Men's Fitness Magazine is junk science

Old January 4th 04, 06:47 PM
jjp

Default Men's Fitness Magazine is junk science

So Men's Fitness has its "fattest cities" list out again, of course
it's all over the news.

This "study" by Men's Fitness is junk science. What's really sad is
that other sources report it as if scientific fact.

You know what operationalizations (ways to measure) obesity they used?
Things such as number of pizza and ice cream joints, weather, and
number of sporting goods stores. That tells us nothing about what the
people actually look like.

The CDC also did a study. It was much more scientific and looked at
BMIs. I don't know why that one isn't reported more often.
Old January 4th 04, 07:50 PM
Demetri Karavas

"jjp" wrote in message
om...
So Men's Fitness has its "fattest cities" list out again, of course
it's all over the news.

This "study" by Men's Fitness is junk science. What's really sad is
that other sources report it as if scientific fact.

You know what operationalizations (ways to measure) obesity they used?
Things such as number of pizza and ice cream joints, weather, and
number of sporting goods stores. That tells us nothing about what the
people actually look like.

The CDC also did a study. It was much more scientific and looked at
BMIs. I don't know why that one isn't reported more often.

Its Cosmo for men, what do you expect?

Demetri

Old January 4th 04, 09:08 PM
Mark Downing

"jjp" wrote in message
om...
So Men's Fitness has its "fattest cities" list out again, of course
it's all over the news.

This "study" by Men's Fitness is junk science. What's really sad is
that other sources report it as if scientific fact.

You know what operationalizations (ways to measure) obesity they used?
Things such as number of pizza and ice cream joints, weather, and
number of sporting goods stores. That tells us nothing about what the
people actually look like.

I hope "all you can eat" Chinese buffets aren't in there. Those people see
me coming and start hiding the sushi, spare ribs and the little chicken on a
stick things.

We have a Chinese buffet here named "House of Wang". It sounds like a
punchline from Bevis and Butthead.

Old January 4th 04, 10:30 PM
Tundra Wookie

"Mark Downing" mark[add "v" wrote in message =
"jjp" wrote in message
om...
So Men's Fitness has its "fattest cities" list out again, of course
it's all over the news.

This "study" by Men's Fitness is junk science. What's really sad is
that other sources report it as if scientific fact.

You know what operationalizations (ways to measure) obesity they =

used?
Things such as number of pizza and ice cream joints, weather, and
number of sporting goods stores. That tells us nothing about what =

the
people actually look like.

=20
I hope "all you can eat" Chinese buffets aren't in there. Those =

people see
me coming and start hiding the sushi, spare ribs and the little =

chicken on a
stick things.
=20
We have a Chinese buffet here named "House of Wang". It sounds like a
punchline from Bevis and Butthead.
=20

Huh, huh, he said "wang."

--TW I had to do it, buttmunch.
Old January 4th 04, 10:54 PM
xahrx

MuscleMan wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:
My BMI is 24.9. I am not at. I have problems gaining weight too. The
BMI scale seems to be ridiculous.

It is a bit ridiculous, but it gives a decent general guideline for people.
Obviously if you have a high BMI but your bodyfat is low and your lean mass
high, you're good. I don't think most people know how to use calipers
though, nor are they advanced or even novice lifters, so BMI would work for
most people as a good guide.

--
Yrs,
Richard H. Araujo
Old January 4th 04, 11:53 PM
Barry Wong

MuscleMan wrote:

The BMI scale seems to be ridiculous.

Depends on what it's being used for, I suppose. It's just a fancified
way of talking about 'ideal' weight with respect to height, right? Among
the general populace, that's not a bad generic guide. Among people who
already diet, exercise, and pay attention to more sophisticated measures
like bodyfat and lean mass percentages, it's gotta be less useful. But
then, most of them already know that.

Old January 5th 04, 02:20 AM
Proton Soup

"Demetri Karavas" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"jjp" wrote in message
om...
So Men's Fitness has its "fattest cities" list out again, of course
it's all over the news.

This "study" by Men's Fitness is junk science. What's really sad is
that other sources report it as if scientific fact.

You know what operationalizations (ways to measure) obesity they used?
Things such as number of pizza and ice cream joints, weather, and
number of sporting goods stores. That tells us nothing about what the
people actually look like.

The CDC also did a study. It was much more scientific and looked at
BMIs. I don't know why that one isn't reported more often.

Its Cosmo for men, what do you expect?

Ten signs that s/he's seeing another man?

Proton Soup
Old January 5th 04, 02:30 AM
Wayne S. Hill

Barry Wong wrote:

MuscleMan wrote:

The BMI scale seems to be ridiculous.

Depends on what it's being used for, I suppose. It's just a
fancified way of talking about 'ideal' weight with respect
to height, right? Among the general populace, that's not a
bad generic guide. Among people who already diet, exercise,
and pay attention to more sophisticated measures like
bodyfat and lean mass percentages, it's gotta be less
useful. But then, most of them already know that.

Most insurance companies don't seem to know that.

--
-Wayne
Old January 5th 04, 10:02 AM
Tom Morley

Wayne S. Hill wrote:
Barry Wong wrote:

MuscleMan wrote:

The BMI scale seems to be ridiculous.

Depends on what it's being used for, I suppose. It's just a
fancified way of talking about 'ideal' weight with respect
to height, right? Among the general populace, that's not a
bad generic guide. Among people who already diet, exercise,
and pay attention to more sophisticated measures like
bodyfat and lean mass percentages, it's gotta be less
useful. But then, most of them already know that.

Most insurance companies don't seem to know that.

Actually, I suspect that they do.

--
Tom Morley | Same roads
| Same rights
| Same rules
AIM: DocTDM

heart rate vs blood sugar [email protected] Aerobic 49 September 13th 12 06:50 AM
[ANN] New Magazine Publisher Walking 0 January 7th 04 06:18 PM
[ANN] New Magazine Publisher Aerobic 0 January 7th 04 06:17 PM