Caffeine

Old June 3rd 04, 11:44 PM
Ironic

Default Caffeine

My training partner and I have noticed more of an immediate boost from
GU than Hammergel, most noticeably when running. GU, it appears from
the label, has caffeine, while Hammergel does not (I suspect it is
left out of Hammergel because it can have a tendency to cause
dehydration?) Anyway, my question is have any of you had experience
with caffeine pills, like NoDoze, Vivarin or store brand "stay Awake"
pills in connection with triathlon, and if so, what are your thoughts,
comments, cautions or railings? This is something I have not seen
discussed anywhere yet, except for a discussion that said it causes
dehydration and that cutting out coffee two weeks out (and getting
through the withdrawal headaches) should be part of your taper.

Thanks
Old June 4th 04, 03:49 AM
PMcDC

i use gels with and without caffeine and both work. i hope i get a little
more oomph from the latter, but can't say i've really noticed it. i do space
gels (all food, actually) so that there's a steady stream coming in. for me,
this has meant no periods of being hungry, much less running out of gas.
in IMs, if they have it, i take in defizzed coke anytime after the half way
mark of the run. who knows if it works or the sugar works. by that time,
for me, i barely know if i'm on foot or horseback.
peggy

Old June 4th 04, 06:16 AM
StanSD

I have a buddy who is a professional triathlete. He makes extensive use of
caffeine while racing including Red Bull, Vivarin, etc. (below the legal
limit, but that's pretty high). Caffeine definitely has a boost (try some
when you are hungry at the end of a long training ride), but if you overdo
it, it begins to lose its effectiveness. I've heard it recommended to
completely eliminate caffeine intake in the weeks before a race to maximize
its impact when needed.

Stan

om...

Old June 4th 04, 05:28 PM
Susan in LA

I've always been a big believer in caffeine, coffee before races, gel
w/caffiene, cola during long races, but recently a cyclist friend who is a
fairly serious racer told me I should get off the caffeine althogether
because the dehydration effects outweigh the energy-boosting effects. Any
thoughts?

Susan

Old June 4th 04, 07:04 PM
rod richeson

I have read several studies in the last 2 years saying that caffeine's
diuretic properties do not apply to people during excersize. I don't
think the studies were paid for by the caffeine industry, but YMMV.
Most caffeine studies were done on sedentary people, which I think most
studies are unless it is an excersize related study. I use and
recommend abstinance for a minimum of 7 days before key events, then
Vivarin, I don't have the dosage numbers here at work, 1-2 hours before
an event that will exceed 2 hours. I don't recommend utilizing for
events under 2 hours, but people certainly do.

That's a nickel worth of free advice...

Rod
WestSide Performance Multi-Sports
USAT Level I certified coach

Old June 5th 04, 01:27 AM
Sam

Find PubMed on the web and search for caffeine. More information than you
want to know.

Caffeine works for some people and not for others. Caffeine is not as bad a
diuretic as once thought especially during exercise since blood flow to the
kidney is reduced during exercise.

Caffeine does not spare glycogen during exercise. It only increases fat
oxidation at rest (and not all that much).

Susan in LA wrote:
I've always been a big believer in caffeine, coffee before races, gel
w/caffiene, cola during long races, but recently a cyclist friend who is

fairly serious racer told me I should get off the caffeine althogether
because the dehydration effects outweigh the energy-boosting effects.

Any
thoughts?

Susan

pre-workout caffeine reduces muscle pain bc Weights 1 February 10th 04 03:10 AM
Caffine and the lack of caffeine, how bad is this "drug". Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Weights 8 January 23rd 04 10:06 PM
Creatine and caffeine - does it negate the effect? Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Weights 23 January 23rd 04 06:36 AM
Caffeine Levels Hoff Weights 46 November 2nd 03 08:10 AM
Aaargghh! Conflicting caffeine!! Jezz Weights 3 August 26th 03 01:30 PM