Walking Alone.....

Old March 27th 05, 10:39 AM
Pete G

Never as well.
I did help a family group once who were slightly lost, miserable and wearing
training shoes on wet rock. They asked if they were on the right track to a
particular spot. I said I would show them on their map where they
were......reply "oh we didn't think we needed one"

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On 26 Mar 2005 12:43:11 -0800, "
wrote:

| Most published safety literature on hiking frowns upon walking alone,
| however the majority of my walks are undertaken uncompanied.

IMO this is just risk aversion gone mad.

The real problem here is what are the real risks of hiking?
So I have changed the question to:
How many times would you not have made it back without the help of a
*companion*? You are allowed help from passers by and anyone you can
summon up via a whistle or mobile phone etc.

In my case never, and I have not even come close to such an emergency.

--
Dave F

Old March 27th 05, 10:58 AM
Chris Malcolm

" writes:

Most published safety literature on hiking frowns upon walking alone,
however the majority of my walks are undertaken uncompanied.

Is this stupidity?

It's stupid to walk alone if you're stupid, and research has shown
that many stupid people are too stupid to realise that they're stupid.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Old March 27th 05, 11:07 AM
Geoff Berrow

I noticed that Message-ID:
from Peewiglet contained the following:

How many others walk alone?

Me.

I've never tried walking alone, though most of my walks are just me and
my dog. I like to walk with others, but you have more freedom on your
own.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Old March 27th 05, 11:08 AM
Kenneth Miles

I walk with my Old English sheepdog!

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most published safety literature on hiking frowns upon walking alone,
however the majority of my walks are undertaken uncompanied.

Is this stupidity?

How many others walk alone?

....17 summits this year
17 (15 Marilyns, 2 Sweats, 2 Wainwrights)
0 repeats

Old March 27th 05, 11:12 AM
Geoff Berrow

I noticed that Message-ID: from
Pete G contained the following:

I did help a family group once who were slightly lost, miserable and wearing
training shoes on wet rock. They asked if they were on the right track to a
particular spot. I said I would show them on their map where they
were......reply "oh we didn't think we needed one"

Being a relative newcomer to walking, I didn't at first either. (well
it's hard to get lost walking around Tittesworth reservoir or Rudyard
lake). Later I was using guides from books etc. It became clear very
soon though, that if you made a mistake, then the instructions would
make no sense and at least one walk that was meant to be circular ended
up being linear. I always take a map now even if it's 'just in case'.

Old March 27th 05, 11:17 AM
Nick Pedley

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most published safety literature on hiking frowns upon walking alone,
however the majority of my walks are undertaken uncompanied.

Is this stupidity?

How many others walk alone?

I prefer to walk alone as it's the best way for me to unwind and escape the
stress of modern life and work. It's been said that 'Hell is other people',
I don't know the context of that original statement but I can certainly
relate it to my life and I'm sure others can to theirs! Plus it saves hassle
on trying to arrange a party to walk with.

However, I do let people know where I'm going and the rough route I've
planned so that if I'm not back someone will be looking for me in the right
area.

Nick

Old March 27th 05, 11:20 AM
Michael Hobby

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
On 26 Mar 2005 12:43:11 -0800, "
wrote:

Most published safety literature on hiking frowns upon walking alone,
however the majority of my walks are undertaken uncompanied.

Is this stupidity?

How many others walk alone?

Me.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

At the risk of incurring the wrath of others, I believe that(with some
notable exceptions) much of the safety advice in some of the popular
magazines is merely the reiteration of established procedures by self
appointed "experts". These people seem revel in and gain a bit of self
glorification in pontificating to others on matters which should really be
common sense.

Personally I have probably spent more time walking alone than I have with
others. When I do walk in company it is invariably with ONE other perso
only - he being one whose ability and characteristics I know and who I know
that I can rely on. I believe that to walk in a group of more than two or,
at the very most, three invites too much conflict.

One must always rely on common sense and I think it is worth remembering
that "rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise
men"

Old March 27th 05, 12:16 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:17:10 +0100, "Nick Pedley"
wrote:

| However, I do let people know where I'm going and the rough route I've
| planned so that if I'm not back someone will be looking for me in the right
| area.

I never know exactly where I am going or where I will end up, because the
weather might change or I might see/hear of something interesting.
However I ring June saying "I am ????" at dinner time, or when I can get a
signal on the d*mn mobile. If I don't turn up finding my car "with a
Yorkshire flag on the aerial" should give an indication of where I am.

--
Dave F
Old March 27th 05, 12:24 PM
Pete G

If only they had chosen to walk round a lake. To give a bit more detail,
they were heading to Adam and Eve at the top of Tryfan. They were told
follow the Heather Terrace turn right at the end and its at the top. I met
them on a narrow stretch and as they were on the way up I moved to one side
to let them pass, the lady at the front was crawling on her hands and knees
and only noticed I was there when she put her hand on my boot. She couldn't
see me as she had to take her glasses off because the rain was making it
hard to see through them. During the conversation the lady said "I suppose
you must think we are mad", I made a suggestion that it might be wise to
turn round and come back another day when it was better weather. They said
we have come this far and carried on. I never did find out if they made it.

Old March 27th 05, 12:53 PM
John Goldfine

wrote in message

How many others walk alone?

I always do. Once I was wandering around the Howgill Fells in an
impenetrable fog, clutching map and compass and wishing to God I was sitting
in a Sedbergh pub, when came swimming into mind the lyrics of George
Thorogood's 'I drink alone' whose chorus runs:

I drink alone, yeah,
with nobody else
I drink alone, yeah,
with nobody else
You know when I drink alone,
I prefer to be by myself

To buck myself up, I sang that for a while in the fog, substituting 'walk'
for 'drink'--though, in fact, I also drink alone..with nobody else, yeah!