Caffeine

Old June 7th 04, 06:03 PM
Ray Plotecia

Default Caffeine

One year I quit drinking coffee on January 1. I am a confirmed coffee
addict. I even got my kid a job at Starbucks so I could get some perks.

My intention was to stay on the wagon until my first race and then drink two
cups the morning of the race. I stayed off the stuff for 6 months, survived
the headaches and showed up at the Blackwater Eagleman armed with two large
coffees.

I did have to pee a lot, but I noticed no difference in my racing.

Don't try this at home. Ask your doctor. Results may vary.

Ray
"Ironic" wrote in message
om...
My training partner and I have noticed more of an immediate boost from
GU than Hammergel, most noticeably when running. GU, it appears from
the label, has caffeine, while Hammergel does not (I suspect it is
left out of Hammergel because it can have a tendency to cause
dehydration?) Anyway, my question is have any of you had experience
with caffeine pills, like NoDoze, Vivarin or store brand "stay Awake"
pills in connection with triathlon, and if so, what are your thoughts,
comments, cautions or railings? This is something I have not seen
discussed anywhere yet, except for a discussion that said it causes
dehydration and that cutting out coffee two weeks out (and getting
through the withdrawal headaches) should be part of your taper.

Thanks

Old June 8th 04, 04:53 PM
Susan in LA

"Sam" wrote in message
link.net...
Find PubMed on the web and search for caffeine. More information than you
want to know.

Caffeine works for some people and not for others. Caffeine is not as bad

diuretic as once thought especially during exercise since blood flow to

the
kidney is reduced during exercise.

Caffeine does not spare glycogen during exercise. It only increases fat
oxidation at rest (and not all that much).

"rod richeson" wrote in message
I have read several studies in the last 2 years saying that caffeine's
diuretic properties do not apply to people during excersize. I don't
think the studies were paid for by the caffeine industry, but YMMV.
Most caffeine studies were done on sedentary people, which I think most
studies are unless it is an excersize related study. I use and
recommend abstinance for a minimum of 7 days before key events, then
Vivarin, I don't have the dosage numbers here at work, 1-2 hours before
an event that will exceed 2 hours. I don't recommend utilizing for
events under 2 hours, but people certainly do.

That's a nickel worth of free advice...

Rod
WestSide Performance Multi-Sports
USAT Level I certified coach

Thanks to both of you....glad to hear some research supports caffeine not
being a major diuretic during exercise. I'm going to look into it some
more.....

Susan

Old June 8th 04, 05:21 PM
Ray Plotecia

Thank you, thank you. I would have been crestfallen if nobody booed me for
that one.

Ray

hlink.net...

Old June 8th 04, 05:21 PM
Ray Plotecia

Thank you, thank you. I would have been crestfallen if nobody booed me for
that one.

Ray

hlink.net...

"Ironic" wrote in message
om...
My training partner and I have noticed more of an immediate boost from
GU than Hammergel, most noticeably when running. GU, it appears from
the label, has caffeine, while Hammergel does not (I suspect it is
left out of Hammergel because it can have a tendency to cause
dehydration?) Anyway, my question is have any of you had experience
with caffeine pills, like NoDoze, Vivarin or store brand "stay Awake"
pills in connection with triathlon, and if so, what are your thoughts,
comments, cautions or railings? This is something I have not seen
discussed anywhere yet, except for a discussion that said it causes
dehydration and that cutting out coffee two weeks out (and getting
through the withdrawal headaches) should be part of your taper.

Thanks

pre-workout caffeine reduces muscle pain bc Weights 1 February 10th 04 04:10 AM
Caffine and the lack of caffeine, how bad is this "drug". Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Weights 8 January 23rd 04 11:06 PM
Creatine and caffeine - does it negate the effect? Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Weights 23 January 23rd 04 07:36 AM
Caffeine Levels Hoff Weights 46 November 2nd 03 09:10 AM
Aaargghh! Conflicting caffeine!! Jezz Weights 3 August 26th 03 02:30 PM