Schoolgirls In Uniform In Cairngorms Blunder...

Old July 1st 04, 01:16 PM
Andrew Priest

Default Schoolgirls In Uniform In Cairngorms Blunder...

From OUTDOORSmagic
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2751/v/1/sp/606603318365602495688

A London girls school has apologised after mountain rescue teams were
called out to help a party of 39 inadequately equipped young girls in
the Cairngroms yesterday.

The leader of Cairngorm MRT is quoted in a BBC news story as saying
that: "It is one of the worst, if not the worst, cases that I have
come across of a group being ill-prepared going on to the mountains."

The girls were reportedly wearing school uniforms and trainers and
some were reliant on bin liners for protection from wind and rain when
they became lost in mist on top of 2,500-foot Meall a' Bhuachaille.

The Cairngorms are notorious for savage weather swings and there was
snow there just a week ago. Extraordinarily there was just one teacher
in charge of the 39 pupils, a ratio which the MRT leader described as
"completely unmanageable".

Bonkers stuff. See this BBC Scotland story for full details. Story is
at Schoolgirls In Uniform In Cairngorms Blunder...
By Jon

[...]

at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3855259.stm.

Regards
Andrew

Old July 1st 04, 02:29 PM

The leader of Cairngorm MRT is quoted in a BBC news story as saying
that: "It is one of the worst, if not the worst, cases that I have
come across of a group being ill-prepared going on to the mountains."

According to the news on TV moments ago the teacher had no map or
compass, relying on a mobile phone.
Old July 1st 04, 02:35 PM
Craven

wrote in message
The leader of Cairngorm MRT is quoted in a BBC news story as saying
that: "It is one of the worst, if not the worst, cases that I have
come across of a group being ill-prepared going on to the mountains."

According to the news on TV moments ago the teacher had no map or
compass, relying on a mobile phone.

Gets better by the minute :-0 Should have had a GPS at least;-)

--
Regards,
Chris

Old July 1st 04, 02:40 PM
Michael Hobby

wrote in message
The leader of Cairngorm MRT is quoted in a BBC news story as saying
that: "It is one of the worst, if not the worst, cases that I have
come across of a group being ill-prepared going on to the mountains."

According to the news on TV moments ago the teacher had no map or
compass, relying on a mobile phone.

I sometimes think I could write a book about similar such instances I have
seen.

Conversely(I think), I was in the Pyrenees last week, fully equipped with
about 35lbs of (correct)gear and found myself at a tourist hot spot - albeit
in a National Park - and I got talking to another Brit. I suspect, however,
that he was a fair weather weekend walker. Told me I shouldn't be walking
alone! I didn't bother telling him that I'd been doing so for fifty years,
had done MLC courses, instructed youngsters, assessed DoE candidates etc.,
and that I thought he was a sanctimonious git! I frequently walk alone but
accept the risks and always leave an indication of where I am and I also
carry a mobile

Old July 1st 04, 04:10 PM
John Laird

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:16:12 +0800, Andrew Priest
wrote:

Bonkers stuff. See this BBC Scotland story for full details. Story is
at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3855259.stm.

"When we reached them the pupils were less than polite."

I'll bet...

--
Secrecy at my job prevents me from knowing what I do.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Old July 1st 04, 04:40 PM
AndyP

"John Laird" wrote

"When we reached them the pupils were less than polite."

Well, if someone told me they thought it was appalling for me to be climbing
hills in a skirt and trainers I'd at least tell them they were being a bit
daft and to shut up and just get on with carrying me down.

Old July 1st 04, 05:36 PM
John Laird

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:40:45 +0100, "AndyP"
wrote:

"John Laird" wrote

"When we reached them the pupils were less than polite."

Well, if someone told me they thought it was appalling for me to be climbing
hills in a skirt and trainers I'd at least tell them they were being a bit
daft and to shut up and just get on with carrying me down.

Do you often go climbing in a skirt and trainers then ?

I rather doubt the MRT would actually make their feelings obvious like that
(not that I've personally known more than one volunteer and certainly have
never met any in anger, as it were). And I would leave someone behind who
told me to "get on with carrying me down". No, I was rather wondering
whether these volunteers had to put up with some misplaced and displaced
anger. There are plenty of clues in the report that this group were rather
isolated in many ways. Faith school, single-sex, 500 miles from home,
appallingly prepared, woefully under-managed, seemingly unquestioning. If I
went and dragged out 39 youngsters from the local sixth-form and told them
we were going walking up a mountain, just wear your school uniform and stick
on a pair of trainers, I'd like to think at least a few would have the
gumption to question my judgment (those that didn't just tell me to eff off,
that is).

--
Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make a good excuse.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Old July 1st 04, 06:32 PM
Shaun

" Well, if someone told me they thought it was appalling for me to be
climbing
hills in a skirt and trainers I'd at least tell them they were being a

bit
daft and to shut up and just get on with carrying me down.

Do you often go climbing in a skirt and trainers then ?

I rather doubt the MRT would actually make their feelings obvious like

that
(not that I've personally known more than one volunteer and certainly have
never met any in anger, as it were). And I would leave someone behind who
told me to "get on with carrying me down".

I hope that when these people get home their school makes them apologise to
and thank the M.R.T.

I trust that the Health and Safety Executive will be having the mountain in
question removed as soon as possible as it's continued presence obviously
presents a socially exclusive challenge to those useful members of our
society who have no intelligence whatsoever.

Old July 1st 04, 06:34 PM

Was this the same school that lost 100 boys in the Brecon Beacons a few
years ago, the name rings a bell.

They set five groups of boys out on five different unplanned routes with
no note of who was in which group, when it got dark and none of the boys
were back they called mountain rescue who happened to being filmed for
"mountain shout" - a documentary that comes up on Sky TV occasionally.
The leader of the MR team was "trying" to be polite to the teachers :-)

Mark
Old July 1st 04, 06:38 PM

I trust that the Health and Safety Executive will be having the
mountain in question removed as soon as possible

They could ship it to Essex, Pleeease.

Mark