Help Deciding On A Rowing Machine

Old January 14th 04, 11:10 PM
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Help Deciding On A Rowing Machine

"Isiafs5" wrote in message
"Drunk"
I have a budget of about $500 so if anyone can recommend a good air

rowing
machine in that price range I'd really appreciate it.

Mine cost $40 from Play-It-Again-Sports. Works just fine.

I've never worked out using a rowing machine before, so if
theres a big downside to it, now would be the time for me to find out.

The downside to all machines is that they can get boring and not used.

For a
rowing machine, back problems can become an issue with too much, too soon.
Getting a lesson or two from an experienced rower might help prevent this.

Except for the fact that rowing machines, including Concept
II, bear tragically little resemblance to real rowing.
Indeed, *real* rowing produces some impressive physiques.
It's essentially high-powered weightlifting on a lake. Those lakes will
freeze over in Texas before any home rowing machine will deliver anything
near the results of team rowing--middling aerobic workouts at best, with a
little limited motion in the upperbody. Basically a sham.
Cross country skiers seem to wear the fitness badge of honor, but
I think amateur/prof'l rowers are probably one of the most bodywide powerful
athletes out there. The only thing is, I don't think the events last that
long (could be wrong) from an aerobic POV, but I'm sure the training is
kick-ass aerobically.
The really bad thing about home rowing machines is, that once
they fall into inevitable disuse, they don't even make good coat racks.
The VersaClimber (Richard Benjamin, in Sleeping wit
d'Enemy--really the epitome of a home fitness narcissist--sorta reminds me
of Steve Friedes) is proly the best coat rack on the market--at a mere $800.
Actually, the VC is not a bad machine, from a fitness POV. Much better than
a home rower. Just sillier.
I think a "water rower" (Gym Source) would be a better bet. At
$999, a bit above yer budget, but think of all the free clothes washing
you'll be able to do--comforters will really up the resistance!

When I rowed with our local paddle club, I learned to row much differently

than
when I first started using a rowing machine.

DUH.....
--
Mr. P.V.'d

On the good side, at our local paddling club rowing machines are used

quite a
bit. The top rowers have really impressive muscle definition.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm