Colin Prior - Landscape Photographer extraordinaire - TGO Jan 2005 edition

Old December 7th 04, 12:32 PM
SteveO

Default Colin Prior - Landscape Photographer extraordinaire - TGO Jan 2005 edition

The current edition of TGO (Jan 2005) makes quite a noise about a new
columnist joinging their books, Colin Prior. Who he? Well, as the
bullet point on the cover says "Britain's Finest Landscape
Photographer"

....so if photography isn't your bag you can select ignore for this
thread now ;-)

Mind you, you'd be missing out big timeif you didn't have a rummage
through the magazine, even if it returns to the shelves when you've
finihsed, because there are some reproductions of absolutely stunning
photographs.

There are two articles from him, one a general article entitled
"Highland Wilderness - the invisible essence". The second is what is
tabled as the first of a regular column contrubutions. Both are
interesting reads.

The second is an emminently readable treatise on digital photography
taking over, why this is a "good thing" (my quotes), film photography
being a "dead" technology (my wording) and the significant benefits of
using Photoshop... and where the use of Photoshop can and should be
decried [in serious/published photography].

A lot of the focus of the discussion mirrors what has been said in
here, by Mr Saunders especially, but in the mag its coming out as a
huge statement in the general press, at least that's how I see it.

Interesting stuff... and awesome photographs!

/me decides to mothball camera and pretentions of ever being able to
take a decent photo ;-)

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk
Old December 7th 04, 01:43 PM
SteveO

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:51:44 +0000, superted
wrote:

Funny that as basically a similar article in 'Outdoor Photography' says
a similar story. He has regular contributions to that mag.

g he's obviously getting value for money with his musings by
reaching different markets! ;-)

SteveO

Old December 7th 04, 04:00 PM
Chris Gilbert

SteveO wrote:

Colin Prior. Who he? Well

COUGH
A coffee/keyboard moment, there.

Steve, you're a bit of photographer. Have you not come across
his work before ? He uses a fancy and very expensive wide-angle
camera for much of his work and anyone who is prepared to camp
on top of mountains in winter just to get pics of the sunrise
has my respect. I also have Colin Prior to thank for drawing to
my attention the beauty of the beaches on the Western Isles. Top
bloke IMO.

Chris

Old December 7th 04, 04:22 PM
Duncan Gray

"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
oups.com...

SteveO wrote:

Colin Prior. Who he? Well

COUGH
A coffee/keyboard moment, there.

Steve, you're a bit of photographer. Have you not come across
his work before ? He uses a fancy and very expensive wide-angle
camera for much of his work and anyone who is prepared to camp
on top of mountains in winter just to get pics of the sunrise
has my respect. I also have Colin Prior to thank for drawing to
my attention the beauty of the beaches on the Western Isles. Top
bloke IMO.

Yeah decent bloke. He was on the Tiso stand at Dundee Mountain Film Festival
last month signing copies of his new calendar.

Talking of the Western Isles, have you seen the horrendous windfarm
proposals for Lewis? I've just put on a webpage about them.

--
Duncan Gray

The Mountaineering Council of Scotland
www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk

Old December 7th 04, 05:46 PM
Chris Gilbert

Duncan Gray wrote:

Talking of the Western Isles, have you seen the horrendous windfarm
proposals for Lewis? I've just put on a webpage about them.

Crumbs. I hadn't realise that they were going to be that extensive.
I would be prepared to tolerate something smaller, concentrated on
the northern end of the island, away from habitation and concentrating
any habitat destruction in a small area, away from Eagle ranges but
a development on this scale is nothing short of madness.
But then I don't live there so what does my opinion count ?

Chris