Expedition 15 - Carneddau - Trip Reports

Old July 11th 04, 08:25 PM
Paul Saunders

Default Expedition 15 - Carneddau - Trip Reports

DAY ONE - FRIDAY

Sunny day, puffy clouds. Until myself and Bill reached Snowdonia. Then
it rained. On Snowdonia.

Luckily it stopped as we reached the camp site, drove past, turned
around, and reached it again. We couldn't remember which tent belonged
to Jhimmy, so I made a guess. I turned out to be correct. Fortunately
it was in the best spot, against the wall at the back of the field, near
to the conveniences.

We pitched our tents and waited, and waited, and waited. Soon Roger
arrived, followed eventually by the others. We hung around the camp
site, drinking the odd beer. The odd shower tried to dampen our
enthusiasm, but failed.

Roger suggested a route, we all thought it was a bit too long, so I
suggested a shorter one. At least I thought it was shorter. Biggles
estimated the distance! We continued drinking. It got dark. We
crashed out.

Attendees:

Paul Saunders
Bill Grey
Roger Chapman
Martin Richardson
Judith
Paul (Biggles) and brother Stephen
Phil Cook
Fran, Charlie & family

And surprise, surprise... David Laight!

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Old July 11th 04, 11:43 PM
Jhimmy

I didn't do Moel Ellio as planned this morning, the rain belted down in
Llanberis and my resolve to climb it was lower then the cloud level I could
see.

Hopefully I'll write TR tomorrow.

Jhimmy

Old July 12th 04, 07:50 AM
Roger

The message
from "Paul Saunders" contains these words:

Roger suggested a route, we all thought it was a bit too long, so I
suggested a shorter one. At least I thought it was shorter. Biggles
estimated the distance! We continued drinking. It got dark. We
crashed out.

IMNSHO 12.9 miles and 4260 feet of ascent is distinctly harder than 11.5
miles and 3560. :-) I thought I was going quite well until Stephen *ran*
off ahead on the final steep section on the ascent of Pen
Llithrig-y-wrach, the final peak of the day.

With nothing much proposed for Sunday I thought I might as well have an
easy day and knock of Tal y Fan on the way home but Tal y Fan was only
28 minutes from the road so I ended up doing Sundays walk as originally
advertised. came out at 9.09 miles and 3000 feet of ascent. Some slight
unintended variations from the Nuttalls route so it should have been
longer than theirs rather than a mile shorter but the GPS did find an
extra 250 feet of ascent which I think is only partly accounted for by
my diversions both intended and unintended. Climbing over 6 foot high
walls does add up though. :-)

Sundays half day (4hours 26 min) stroll has left me very stiff but at
least on neither day was I troubled by more than a few twinges from my
dodgy knee. Perhaps I can now get round to getting fit again (if the
knee will let me).

--
Roger Chapman
Sig file out of date
Old July 12th 04, 03:24 PM
Paul Saunders

Roger wrote:

Roger suggested a route, we all thought it was a bit too long, so I
suggested a shorter one. At least I thought it was shorter. Biggles
estimated the distance!

IMNSHO 12.9 miles and 4260 feet of ascent is distinctly harder than
11.5 miles and 3560. :-)

Indeed. As I said, Biggles estimated the distance, very roughly it must
be said. I really should have planned it properly on Anquet before the
weekend. Four points though;

1. The estimated distance didn't include any road walking. I've just
measured the orginally planned route in Anquet and the distance (bearing
in mind that I don't know the exact route you took) is only 14.6km,
that's just over 9 miles. I know you scoffed at using cars to cut out
the road sections but there was over 3 miles of road walking involved.
The start of the walk was nearly a mile from the camp site and you
walked over 2 miles back to camp. You could have saved yourself 2 miles
at least. My Anquet measurement is only a mile more than Biggles'
estimate and only a mile less than the distance you recorded (not
including the road distance).

2. Not including the road walking, my Anquet measurement gives me 1150m
of ascent, which in old money translates to roughly 3,770ft. Adding the
road ascent and all the little ups and downs of the rough ground, your
figure seems believable.

The stats for the full walk in Anquet are 19.8km, 1240m (12.3mi,
4060ft).

3. I did include the option of bypassing the last peak and walking
along the edge of the reservoir instead. That would have produced a
walk of 18.6km with just 900m of ascent (11.5mi, 2940ft), and that's
including the 3 miles of road walking.

4. Now that I've studied the map more closely it seems rather obvious
that it would have been best to start and end the walk at Capel Curig.
It probably would have been easier to ascend Clogwyn Mawr direct from
CC, and would have shortened the route overall. Anquet gives me 15.4km
with 1130m of ascent (9.6 miles, 3700ft). That's 3 miles less than your
distance.

I thought I was going quite well until
Stephen *ran* off ahead on the final steep section on the ascent of
Pen Llithrig-y-wrach, the final peak of the day.

I don't know how you had the energy.

With nothing much proposed for Sunday I thought I might as well have
an easy day and knock of Tal y Fan on the way home but Tal y Fan was
only 28 minutes from the road so I ended up doing Sundays walk as
originally advertised.

Aha, Roger strikes again! Nice one. Glad you managed to get your walk
in after all.

came out at 9.09 miles and 3000 feet of
ascent. Some slight unintended variations from the Nuttalls route so
it should have been longer than theirs rather than a mile shorter but
the GPS did find an extra 250 feet of ascent which I think is only
partly accounted for by my diversions both intended and unintended.
Climbing over 6 foot high walls does add up though. :-)

Indeed.

Sundays half day (4hours 26 min) stroll has left me very stiff but at
least on neither day was I troubled by more than a few twinges from
my dodgy knee. Perhaps I can now get round to getting fit again (if
the knee will let me).

That's good news.

Paul

Old July 12th 04, 05:59 PM
Roger

[...]

I don't have the campsite area scanned in but I have just walked my
dividers along the road and get rough measurements for the road sections
as follows: Campsite to School - 0.85 miles, road section before Capel,
0.55, Capel to campsite 1.7 miles. Total 3.1 miles of which 1.4 miles
was unavoidable in the circumstances. What would have helped if I had
been clever enough to have thought of it at the time rather than just
before we hit the road on the way back would have been for the car
drivers to have started from Capel and met us at the school rather than
being transported back to the campsite.

2. Not including the road walking, my Anquet measurement gives me 1150m
of ascent, which in old money translates to roughly 3,770ft. Adding the
road ascent and all the little ups and downs of the rough ground, your
figure seems believable.

But did you add in all those little peaks I had to do to keep up with David?

The stats for the full walk in Anquet are 19.8km, 1240m (12.3mi,
4060ft).

3. I did include the option of bypassing the last peak and walking
along the edge of the reservoir instead. That would have produced a
walk of 18.6km with just 900m of ascent (11.5mi, 2940ft), and that's
including the 3 miles of road walking.

4. Now that I've studied the map more closely it seems rather obvious
that it would have been best to start and end the walk at Capel Curig.
It probably would have been easier to ascend Clogwyn Mawr direct from
CC, and would have shortened the route overall. Anquet gives me 15.4km
with 1130m of ascent (9.6 miles, 3700ft). That's 3 miles less than your
distance.

As you suggest above it is a pity that so little planning was done
before the event. Perhaps we need to have the next expedition in an area
none of us are familiar with. That way we will have to give some serious
thought to what could be done rather than avoiding the popular hills and
seeking out the obscure in areas some of us at least know well.

I thought I was going quite well until
Stephen *ran* off ahead on the final steep section on the ascent of
Pen Llithrig-y-wrach, the final peak of the day.

I don't know how you had the energy.

It wasn't me who had the energy to run up hill. I has a precautionary
Mars bar when we stopped at the dam. That kicked in somewhere about the
quarry and lasted most of the way up Pen Llithrig-y-wrach. However the
effect was fading by the time Stephen ran off. I also took the
opportunity of gaining a long lead while the rest of our group stopped
to use Davids binocs to try and track your section down.

With nothing much proposed for Sunday I thought I might as well have
an easy day and knock of Tal y Fan on the way home but Tal y Fan was
only 28 minutes from the road so I ended up doing Sundays walk as
originally advertised.

Aha, Roger strikes again! Nice one. Glad you managed to get your walk
in after all.

Thanks. So am I.

snip

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)
Old July 12th 04, 06:00 PM
Judith

This was my first URW Expedition, so here are some honest opinions
which may encourage a few lurkers to join in next time.

I'm a walker. Not a climber. Not a scrambler. A walker. So I was a
bit worried that there was going to be just a bit too much
Nuttall-bashing for my liking. (By the way, I wouldn't know a Nuttall
or a Munro or a SWEAT etc if I tripped over one.) We "planned" a
route which looked quite appealing to me and set off along the road to
the start of the footpath. Soon enough we saw a craggy thing and
somebody gleefully asked "Oooh, is that our first top?". I thought
they were joking..... they weren't! I really really did try to get to
the top .... but I plan my routes to miss out lumpy bits!

However, once somebody made the sensible suggestion that I could go
*around* the rock rather than up it (thanks Martin) I started to enjoy
myself. From then on everything was fine. Some people went up and
over everything and some of us went round. A happy compromise.

On the Sunday, I went off on my own and tried to do Tryfan. I know, I
know. Not a good idea after what I've just said about
walking/climbing/scrambling. I got half way up but I thought it was
getting misty [a lame excuse] so I went round Llyn Ogwen and then up
to Llyn Idwal, instead. My shoulders are aching today.

It was good to meet everyone and match up some faces with some
shelters next time Lidl have them in.

So, in summary, all of you who think that URW Expeds are too "tough"
(or too easy) should come along anyway. There's plenty of scope for
splitting the group into those who want to push themselves and those
who want to take things a little easier..... and there was plenty of
beer in the evening.

Judith
Old July 12th 04, 07:07 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Judith
writes
So, in summary, all of you who think that URW Expeds are too "tough"
(or too easy) should come along anyway. There's plenty of scope for
splitting the group into those who want to push themselves and those
who want to take things a little easier....

I can agree with most of what you say Judith, or at least half of what
you say. The last sentence doesn't ring true.

For example Paul S knows the walks I like, and can do, but there are
never any walks of that nature suggested and no one wants to do walks of
5 to 6 or even 7 miles without any macho scrambling or lovely rocky
ridges!

I would love to be able to join in to the full, and I can complete
decent walks in spite of the opinion that seems to be prevalent.

I regret that I shall have to reconsider my future attendance at
Expeditions as far a walking is concerned. I don't want to walk on my
own due to the lack if interest in lesser but still invigorating walks.
The Expedition has developed an uk.rec.hard*******s element which does
not give encouragement to those less fortunate to join in.

The social side of things was second to none and I can't agree more that
for that side of proceedings alone I would come along.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old July 12th 04, 07:19 PM
Judith

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:07:31 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

The Expedition has developed an uk.rec.hard*******s element which does
not give encouragement to those less fortunate to join in.

Now that I know what some of the URW regulars are like - and what sort
of walks they like - I think I would be happier to make suggestions
about a decent 7 or 8 mile walk that the non-climbers/scramblers would
like to do.

On this, my first, Exped I wasn't sure what to expect. Next time, I
will make the effort to plan a walk for myself and suggest it to the
group. This time we didn't really have a plan at all.

Judith
Old July 12th 04, 08:11 PM
sandy saunders

Where are the photos Paul?

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

"Mountains or Mole Hills ..... reaching the
summit still brings the same excitement"

Old July 12th 04, 08:11 PM
AndyP

"W. D. Grey" wrote

I can agree with most of what you say Judith, or at least half of what
you say. The last sentence doesn't ring true.

For example Paul S knows the walks I like, and can do, but there are
never any walks of that nature suggested and no one wants to do walks of
5 to 6 or even 7 miles without any macho scrambling or lovely rocky
ridges!

My girlfriend doesn't often feel up to "hard" walks these days so when we go
off together I often get up early, go off and do something by myself and
then we go for a short stroll again late afternoon/early evening. This has
additional advantages as well because she can drop me off and pick me up
somewhere else. Eg. last time we went to Snowdonia I did a route from Capel
Curig to Ogwen in the morning and then we walked up to Lyn Bochlwyd together
when I got back.