Basic navigational skills badly missing

Old December 14th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Basic navigational skills badly missing

Chris Malcolm wrote:

On general principles, speaking as someone who usually tries to fix
(and sometimes succeeds) every electroinc device which fails,
including watches, mobile phones, calculators, GPSs, and takes an
educated interested in their technology, I'd expect the same level of
reliability out of a hiking-hardened GPS as a watch.

There's more stuff in a GPS to go wrong. There's a reliance on external
signals with requirement for capturing those signals, there's more
information to display on a bigger screen, more and more elaborate
software, greater need for holes in the case, and it's bigger and in the
way of knocks more. There's a lot more of it doing a lot more things.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old December 14th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Chris Malcolm wrote
Peter Clinch wrote:

But the fact remains that a GPS receiver cannot be trusted to
anything like the same degree as, say, a wris****ch.

On general principles, speaking as someone who usually tries to fix
(and sometimes succeeds) every electroinc device which fails,
including watches, mobile phones, calculators, GPSs, and takes an
educated interested in their technology, I'd expect the same level of
reliability out of a hiking-hardened GPS as a watch. My experience of
the two GPSs I currently have, one of which has been used more than
once a week for three years, is not inconsistent with that hypothesis.

I'm excluding running out of battery juice, since that's so easily
avoided and is just carelessness.

I have owned four GPSRs.

The only one which failed was one I dropped on a chunk of Derbyshire
gritstone and the display failed, but it continued to record a
down-loadable track! I call that unreasonable use. :-)
--
Gordon Harris
Old December 15th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Gordon wrote:

The only one which failed was one I dropped on a chunk of Derbyshire
gritstone and the display failed, but it continued to record a
down-loadable track! I call that unreasonable use. :-)

But my point is, if you'd dropped your watch on the same bit of
gritstone would it still have told you the time there and then? Rather
more likely, I think.

Pete.

Old December 15th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:14:56 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

There's more stuff in a GPS to go wrong.

Yurr, if the sky falls in or sumfink, total sky failure would be a
really bad day.

....sorry, just an abstract observation is all, not a comment about
anything in particular.

Old December 15th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Peter Clinch wrote
Gordon wrote:

The only one which failed was one I dropped on a chunk of Derbyshire
gritstone and the display failed, but it continued to record a
down-loadable track! I call that unreasonable use. :-)

But my point is, if you'd dropped your watch on the same bit of
gritstone would it still have told you the time there and then? Rather
more likely, I think.

OK, I've tested the GPS dropping incident, you test your watch, and let
us know. ;-)
--
Gordon Harris
Old December 20th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Gordon wrote:

OK, I've tested the GPS dropping incident, you test your watch, and let
us know. ;-)

I don't drop it much, it's attached to my wrist. Which is another
factor in Not Breaking It, of course...

Pete.

Old December 20th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Peter Clinch wrote
Gordon wrote:

OK, I've tested the GPS dropping incident, you test your watch, and
let us know. ;-)

I don't drop it much, it's attached to my wrist. Which is another
factor in Not Breaking It, of course...

I just glanced at my watch and see that the glass is covered in
scratches, I always forget to take it off when skate-boarding. ;-)
--
Gordon Harris
Old December 20th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Peter Clinch wrote:

I don't drop it much, it's attached to my wrist. Which is another
factor in Not Breaking It, of course...

A friend of mine slipped on some mud once and smashed his wris****ch against
a rock.

Paul

Old December 22nd 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Peter Clinch wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:

On general principles, speaking as someone who usually tries to fix
(and sometimes succeeds) every electroinc device which fails,
including watches, mobile phones, calculators, GPSs, and takes an
educated interested in their technology, I'd expect the same level of
reliability out of a hiking-hardened GPS as a watch.

There's more stuff in a GPS to go wrong. There's a reliance on external
signals with requirement for capturing those signals, there's more
information to display on a bigger screen, more and more elaborate
software, greater need for holes in the case, and it's bigger and in the
way of knocks more. There's a lot more of it doing a lot more things.

True, but most of the extra stuff is modern digital electronics inside
chips, the reliability of which is so good that the reliability of the
entire package depends almost entirely on the residual mechatronics of
the device, the battery, its holder, the case, the buttons, and so on.

I do agree that the reliability of my hiking-hardened GPSs (eTrexen)
is probably less than my watches, but not much, e.g., where I can
expect a watch to go for about ten years without a problem, I'll maybe
get only five years from a hiking-hardened GPS.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[