Schoolgirls In Uniform In Cairngorms Blunder...

Old July 1st 04, 11:36 PM
Colin MacDonald

Default Schoolgirls In Uniform In Cairngorms Blunder...

"ScottM" wrote in message
om...
Apparently the teacher wasn't even relying on a mobile phone. She had
to borrow one from one of her pupils to call for help.

And who did she call? Local police? Mountain Rescue? Nope, she called
the bus driver who had dropped them off.

The call to the bus driver was, apparently, to get him to drive up and the
hill and pick them up. Given the terrain ( http://tinyurl.com/3e6bd ) I'm
not sure exactly where the teacher thought the road went. Conveniently, the
bus driver was a member of the MRT.

Colin

Old July 1st 04, 11:51 PM
Fran

said...
See this BBC Scotland story for full details. Story is
at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3855259.stm.

Unbelievable. You couldn't - and more to the point wouldn't -
make it up. Quite apart from anything else there are rules laid
down under the Children Act 1989 about staff:children ratios for
this sort of thing, so as well as stupid the school has been in
breach of the law. Eejits.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old July 1st 04, 11:59 PM
Fran

reitout said...
"ScottM" wrote in message
om...
Apparently the teacher wasn't even relying on a mobile phone. She had
to borrow one from one of her pupils to call for help.

And who did she call? Local police? Mountain Rescue? Nope, she called
the bus driver who had dropped them off.

The call to the bus driver was, apparently, to get him to drive up and the
hill and pick them up.

"__!!!__"

Given the terrain (
http://tinyurl.com/3e6bd ) I'm
not sure exactly where the teacher thought the road went. Conveniently, the
bus driver was a member of the MRT.

He was? Didn't he say something to the teacher before they set
out?
Old July 2nd 04, 12:08 AM
Shaun

" Apparently the teacher wasn't even relying on a mobile phone. She had
to borrow one from one of her pupils to call for help.

And who did she call? Local police? Mountain Rescue? Nope, she called
the bus driver who had dropped them off.

And what advice had she been given from the owner of the Hostel that
the party were staying at before they set out for the hill? "Someone
will die if you climb a hill in these conditions with no equipment".

Now, there is stupid, and there is criminally stupid. Which category
does this teacher fall into?

I quite agree that this was criminally stupid, if the reports are correct.
There is an awful feeling of suffocation with the amount of litigation that
stifles activities with an element of risk but I hope that the authorities
can spot the difference because legal action of some sort is well deserved
this time.

Old July 2nd 04, 12:09 AM
Shaun

wrote in message

I trust that the Health and Safety Executive will be having the
mountain in question removed as soon as possible

They could ship it to Essex, Pleeease.

Good idea - I'm not far from there, so I know how you feel. Coming past the
end of Glen Etive I thought " go on, just one, you've got loads of 'em".

Old July 2nd 04, 01:12 AM
AndyP

"Fran" wrote

Trainers yes, skirt no, but I expect they're nice, comfortable and
unrestrictive articles of clothing eminently suited to the job.

They certainly can be, yes. They also provide a highly useful
degree of privacy for certain functions ;-)

So long as there's no sudden gusts of wind.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:20 AM
Paul Rooney

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:16:12 +0800, Andrew Priest
wrote:

From OUTDOORSmagic
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2751/v/1/sp/606603318365602495688

I automatically assumed from the title that this was a porn thread.

--

Paul

(Watch this space)