Expedition 16? Do we have a plan?

Old March 29th 05, 11:59 PM
Judith

Default Expedition 16? Do we have a plan?

I must have forgotten to keep the 6th February 2005 urw thread "EX 16
Location & Date" but a quick Google suggests that we were tentatively
planning:

Whe Brotherswater, (English) Lake District
When: Weekend of 23rd/24th April 2005

Campsite:

Possibly this one (from Nick Pedley): "The Sykeside campsite website
is http://www.sykeside.co.uk and the Grid Ref is roughly NY 403 120.
Hartsop is the nearest village. "

Walks:

Jhimmy: If the weathers right anyone fancy Pinnacle ridge, St Sunday
crags? Stay the night in the Priests Cave, Dove Crag?
Striding Edge - Swirrel edge?

General summary (Jhimmy again):

"Just in case people don't know the area:

* The A592 is the ONLY route to the site.
* Kirkstone pass goes uphill - southwards (northwards is downhill)
* Glenridding is the nearest small town - about 4 miles north.
* Ambleside is 7 miles away southwards - spend all day shopping!
* The Campsite used to have a good stocked shop and 2 pubs.
* All weekend (Fri, Sat and Sun) there will be no need to drive
anywhere as this is in the middle of a large selection of hills.
* There's miles of low level walks all around.
* Boat trips available on Ullswater and Windermere. "

So?

Who's still up for it? I've been keeping that weekend free and hope
to be there. I've done very little walking in the Lakes but there
seem to be enough sticky-uppy bits for a good weekend (even if I do
plan my route to go round them!).

By the way ..... this is an "interest-raising" post. I am NOT the
organiser!

Judith
Old March 30th 05, 10:04 AM
Chris Gilbert

Judith wrote:

Possibly this one (from Nick Pedley): "The Sykeside campsite website
is http://www.sykeside.co.uk and the Grid Ref is roughly NY 403 120.
Hartsop is the nearest village. "

Get there early. It's a very popular site.

There's another, seasonal site just down from Patterdale on the
shore of Ullswater.

Chris

Old March 30th 05, 10:24 AM
Dave Fawthrop

On 30 Mar 2005 00:04:15 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
wrote:

| Judith wrote:
|
| Possibly this one (from Nick Pedley): "The Sykeside campsite website
| is http://www.sykeside.co.uk and the Grid Ref is roughly NY 403 120.
| Hartsop is the nearest village. "
|
| Get there early. It's a very popular site.

Preferable book your pitch early.

Sykeside also has a 5 van Caravan Club Members only site attached.
If you want to take a van book *now*.

--
Dave F
Old March 30th 05, 12:33 PM
Tony Buckley

Judith wrote
a quick Google suggests that we were tentatively
planning:

Whe Brotherswater, (English) Lake District
When: Weekend of 23rd/24th April 2005

By the way ..... this is an "interest-raising" post. I am NOT the
organiser!

Consider my interest raised - I had also put the date and venue down.

T.

Old March 30th 05, 08:49 PM
Roger

The message
from Judith contains these words:

By the way ..... this is an "interest-raising" post. I am NOT the
organiser!

I thought we had an organiser but my memory being what it is I haven't a
clue who it was who who was pushing expedition 16.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 28 summits
New - 15 (Marilyns 4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 10)
Old March 30th 05, 08:50 PM
Judith

wrote:

Possibly this one (from Nick Pedley): "The Sykeside campsite website
is http://www.sykeside.co.uk and the Grid Ref is roughly NY 403 120.
Hartsop is the nearest village. "

Get there early. It's a very popular site.

It seems expensive too. You seem to have to pay for : 1 person AND 1
car AND 1 tent. Cheeky buggers. I think it worked out at 8.50 a
night for a solo car camper.

There's another, seasonal site just down from Patterdale on the
shore of Ullswater.

I'll see what the others (who know the area better than me) say. Is
the Sykeside site worth the money? Could we swing a discount?!

Judith
Old March 30th 05, 08:51 PM
Roger

The message .com
from "Chris Gilbert" contains these words:

There's another, seasonal site just down from Patterdale on the
shore of Ullswater.

Side Farm.

There is also a site in Glenridding that is closer to a pub but I don't
know if that particular pub is as good as the White Lion.

Old March 30th 05, 09:52 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:50:43 +0100, Judith
wrote:

| On 30 Mar 2005 00:04:15 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
| wrote:
|
| Possibly this one (from Nick Pedley): "The Sykeside campsite website
| is http://www.sykeside.co.uk and the Grid Ref is roughly NY 403 120.
| Hartsop is the nearest village. "
|
| Get there early. It's a very popular site.
|
| It seems expensive too. You seem to have to pay for : 1 person AND 1
| car AND 1 tent. Cheeky buggers. I think it worked out at 8.50 a
| night for a solo car camper.

They charge me GBP15 per night for the van, and demanded the first night as
a deposit. I will probably have to stay there as I have booked.

| There's another, seasonal site just down from Patterdale on the
| shore of Ullswater.
|
| I'll see what the others (who know the area better than me) say. Is
| the Sykeside site worth the money? Could we swing a discount?!

I had a look and it is a very good site, with cafe, restaurant etc. It
sounds as if Geoff will not be bringing cooking equipment so he may have to
rely on the cafe/restaurant.

--
Dave F
Old March 30th 05, 09:57 PM
Jhimmy

3 campsites in the area.

1. Sykeside - probably the most expensive but IMO the best location for
starting walks.
2. Glenridding - in the village (previous Expedition experience means I'm
not camping in any town or village again!)
3. Side Farm - White Lion pub a good 10-15 miles walk, site is through a
farm yard and down a narrow rough track. I've had good time there few years
ago.
4. YHA at Patterdale - never been there

It's up to you. I'll go for either 1 or 3.

I'll wait for the weather forecast but I'll probably go there on Thursday
21st and get the best pitch (whereever we choose).

Jhimmy

Old March 30th 05, 10:25 PM
AndyP

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote

They charge me GBP15 per night for the van, and demanded the first night

as
a deposit. I will probably have to stay there as I have booked.

I hope they've put better showers in and added a rockery or two since we
were last there. You could get the 'posh taps' of Limefitt Park or the
'rhododendrons and free cute roe deer with every pitch' of Skelwith Fold for
those kind of prices.