T1 question

Old June 4th 04, 05:46 AM
PMcDC

Default T1 question

I bought some tri shorts, but I'm not sure whether to wear my skin-tight tri

jersey for the swim or not

yes, for two reasons. first, if it's skin tight, you'll be just fine/it won't
drag. but just for insurance, put sportslick or vaseline on your upper arms
where they'll rub against your body during the swim. can't imagine you'll work
up a chafe in 500 yards, but it's cheap insurance.
second, you would lose really a lot of time trying to get a jersey on a wet
body. it'll really be a bear right after the swim, less so if you put it on
after the bike/for the run.
best wishes for a very fun race.
peggy

Old June 4th 04, 09:16 AM
DaveB

Harold Buck wrote:
I'm doing a sprint tri this weekend, and I'm trying to actually race
through my transitions this year. The race is 500 yards/16 miles/3 miles.

I bought some tri shorts, but I'm not sure whether to wear my skin-tight
tri jersey for the swim or not. I haven't had a chance to practice with
it. I'd like to wear it over my HRM so I don't have to worry about
putting on either one in T1.

I'm against doing anything new in a race. I decided at the last minute
to wear my singlet under the wetsuit during the swim for one sprint
race. The chafing I got caused me so much grief I'm sure I dropped a
minute or 2 in the run just from being stressed. Now I make sure nothing
changes from what I've been doing in training.

DaveB

Old June 5th 04, 02:18 PM
Williamsdrew

"Harold Buck" wrote in message
I'm doing a sprint tri this weekend, and I'm trying to actually race
through my transitions this year. The race is 500 yards/16 miles/3 miles.

I bought some tri shorts, but I'm not sure whether to wear my skin-tight
tri jersey for the swim or not. I haven't had a chance to practice with
it. I'd like to wear it over my HRM so I don't have to worry about
putting on either one in T1.

Do you think swimming with the jersey will cost a lot of time?

Any tri jersey, regardless of how tight it is will cost you at least 5-10
sec/100 in the water. If you want to save the most time, do the whole race
shirtless, leave your HRM at home, and skip the socks. If the race director
require shirts, put your jersey on T1. I'd rather loose 10 sec in T1 than
30-45 in the water. If money is no object then buy a Speedo Fastskin and do
the whole race in it.

Goog luck & have fun!