Training week ending Nov 11 2012

Old November 12th 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.running
John Hurley

Default Training week ending Nov 11 2012

Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
goals.
Old November 13th 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.running
rms[_2_]

Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
goals.

Just a few 1-2hr trail jogs in the foothills here. Paying more
attention to an upright posture is paying off with less and less hip flexor
twinges, but I'm already gaining weight as winter approaches, probably 5lbs
in the last few weeks.

rms

Old November 14th 12, 12:14 AM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"rms" wrote in message ...

Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
goals.

Just a few 1-2hr trail jogs in the foothills here. Paying more

attention to an upright posture is paying off with less and less hip flexor
twinges, but I'm already gaining weight as winter approaches, probably 5lbs
in the last few weeks.

That's why we do "fat Ass" races.

Doug

Old November 14th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.running
John Hurley

Doug:

# That's why we do "fat Ass" races.

Everyones different ... I am down about 5 pounds from mid summer.

For me personally ... keeping mileage consistent and even building
weekly average miles during the winter is what I try to do.

Too old to let winter get its fangs into me ... too hard to try to
regain momentum in late spring ... too fun to miss out on slipping and
sliding in the snow.
Old November 14th 12, 01:53 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"John Hurley" wrote in message

Doug:

# That's why we do "fat Ass" races.

For me personally ... keeping mileage consistent and even building
weekly average miles during the winter is what I try to do.

I agree that winter is great time to run especially building base. I've been
leading a group for about 20 years. OTOH, I'm not a fan of keeping mileage
consistent all year - this does not allow for recovery. Hanging up one's
shoes(or dropping to 10-15 junk miles a week) for a few weeks a few times
of the year will help keep everyone off the injured list. IIRC even the
Kenyans take a month off and do nada. It’s simple Periodization - build,
race, rest, build, race, rest....... With no rest cycles the injury gods
come looking. Maybe your mid year injuries this year were trying to tell
you something.

FA Ultra races are popular because most of us are back in base mode with
minimal if any speed and we love the social side.

-Doug

Old November 14th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.running
John Hurley

Doug:

# Maybe your mid year injuries this year were trying to tell you
something.

Are you talking about fall 2011 ?

That's the only time I have been hurt ( and still not sure what
happened or why ) in last 25 years. Did have a minor calf pull or
tweak one other time ... nothing major.

Seriously why don't you keep using the strategy that works for you and
let me enjoy the strategy that works for me.

If one is going to take time off running ... to me ... makes little
sense to not stop completely for a week or two ... your idea of
cutting back to some short base mileage ... just does not make
sense ... to me.