step stride pace ?

Old August 24th 04, 11:34 AM
MIKE

Default step stride pace ?

Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

To me, the distance between the fall of one foot then the fall of the other
foot is a step, and the distance between the fall of one foot and the next
fall of the same foot is a stride or pace. Does any body agree ?

I only ask because the instructions for a pedometer i've been give seem to
treat step and stride as the same thing

Mike
www.mikes-walks.co.uk

Old August 24th 04, 11:46 AM
Peter Clinch

MIKE wrote:
Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

I don't think there's a rigid definition. The trick is knowing what
works for you, and how long it is.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 24th 04, 11:47 AM
Mark South

"MIKE" wrote in message
Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

To me, the distance between the fall of one foot then the fall of the other
foot is a step, and the distance between the fall of one foot and the next
fall of the same foot is a stride or pace. Does any body agree ?

I don't want to make a pronouncement on "stride", but your understanding of
"step" and "pace" is correct.

Pace comes from the Latin word with the same meaning. A Roman pace was about 5
of our feet, and the word "mile" comes from "mille passus", a thousand paces.

Curiously, modern Italian took the word "mile" back from english as "miglio", so
that the modern race in Italy over a thousand miles is called the "mille
miglia".

I only ask because the instructions for a pedometer i've been give seem to
treat step and stride as the same thing

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you that all language is relative and
it doesn't matter what you call something as long as everyone knows what you
mean.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Old August 24th 04, 12:15 PM
John Dawson

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:34:29 +0100, "MIKE" wrote:

Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

To me, the distance between the fall of one foot then the fall of the other
foot is a step, and the distance between the fall of one foot and the next
fall of the same foot is a stride or pace. Does any body agree ?

I only ask because the instructions for a pedometer i've been give seem to
treat step and stride as the same thing

Collins dictionary gives a definition of stride as a long step or
pace. Not even the OED suggests it is more than one step.

John D.
--
at home in Kendal, Cumbria
Lake District Walks at: http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/
Old August 24th 04, 01:02 PM
Mark South

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
MIKE wrote:
Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

I don't think there's a rigid definition. The trick is knowing what
works for you, and how long it is.

As I already explained, the Romans were pretty clear on what a pace is.

Unless you want to believe what the guy I once encountered in the pub did, that
a Roman mile was less than 1000 yards.
--
"As for the hexamine stove. OW! Burnt fingers again!..... and the
bloody thing's gone out.....OW! no it hasn't." - Judith in uk.rec.walking

Old August 24th 04, 08:39 PM
Roger

The message
from "Mark South" contains these words:

Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

I don't think there's a rigid definition. The trick is knowing what
works for you, and how long it is.

As I already explained, the Romans were pretty clear on what a pace is.

Unless you want to believe what the guy I once encountered in the pub
did, that
a Roman mile was less than 1000 yards.

The Romans were pretty clear what they meant by decimation as well but
that hasn't stopped the normal usage turning the proportions pretty much
on their head.

I would go some way to support Mark. One of my dictionaries defines pace
both ways ("1 a a single step in walking or running. b the distance
covered in this (about 75 cm or 30 in.). c the distance between two
successive stationary positions of the same foot in walking." Stride as
a single long step (or cross with one step) and step (confusingly) as "1
a the complete movement of one leg in walking or running (took a step
forward). b the distance covered by this."

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)
Old August 24th 04, 11:53 PM
Simon Caldwell

Step refers to getting into or out of the car on the way to the hills.
Pace is what most of us do while walking.
Stride is what Roger does while taking things easy.

HTH

Simon
Old August 25th 04, 12:09 AM
Gordon

Simon Caldwell wrote
Step refers to getting into or out of the car on the way to the hills.

Stumble in my case.

Pace is what most of us do while walking.

Saunter in my case.

Stride is what Roger does while taking things easy.

Run alongside out of breath in my case.
--
Gordon
Old August 25th 04, 09:05 AM
Roger

The message
from Simon Caldwell contains these words:

Step refers to getting into or out of the car on the way to the hills.
Pace is what most of us do while walking.
Stride is what Roger does while taking things easy.

Nah. Stride is what I do when vainly trying to keep pace with David.

Old August 25th 04, 11:51 AM
Mark South

"Roger" wrote in message
The message
from "Mark South" contains these words:

Step - stride - pace - which is which ?

I don't think there's a rigid definition. The trick is knowing what
works for you, and how long it is.

As I already explained, the Romans were pretty clear on what a pace is.

Unless you want to believe what the guy I once encountered in the pub
did, that a Roman mile was less than 1000 yards.

The Romans were pretty clear what they meant by decimation as well but
that hasn't stopped the normal usage turning the proportions pretty much
on their head.

The _enormity_ of the change is impressive ;-)

Yeah, I can think of a newsgroup or two that could do with a jolly good
decimation :-)

Even in the old sense it would still be kind of fun.

I would go some way to support Mark.

Stepping or pacing? :-)

One of my dictionaries defines pace
both ways ("1 a a single step in walking or running. b the distance
covered in this (about 75 cm or 30 in.). c the distance between two
successive stationary positions of the same foot in walking."

Dictionaries have difficulty with the idea of different words meaning different
things.

Stride as
a single long step (or cross with one step) and step (confusingly) as "1
a the complete movement of one leg in walking or running (took a step
forward). b the distance covered by this."

The scientist in me is cringing at the way the definitions appear precise yet
merely defer the definition to other undefined terms.

Not that this is even important, but hey, .uk group.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen