras mounted
on the bottom of the pool, I wonder if they can focus on various
swimmers - send the stuff on Stockbauer to Germany, send the stuff on
Rosolino to Italy, etc. That would be a great way for us to get video
besides more of Ian Thorpe.

Eric
Old October 27th 04, 11:05 PM

4precious wrote:

Massi Rossolini won the Silver medal in the 400m in Sydney.

Rosolino, please :-)

Yes, "Rosolino", my apologies.

:-)

Hello to Italy!

Hi there :-)

Your post makes me think of a question. The feed I have for the 400m
men final focuses almost exclusively on Thorpe. So you can Thorpe and
the swimmers beyond him for almost the entire race. Rosolino swam on
the near side of Thorpe in the final, so there's not much of him.

In the 400m Thorpe was the man... no wonder that every camera was on him!

Was the coverage different in Italy? With all those cameras mounted
on the bottom of the pool, I wonder if they can focus on various
swimmers - send the stuff on Stockbauer to Germany, send the stuff on
Rosolino to Italy, etc. That would be a great way for us to get video
besides more of Ian Thorpe.

IIRC, there was no difference between the italian coverage and the one
of the video i downloaded from www.swim.ee, so I guess that you won't
see any difference in the videos from Italy, Germany etc etc.. Thorpe,
Thorpe and only Thorpe.. :-)

PS,: I hope you understand me, I'm not that good in english.. beg your
pardon :-)

--
There are better things in life than alcohol, but alcohol makes up for
not having them. - Terry Pratchett.
Old November 5th 04, 07:05 AM
4precious

4precious wrote:

[...]

Your English is fine. Better than our President

Mea Culpa on this post. I was looking at the wrong guy! It's the
Russian in lane 7 that I thought was Rosolino. Unfortunately, there's
only about a quarter stroke cycle at one of the walls. But Rosolino
looks the same as always for those brief frames.

I did have one more thought regarding Rosolino. At the elite level of
any sport, it would be difficult to find somebody doing something
completely different than everybody else. At first it looks like
Rosolino is just such a character. However, that's not the case.
That "down-up-down" thing he does with his left leg has its roots in
the simple two-beat cross-over kicking rhythm. By not crossing over
his legs, however, he can get more power from the first beat since it
doesn't smack his other leg. He can also swim flatter in the water
compared to rotating more with the cross-over and therefore have a
higher turnover rate.

Donald Graft's video of the American sprinter, Kara Lynn Joyce, was
the key. She swims the same way as Rosolino. Joyce has a symmetrical
4-beat kick. Clearly rare at the elite level, but Rosolino does the
same thing on one side.

Eric