[OT] Stranded Woman Saved By GPS

Old March 15th 05, 12:34 AM
Fran

Default [OT] Stranded Woman Saved By GPS

Well OK, perhaps the heading's a little on the dramatic side,
and I must confess here and now that this isn't a walking-
related topic; however I have finally used my 'yellow peril'
eTrex as a means of escape from inhospitable wilderness. Sort
of. Our intrepid heroine (i.e. yours truly, but you'd
probably guessed that) was driving from the Rhondda to
Lampeter, across the Brecon Beacons, and looking forward to
the large mug of tea that awaited her arrival. Her trusty(?)
steed, however, was having none of it, and ground to a halt
not far short of the Storey Arms (but too far to walk to the
tea van and back before rescue arrived - grrr). Nothing
daunted, and in possession of a signal on her mobile phone,
our intrepid heroine emulated ET and Phoned Home - to get
Charlie to call the RAC. "Where exactly are you?", was the
inevitable question from ground control; a question that was
easily answered after reference to the Yellow Peril, even
though it would have made everyone's job a lot easier if our
heroine (for it was she) had been able to remember which of
the ten figures to ignore when giving an OS GR...

Anyone got a spare clutch for a Peugeot 205 sitting around in
their garage not doing anything?
--
If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the
Old March 15th 05, 01:07 AM
theo

"Fran" schreef in bericht
[...]

I think your car broke down because of a close encounter of the third kind.
You've probably met, without knowing, the mythical Paul Sondraas. After all,
you *were* in the Brecons Beacons. Beware woman, these are dangerous times
we live in. (not been tresspassing I hope ;-)

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

Old March 15th 05, 12:12 PM
Gordon Harris

Fran writes
[...]

Useful when you have someone at ground control, to translate the GR to a
localtion, but when I hit a stone wall, totalled the car and blocked
half a road out in the wilds, the AA would not work from a Grid Ref, and
needed two attempts to get the road number correct!
It was a 999 call and the arrival of an efficient copper who got the
nearest Green Flag recovery depot out to us who rescued the situation.
--
Gordon Harris
Old March 15th 05, 12:43 PM
Andrew Brooks

Fran wrote:
our intrepid heroine emulated ET and Phoned Home - to get
Charlie to call the RAC. "Where exactly are you?", was the
inevitable question from ground control; a question that was
easily answered after reference to the Yellow Peril

When the same happened to me the clueless numpty in the RAC control
centre had no idea what to do with a grid reference. I told him to
get a map but five minutes later he came back saying he couldn't
find any.

When he asked where I was I replied that I was in the middle of
nowhere with no landmarks and no buildings, and it was dark. He
said there must be something, a petrol station perhaps, and couldn't
believe that I was maybe ten miles from the nearest house.

One clue I was able to give was that nearby the road crossed a river.
But he had no rivers marked on his poor excuse for a map.

He even asked if I could be more precise in giving my location, to
which I replied "is a grid reference accurate to seven metres not
sufficiently precise for you?" !!!

RAC never again :-(

Andrew

P.S. They even had the cheek to invoice me for recovery (I had hit
a deer (poor thing) which mangled the radiator) without warning me
first. If I had known I would have called the insurance company first
but I assumed a breakdown was a breakdown. The invoice said "driver
error" !!!!!
Old March 15th 05, 01:21 PM
RJ Webb

I broke down on the M6 last year.... Repair made... and 3 weeks later
the repair broke - Predictable I know.

I t broke when I was on my way to visit Dumglow.... I tried to tell
them where i was, they would not accept a GR.. Bet they have anice
electric map in the call centre,,,,

Eventually I guided them in on the GPS...

Was towed to a garage in Kelty Regent Motors - remember them..

They got me going again for 24..... Somebody had not tightened a
nut on the original repair.....

RAC Clowns..... Regent of Kelty - Service ++++++!!! Please use if
in area.

Richard Webb
Old March 15th 05, 02:46 PM
Nick Pedley

"RJ Webb" wrote in message
I broke down on the M6 last year.... Repair made... and 3 weeks later
the repair broke - Predictable I know.

I t broke when I was on my way to visit Dumglow.... I tried to tell
them where i was, they would not accept a GR.. Bet they have anice
electric map in the call centre,,,,

Eventually I guided them in on the GPS...

Was towed to a garage in Kelty Regent Motors - remember them..

They got me going again for 24..... Somebody had not tightened a
nut on the original repair.....

RAC Clowns..... Regent of Kelty - Service ++++++!!! Please use if
in area.

Anyone got any warnings about the AA here? Never had a problem with them in
the past. I've just rejoined them after a row with Tesco Motor Insurance
about the price of their Green Flag breakdown cover (79 to join afresh,
114 for the annual renewal).

Nick

Old March 15th 05, 03:21 PM
Rooney

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:46:19 -0000, "Nick Pedley"
wrote:

"RJ Webb" wrote in message
[...]

Why go through Tesco for Green Flag?

Also - the cheapest I've found is Europ Assist, which was way cheaper
than the AA or the RAC, and quite a bit cheaper than Green Flag.

I left the RAC when they would no longer allow the missus to pay for
my membership, citing money-laundering regulations!
I left the AA when they constantly cocked up the direct debits.

Old March 15th 05, 03:55 PM
Adrian Godwin

Nick Pedley wrote:

Anyone got any warnings about the AA here? Never had a problem with them in
the past. I've just rejoined them after a row with Tesco Motor Insurance
about the price of their Green Flag breakdown cover (?79 to join afresh,
?114 for the annual renewal).

I was in the AA for about 10 years, and never needed to call them out.
One icy morning (by home counties standards ...) I burst a radiator
hose due to frozen coolant.

By lunchtime I'd got the car fixed by pushing it to a garage and
bodging a repair, but still hadn't succeeded in getting an answer from
the AA's call centre - their caller queue was so long that public
callboxes dropped the call before I got to the head of the queue.
Goodness knows how long the service van would have taken if I'd
ever managed to register the breakdown.

Doubtless they're fine when they're not busy, but I didn't bother
joining the next year.

-adrian

Old March 15th 05, 08:01 PM
Chris Gilbert

Nick Pedley wrote:

Anyone got any warnings about the AA here?

You should all be members of the Environmental Transport Agency
(ETA). They campaign on behalf of Transport 2000 while the others
are members of the Road Transport Lobby. ETA also use local agents
rather than a national system. I've only had to use them a few
times but they've never let me down.

Chris