Looking forward to 2004

Old January 10th 04, 12:17 AM
Fran

Default Looking forward to 2004

said...
I said you could argue that
they should. And you can, and it would be sensible! If you don't see
that, tell me why they shouldn't have an apostrophe when other
possessives do!

I have no idea; they just don't.

There's no logic to these things. Why do we say 'aren't I?' when we
might say (as I have heard in Ireland) 'amn't I?'?

I suspect that "aren't I" arose from a corruption of "am not I"
originally rather than the more questionable "are not I" suggested
by current useage.

Why do we lose the last question mark in such sentences as the above,
in standard style?

Because it's not always a question.

Not that sentence. The one that ends in two question marks separated
by a '

Oh 'eck. Because it's cumbersome? *Shrug*

"Am not I" can also be a
negative statement.

Why don't we write 'sha'n't'?

Because it's cumbersome and people can't be bothered, probably. If
you look at older texts the word "sha'n't" with two apostrophes is
often seen. It looks silly even though it is technically correct
and I wonder if the extra apostrophe was dropped for that very
reason.

A very good reason for dropping them all. They are *all* completely
unnecessary - we don't need them when we speak, do we?

'Course not - but when we speak we use inflexion and body language
to get a meaning across. That's part of why some people find it
difficult to communicate: if they have a problem that involves them
not using facial expressions or whatever they can be hard to
understand.

--
~ Fran ~
Three men walked into a bar; one turned to the other two and said,
Old January 10th 04, 12:16 PM
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:17:38 -0000, Fran wrote:

I have no idea; they just don't.

Precisely my point.

Oh 'eck. Because it's cumbersome? *Shrug*

Again - precisely! There's no rhyme or reason to most of this.

'Course not - but when we speak we use inflexion and body language
to get a meaning across. That's part of why some people find it
difficult to communicate: if they have a problem that involves them
not using facial expressions or whatever they can be hard to
understand.

You can't express an apostrophe with body language or inflexion.

--
Paul
My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at:
http://www.justgiving.com/london2004
Old January 10th 04, 10:22 PM
Gordon

W. D. Grey wrote
In article , Gordon
writes
There are too many laws FOR it, Boyle's, Kerschoff's, Flemings (Cough).

Poor old Avogadro only had an hypothesis!

Avocado needs stuffing!
--
Gordon
Old January 26th 04, 01:25 AM
Paul Saunders

Bernard Hill wrote:

http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/solstice.jpg

Thanks Paul!

Amazing how the clouds focus in on the trig point!

I believe that's called composition! :-)

Paul
--
Calendars for 2004
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cal/cal.html