pain when tilting head sideways or to back

Old February 17th 06, 05:43 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

Default pain when tilting head sideways or to back

Hello,
I must have pulled a muscle or a nerve.
When I tilt my head sideways to rest on right shoulder, I feel
pain shooting down from neck to the left side of the mid-upper back.
(trapezius?).

I also experience neck pain when doing head rolls.

This started 2 weeks ago right before I started my daily
workout with weights.

The odd thing is that if I take my hand and press on the point in
the upper left back where it hurts while doing head rolls, the
pain is diminished.

Why would pressing on this point cause the pain to subside?
It subsides for a few minutes only.

Any ideas how I should treat this?

I notice that somedays my pain is less than others and that if I do
a lot of head/neck exercises, it aggravates the pain.

THANKS

Old February 17th 06, 05:54 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I must have pulled a muscle or a nerve.
When I tilt my head sideways to rest on right shoulder, I feel
pain shooting down from neck to the left side of the mid-upper back.
(trapezius?).

I also experience neck pain when doing head rolls.

This started 2 weeks ago right before I started my daily
workout with weights.

The odd thing is that if I take my hand and press on the point in
the upper left back where it hurts while doing head rolls, the
pain is diminished.

Why would pressing on this point cause the pain to subside?
It subsides for a few minutes only.

Any ideas how I should treat this?

I notice that somedays my pain is less than others and that if I do
a lot of head/neck exercises, it aggravates the pain.

Stop doing head rolls.

See a doctor.

Pick up a copy of Robin McKenzie's "7 steps to a pain-free neck and
back" or his earlier "Treat Your Own Neck" - either will do.

Head rolls are no longer a recommended exercise. The 'better' version
is to roll in a figure-eight pattern, IOW, you only roll for half the
circle, then you move from front to back or back to front and roll the
other half of the circle. You can also skip them altogether and just
work your neck in different planes. McKenzie give you the general idea
along with several good and specific exercises that include detailed
do's and don'ts for how to perform these safely.

Hope that helps you some.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old February 1st 13, 12:06 PM
vibrater vibrater is offline
Junior Member

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!

fix for lower back pain doing pushups? Monique Y. Mudama Weights 12 May 31st 05 03:55 PM
Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
Lower back pain & squatting DH Weights 6 July 13th 04 05:24 PM
Pain for 6 weeks now in my right leg? Bud97227 Running 10 April 18th 04 10:19 PM
How to conquer back pain at home by yourself... Scott Carrell Walking 0 June 30th 03 08:25 PM