Munros - Beinn Bhreac & Beinn a'Chaorainn TR

Old November 8th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Lindsay

Default Munros - Beinn Bhreac & Beinn a'Chaorainn TR

The starting point for this walk was the popular car park at the Linn
of Dee, several miles west of Braemar. From here we followed the path
through the woods which joined the vehicle track beside the Lui Water.
This track was followed as far as the path leading to Clais Fhearnaig.

I have climbed Beinn Bhreac several times from Glen Derry but have
never found a satisfactory route. On this occasion I decided on a
different approach so at the path leading to Clais Fhearnaig I followed
it for about 500 metres before heading directly onto Meall an Lundain.
This route followed the occasional animal path but was mainly through
heather and vegetation, some of it fairly deep. We disturbed quite a
few grouse as we headed uphill and a couple of roe deer.

Eventually we reached Meall an Lundain, which was marked by a cairn and
had some good views of the snow covered Beinn a'Bhuird. In fact it
was quite a pleasant day with mainly light winds and reasonable
visibility although further west there was some cloud hanging around
the summits. The only downside to this route was a descent of around
80 metres but it was a gentle slope before the climb to the Munro Beinn
Bhreac.

From Beinn Bhreac we descended to the east of Craig Derry and

thereafter crossed the Moine Bhealach which was pitted with peat hags
and small pools. However the ground was a bit firmer than normal due
to recent frosts but wouldn't hold our weight. One of my clients
disturbed a vole while crossing one of the peat hags.

Once west of Moine Bhealach we left the peat hags and climbed the south
ridge of Beinn a'Chaorainn where we spotted mountain hares and
ptarmigan, both changing to their white winter colour. On reaching the
summit we had some lunch in the sun but there was a cold breeze.
However the views were good and clear.

Once we had a quick bite to eat we descended into Glen Derry and
followed the path to Derry Lodge, watched by red deer on the slopes of
Craig Derry. From Derry Lodge the vehicle track led us back to the
car park at the Linn of Dee. We saw a couple of roe deer, well it
could have been the same two we disturbed in the morning, feeding close
to the track.

It was almost dark when we reached the car park and here a few hill
walkers were setting off probably to stay in the bothy at Derry Lodge.
They would have to join a couple of dogs who had already booked their
space there.

Time taken - 8.75 hours. Distance - 27 kilometres. Height climbed - 900
metres.

Photos taken on walk can be viewed at:
http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/ga...ov06/index.htm

Lindsay