Best Place to Live in the UK?

Old February 8th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Best Place to Live in the UK?

"The Reid" wrote

I don't know Plymouth but somewhere in the west country near the
coast path and the moors for letterboxing would be good, what
about Exeter?

Perhaps more central for Dartmoor and Exmoor, but I don't find Exmoor to be
terribly exciting, it's probably the least wild of all the national parks (a
lot of it is farmed). Great coast, but so is the whole of the southwest.
Dartmoor is by far wilder and Plymouth gives far better access to the
southwestern corner. Unfortunately it's pretty remote from everywhere else
in the UK. Seems like a nice city, although I've only passed through it
briefly.

2. Aberdeen.

Hmmm, freezing east coast oil town? Still good for snow and
wildlife, ferries to northern isles too.

Quite, I forgot to mention the oil.

3. Edinburgh. Perhaps not that close to the hills, but a very nice city
live (so I gather) and a good base for Scotland.

must be a top 3 choice.

So you're voting for it then? Shall I start a list of votes? Three votes
each?

In addition, I'd have to add Swansea to that list, perhaps in second
place.
Not out of personal bias,

of course not!

No, really! I can't stand the place! I can't wait to get out of here!
It's ideally located, but the city itself is, well. Maybe I'm biased
against it because I've been living here for too long.

what about Manchester?

Well it's very central I'll grant you...

100 miles from the ELD

....but that's hardly on it's doorstep! Of course, the Dark Peak is, so it
has to be a contender for that reason.

I'll vote for London because nobody else is going to and if
Saunders of the Gower is voting for Swansea....

No, I'm not voting for Swansea! I can't stand the place!

Advantages.
1 Whale watching.
2 Easiest LDFP.
3 Climb Mt Pleasant.
4 More wild parrots than you can shake a stick at.
5 Streets paved with gold.
6 Prettiest girls
7 Less racism, sexism, homophobia than a lot of places
8 best theatres, restros etc etc

Drawbacks
Er, hmmmm, no hills or wild areas :-(

ROTFLMAO!

That's a pretty serious drawback considering that hills/wild areas are one
of the two criteria on which we're basing the choice! I think I'll have to
disqualify that one! Next thing people will be voting for Dover because
it's in a nice central location that gives easy access to the Alps, the
Pyrenees, Iceland and Norway!

So come on Reid, what's your three votes? Let's make a rule that you can't
vote for where you live! :-)

Paul

Old February 8th 06, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

I can drive to the ELD on all duals from less than 1 mile from my
house!

Sound fantastic, although what distance is the drive?

We have an mile drive across country to the A34 then north for 330 miles on
dual carriageway/motorway. Long haul, but worth every mile for days on the
Fells.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
summiting still brings the
same excitement'

Old February 8th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Paul Saunders wrote:

1. Good scenery within short travelling distance, e.g. hills and/or
coastline.
2. Good urban facilities, hence it must be in a town or city.

I live in the middle of a national park but have three major cities
within
an hours drive. I can be in snowdonia in two and a half hours, the
lake district in two and half hours and in Scotland in three. My
nearest
town has a non-stop rail service to London. I am within one and a half
hours drive of a major international airport. I can be on either the
east
coast or the west coast in two hours. I can be on the south coast in
four and half hours. If I want a latte and eggs benedict for breakfast
I can be in city centre cafe in 40 minutes on Sunday morning.

Quite useful, really.

Chris

Old February 8th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

wrote

I live just north of Manchester
1 Hour to Ambleside
1 Hour to Dales
1 Hour to Stanage
40 mins to Trough of Bowland
2 and a bit hours to Snowdonia
30 mins centre of Manchester

So, not really near to anywhere! Disqualified! ;-)

Not a bad spot though I still want to live in the Lakes.

Exactly! So where are you voting for? Kendal? Penrith? Windermere?
Keswick? (Are those large enough to qualify as towns?) or Carlisle?

Paul

Old February 8th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Paul Saunders

which is probably a good thing because it might fool
the local scum into thinking that you are still at home.

your really selling BF, you should be an estate agent :-)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old February 8th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Simon Edwardes" wrote

Are house prices a factor? If so, Edinburgh is expensive.

No. We'll assume that if you want to live there you could get a good enough
job to pay for it. Don't house prices often reflect the prosperity of an
area? Therefore more chance of finding a good job there? (Doesn't apply to
high prices due to nice scenery though.)

What about Chester? Easy access to North Wales, Peak District close
by, not far from M6. Don't know about local ameneties and house
prices. Nearest bit of coastline (Flintshire) is a bit grotty I
suppose.

Again, you're looking at it from an access point of view. I agree it's a
good central location but it doesn't have much on its doorstep, does it?
Although I suppose the Clywdian Hills might qualify.

Paul

Old February 8th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Paul Saunders" wrote

I've spent some time in the past thinking about this problem, and IIRC
this was my city shortlist;

1. Plymouth. Right next to Dartmoor and excellent coastal scenery.
2. Aberdeen. Next to the Cairngorms. Coast doesn't look that interesting
and may be quite a bleak place to live on the east coast.
3. Edinburgh. Perhaps not that close to the hills, but a very nice city
to live (so I gather) and a good base for Scotland.

Leeds? Dark Peak, Yorkshire Dales, NY Moors and ELD.

To be honest, there aren't many cities in the UK well placed with respect
to dramatic scenery. But of course it depends how you define a city. If
we enlarge the scope to include towns, the possibilities increase
dramatically.

Keswick, Kendal, Skipton, Fort William, Carlisle, Portree, Ullapool,
Mallaig, Stirling,

One more suggestion - Inverness. Seems like a terrific central location
for the whole of Scotland north of Glasgow and Edinburgh, with Black Isle
and Loch Ness on your doorstep.

Any more?

Lincoln. Gateway to the (Lincolnshire) Wolds. Ahem......

Graham

Old February 8th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"The Reid" wrote

I'll vote for London because nobody else is going to and if
Saunders of the Gower is voting for Swansea....

Advantages.
1 Whale watching.

Lol! Nice one.

Graham

Old February 8th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Paul Saunders

So come on Reid, what's your three votes? Let's make a rule that you can't
vote for where you live! :-)

Edinburgh, Manchester and Exeter is you don't mind coast and moor
over "real" hills.
Old February 8th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to sandy saunders

I can drive to the ELD on all duals from less than 1 mile from my
house!

Sound fantastic, although what distance is the drive?

340 miles! I've done it in 4.5 hours before Cumbria starting
putting Scamera vans on motorway bridges. I've had two tickets in
my 40 years driving, both from Cumbria and I live in London!