[OT] Stranded Woman Saved By GPS

Old March 16th 05, 11:00 AM
Richard G.

In Article ,Roone y
wrote:

I change insurers every year or two, because I've found there's always
a much better deal to be had elsewhere when the renewal notice comes -
sometimes hundreds of savings. Sounds like Tesco were pulling a
fast one.

Where's the best place to go and check prices then?
I'm in the market for motor insurance after the last 17 years as a company
car driver, and not having owned a car previously. Yeah, I know... welcome
to the real world...

Regards,
Richard G.
Old March 16th 05, 11:09 AM
Rooney

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:00:05 +0000, Richard G.
wrote:

In Article ,Roone y
wrote:

I change insurers every year or two, because I've found there's always
a much better deal to be had elsewhere when the renewal notice comes -
sometimes hundreds of savings. Sounds like Tesco were pulling a
fast one.

Where's the best place to go and check prices then?
I'm in the market for motor insurance after the last 17 years as a company
car driver, and not having owned a car previously. Yeah, I know... welcome
to the real world...

Regards,
Richard G.

You can do it all on the internet - Googling on 'online car insurance
uk' will give you a fair number of starting points. It's
time-consuming, but well worth taking a couple of hours to look at
what's on offer. I haven't got a clue what kind of logic they use -
sometimes a company that gave an absurdly high quote one year will
give a highly competitive one the next year.

Old March 16th 05, 11:20 AM
Richard G.

In Article ,Roone y
wrote:

You can do it all on the internet - Googling on 'online car insurance
uk' will give you a fair number of starting points. It's
time-consuming, but well worth taking a couple of hours to look at
what's on offer.

OK, used thisismoney.co.uk so far, which saves quite a bit of time and seems
to find some very competitive quotes from companies I've never heard of!

I haven't got a clue what kind of logic they use -
sometimes a company that gave an absurdly high quote one year will
give a highly competitive one the next year.

Ah, that'll be the "brand new customers only" effect I expect.

Regards,
Richard G.

Old March 16th 05, 11:37 AM
John Laird

On 15 Mar 2005 11:01:09 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
wrote:

You should all be members of the Environmental Transport Agency
(ETA).

No lectures, please. "could" would suffice.

--
The road to success is always under construction.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Old March 16th 05, 12:33 PM
The Reids

Following up to Chris Gilbert

Anyone got any warnings about the AA here?

You should all be members of the Environmental Transport Agency
(ETA). They campaign on behalf of Transport 2000 while the others
are members of the Road Transport Lobby.

So they are named after a terrorist group and campaign against
cars, I wonder why I'm not a member? When I hear RAC spokesman,
they are usually making statements about speeding or similar and
are introduced as having x members, however I never told them my
opinions on anything when I was a member, or wanted them to do
other than fix the car. I must remember to join a rescue
organisation that does not support *any* political point of view
when I get to choose in a few months.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old March 16th 05, 12:40 PM
Peter Clinch

The Reids wrote:

So they are named after a terrorist group and campaign against
cars, I wonder why I'm not a member?

The first point is irrelevant coincidence and the second is a
misrepresentation. If they were anti-car then they wouldn't come out to
fix cars, but if there are /fewer/ cars on the road due to fewer
pointless journeys being made then that will /actively benefit/ those
still on the roads. Or do you *like* sitting in traffic jams?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old March 16th 05, 12:43 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Richard G. said
In Article ,Roone y
wrote:

I change insurers every year or two, because I've found there's always
a much better deal to be had elsewhere when the renewal notice comes -
sometimes hundreds of savings. Sounds like Tesco were pulling a
fast one.

Where's the best place to go and check prices then?
I'm in the market for motor insurance after the last 17 years as a company
car driver, and not having owned a car previously. Yeah, I know... welcome
to the real world...

If you can get an appropriate piece of paper from your company you can
at least start with a max no claims discount with most insurers
(assuming you haven't hit anything in your company car for a few years,
of course). You may have known that, but some folks don't ...

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.
Old March 16th 05, 12:45 PM
Chris Townsend

In message , The Reids
writes
Following up to Chris Gilbert

Anyone got any warnings about the AA here?

You should all be members of the Environmental Transport Agency
(ETA). They campaign on behalf of Transport 2000 while the others
are members of the Road Transport Lobby.

So they are named after a terrorist group and campaign against
cars, I wonder why I'm not a member? When I hear RAC spokesman,
they are usually making statements about speeding or similar and
are introduced as having x members, however I never told them my
opinions on anything when I was a member, or wanted them to do
other than fix the car. I must remember to join a rescue
organisation that does not support *any* political point of view
when I get to choose in a few months.

Better to at least know what the group stands for and what they will say
in your name. I joined the ETA knowing what it stood for and that I
agreed with its aims.

Are there any rescue organisations that won't comment on speeding or any
other motoring issue if asked?

Old March 16th 05, 12:49 PM
Rooney

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:40:00 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

The Reids wrote:

So they are named after a terrorist group and campaign against
cars, I wonder why I'm not a member?

The first point is irrelevant coincidence and the second is a
misrepresentation. If they were anti-car then they wouldn't come out to
fix cars, but if there are /fewer/ cars on the road due to fewer
pointless journeys being made then that will /actively benefit/ those
still on the roads. Or do you *like* sitting in traffic jams?

Pete.

I reserve the right to make pointless journeys - it's my car, my fuel,
my money, my taxes! I accept that someone might want to campaign
against me, but I'm buggered if I'll support them!

Old March 16th 05, 01:18 PM
Peter Clinch

Rooney wrote:

I reserve the right to make pointless journeys - it's my car, my fuel,
my money, my taxes! I accept that someone might want to campaign
against me, but I'm buggered if I'll support them!

But OTOH I'm sure you're quite willing for them to persuade (not force,
mind) /other/ people off the road at the same time!

The simple fact of the matter is a lot of people do themselves no
favours by exercising their right to drive as much as they do. In many
cases a car is the best thing, which is why my partner and I have and
use one, but in a huge number it's actively daft. I know people who
will drive less than 1 km, not because they're particularly lazy but
because they have a default travel option of going somewhere == car.
They're costing themselves money, and often time, wasting time of anyone
else on the roads, and adding to general pollution and public danger.
It is in everyone's best interests if more people at least wake up to
the possibilities afforded by alternatives, which they won't do without
campaigning.

I am reminded of a conversation I had in Amsterdam, where my host for
dinner commented "you /can/ drive through Amsterdam if you want, but it
would be your fault!". This applies to a lot of places in the UK too,
it's just people don't seem to realise the fact.

Pete.