Mens vs. women's shoes

Old January 13th 04, 12:05 AM
DrLith

Default Mens vs. women's shoes

Does anyone know if there are significant differences, other than color,
between the men's and women's models of the same shoe, given roughly
equivalent sizes? (in my case, I can wear 9.5 womens or 8 mens). In
particular, is "standard width" about the same in equivalent sizes?

--
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure; rather than to rank with those poor spirits who

Old January 13th 04, 12:31 AM
Cate McKew

"DrLith" wrote in message =
Does anyone know if there are significant differences, other than =

color,
between the men's and women's models of the same shoe, given roughly
equivalent sizes? (in my case, I can wear 9.5 womens or 8 mens). In
particular, is "standard width" about the same in equivalent sizes?

In general, women's training shoes are lighter and a bit flimsier (to =
take the=20
"shock" for someone weighing maybe 100 to 110 pounds rather than 140
to 180, upwards). Heavy people can buy models made for their weight.

The other difference is that the heel cup is usually narrower (and they =
are usually=20
cutesier in a facile goofy way).

I prefer men's shoes because they are a bit sturdier even though I'm a
lightish female.

By contrast, light (longer distance racing) shoes tend to have more =
cushioning
for females than for males (in my experience), so it seems that "fit =
weight" racing
females get a gentler ride than "fit weight" racing males.

I haven't checked out men's and women's models for several years, so =
things
may have changed.

Cate.
Old January 13th 04, 12:40 AM
Arbor77

Does anyone know if there are significant differences, other than color,
between the men's and women's models of the same shoe...?

Just our luck -- when we really need his advice, Roger and his pink "Diet
Handbag" have flown the coop. Oh well, any other cross-dressers out there?

Old January 13th 04, 12:47 AM
Dot

DrLith wrote:

Does anyone know if there are significant differences, other than color,
between the men's and women's models of the same shoe, given roughly
equivalent sizes? (in my case, I can wear 9.5 womens or 8 mens). In
particular, is "standard width" about the same in equivalent sizes?

As Cate mentions, the heels in women's are usually narrower relative to
similar sized mens as are the toe boxes. I think the heels / toebox
ratio is also smaller in women's. "Standard width" for men is usually D,
but for women it's B - usually, but there are exceptions. I think
women's shoes assume you are somewhere around 140 lb or lighter, whereas
heavier / taller people are shuttled into shoes designed for heavier
people, but I've found them too rigid. And sometimes when they change
shoes, they may change them differently for men and women - at least for
the Trespass 2 they did - if I'm to compare male reviews with my
results. I'm stuck in women's shoes since my heel is narrower than their
lasts usually.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Old January 13th 04, 03:16 AM
Globaldisc

ok, i'll come out the closet. i buy both. i have a narrow foot for a man,
and where a mens 9 - 9.5 and generally a womens size 11.

i've got probably 7 or 8 pairs of new/boxes running shoes of all stripes
(mizuno/asics/nb)...probably half of those are actually womens shoes though i'm
a man.

i buy closed out models, etc. at discount. footlocker.com had the asics nimbus
IV for $49, only had my size in womens....I had a 30% off coupon...and stocked
up in numerous pairs...ended up paying $35/pair for this $100+ shoe. i'm a
passionate runner....have tons of new and in use shoes....and from my
experience cannot discern any difference in men's model's vs. women's models.
I've worn both in NB 1210 series and Asics Nimbus 4.
Old January 13th 04, 10:59 AM
Doug Freese

Globaldisc wrote:

i've got probably 7 or 8 pairs of new/boxes running shoes of all stripes
(mizuno/asics/nb)...probably half of those are actually womens shoes though i'm
a man.

Enclose pictures and DNA for verification. There's a lot of cross
dressers living in the big city. Us country boys separate the men
from the boys with a crowbar. For some perverse reasons this
reminds me of and old poster on r.r and personal idol Indy, who used
to carp that races never offered small T-shirts. I'll pull out of
this stream of unconsciousness after a second cup of coffee.

i buy closed out models, etc. at discount. footlocker.com had the asics nimbus
IV for $49, only had my size in womens....I had a 30% off coupon...and stocked
up in numerous pairs...ended up paying $35/pair for this $100+ shoe. i'm a
passionate runner....have tons of new and in use shoes....and from my
experience cannot discern any difference in men's model's vs. women's models.

In us larger, i.e. big foot, big hands, big ... folks, the
difference is more obvious and Dot did a nice job describing default
width and heel.

--
Doug Freese
"Caveat Lector"

Old January 13th 04, 03:24 PM
MJuric

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:05:14 -0500, "DrLith"
wrote:

Does anyone know if there are significant differences, other than color,
between the men's and women's models of the same shoe, given roughly
equivalent sizes? (in my case, I can wear 9.5 womens or 8 mens). In
particular, is "standard width" about the same in equivalent sizes?

--
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure; rather than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that
knows not victory nor defeat. --Theodore Roosevelt

There was an article/column in this months Runners World on
the subject. Just glanced at it but I think the gist was that Mens and
Womens shoes are constructed functional exactly the same (Cushioning,
control etc) except for a few size differences. I believe that they
mentioned a narrower heal.

~Matt

Old January 16th 04, 03:41 AM
Miss Anne Thrope

Ahh, crossdressing. It's not just for the privacy of your own home
anymore. Hanes Her Way also?

Old January 16th 04, 05:07 AM
DrLith

"Miss Anne Thrope" wrote in message
Ahh, crossdressing. It's not just for the privacy of your own home
anymore. Hanes Her Way also?

Nah--they don't make a good cotton thong.

Old January 16th 04, 03:55 PM
Fuckin' Idiot

"DrLith" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know if there are significant differences, other than color,
between the men's and women's models of the same shoe, given roughly
equivalent sizes? (in my case, I can wear 9.5 womens or 8 mens). In
particular, is "standard width" about the same in equivalent sizes?

Ask Realbitchy, he wears all kinds of womans clothing.