NYC Marathon

Old October 31st 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.running
gr0tt0[_2_]

Default NYC Marathon

I guess the Mayor is saying the marathon is going on as scheduled. However, the marathon website is annoyingly vague about this. Puts travelers and runners in a tricky situation.

I'm conflicted about it. The City needs to start returning to some normalcy at some point. And it would make quite a story on the Sunday news. I also know how much work runners have put in training as well as money invested in travel plans.

On the other hand, it also sounds like public resources would be strained and diverted from rescue and recovery operations where they might be more important.
Old November 1st 12, 12:36 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"gr0tt0" wrote in message

I guess the Mayor is saying the marathon is going on as scheduled.
However, the marathon website is annoyingly vague about this. Puts
travelers and runners in a tricky situation.

I'm conflicted about it. The City needs to start returning to some normalcy
at some point. And it would make quite a story on the Sunday news. I also
know how much work runners have put in training as well as money invested in
travel plans.

On the other hand, it also sounds like public resources would be strained
and diverted from rescue and recovery operations where they might be more
important.

Me too! They claim the race usually brings in about 430 million. That's a
lot of revenue to pass on considering the current economic conditions. OTOH,
I wonder how many people that could be helping with the aftermath of Sandy
are delayed to do traffic control. I don’t envy those making this
decision. I'm sure the editorial pages of the NY/NJ papers will be full of
opinions.

- Doug