Jetski Wetsuit better than no wetsuit?

Old June 4th 04, 01:40 AM
Happy Marmot

Default Jetski Wetsuit better than no wetsuit?

This weekend I will be doing a tri featuring a 60 degree lake. The
swim is only 1/4 mile, but this is my first official tri and I am not
yet as strong of a swimmer as I would like to be. Am I better off
using a wetsuit meant for jetskiing/surfing than no wetsuit at all? I
have no trouble swimming in the suit, and I like the extra buoyancy,
but I am afraid that it will slow me down. Anyone have any experience
with using a non-tri wetsuit??
Old June 4th 04, 01:59 PM
Timote

Is it sleeveless? if so- definitely use it-

if it has sleeves ( full or short), and you are worried it is not flexible
enough ( it just might be-),
since this is just a 1/4 mile, just pull the sleeves up towards your body a
lot, to the point where the neoprene is bunching up a little around the
shoulder area. this should ensure that you at least have good range of motion
in your shoulders. if you can test it out first, great, if not, you will be
fine-
just do this before the race start, do some dryland warmups with your arms to
make sure they can spin as usual-
I used an old two-piece, french made, 60s -style jacques cousteau-style diving
suit many years ago- man was it terrible. but who was I to know? and there was
no way I would swim sans in 60-degrees. wear it!
good luck

Old June 4th 04, 03:55 PM
Jim Gosse

I use an o'neil multi sport suit made for surfing, wind surfing etc. This
will be my third season in this suit. It fits me well, and I have never worn
a specific tri suit, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I would take Tim's advice and make sure to pull the legs and arm up a bit to
make sure you have sufficient range in motion. If you get hooked on this
sport, you could pick up a tri specific suit later. I would definitely
recommend wearing it. The extra buoyancy will help a bit. Just try it and
have fun.

Jim

m...

Old June 5th 04, 01:33 AM
Tom Henderson

"Jim Gosse" wrote in
:

I use an o'neil multi sport suit made for surfing, wind surfing etc.
This will be my third season in this suit. It fits me well, and I have
never worn a specific tri suit, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I suspect if you ever try a swim-specific suit, you'd never go back.