the grin of winter insanity

Old December 27th 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.running
John Hurley

Default the grin of winter insanity

Lets face it most of us long distance runners probably have a tenuous
grasp on reality even on our good days.

I was out today in near blizzard conditions about 4 or 5 inches
( drifting around a little ) new snow ... pretty soft stuff ( 27
degrees so big flakes ) on the trail.

It does make the legs heavy after a while running through all that
stuff but fun for a change.

Anyway I was out today about 3:30 pm ... saw no one running anywhere.
On the trail for 3 1/2 miles turned around and about 1 1/2 miles on
the way back saw another ( younger ) running coming my way on the
trail.

Two sets of foot tracks coming his way ( my original set and now
his ). As he approached he just pointed down at my tracks.

The clear question was "hey I have been running for a while now seeing
these tracks ... are these from you?".

I just nodded and he grinned and I grinned back. No words ... no
waves ... just the grin of winter insanity ...

No body else around anywhere in our nice metro park trails!

Old December 27th 12, 02:05 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"John Hurley" wrote in message

[...]

I live in any area which normally gets lots of snow so we learn to adapt
and run in it. It doesn’t mean I wait until a foot hits but a few inches
can be fun. As long as I can get reasonable traction I find running in snow
fun. If I find myself working a lot harder with each step, I will lessen my
mileage.

Before I retired I would often run at 5 am in the snow and the only prints
were four legged and the occasional paper boy. Gave me a sense of what
critters roam the neighborhood.

Many of my running friends will don snow shoes or XC skies.

-d

Old December 27th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.running
John Hurley

Doug:

# Many of my running friends will don snow shoes or XC skies.

Lots of fun running in new snow with regular running shoes ... snow
shoes not required!

At least until the new snowfall gets to the 6 inches mark ... running
in more than 6 inches causes serious muscle burning in the legs and
calves and thighs.

Always fun when one can fly right by the very slow cross country
skiers.

I suppose in some locations there are people that can move reasonably
well in xc skies but I never see them.

When the endorphins hit one can even pick up speed while going thru
the xc bunch and holler out "coming thru!" ...
Old December 27th 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.running
Sericinus hunter[_3_]

On 12/27/2012 10:19 AM, John Hurley wrote:
Always fun when one can fly right by the very slow cross country
skiers.

I always enjoy passing mountain bikers on rocky NJ trails.

I suppose in some locations there are people that can move reasonably
well in xc skies but I never see them.

I did. Two days ago in Moscow suburb forest. Skiers are pretty
tough here. I could only beat a skier when going steep uphill.
And it was -20C which called long forgotten memories of my
early childhood.