3 climbers die

Old March 7th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default 3 climbers die

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:06:16 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Dominic Sexton

However when talking about physical features (such as highest mountains)
I think it makes a lot of sense to refer to the physical continent of
Europe which meets the Asian plate at the Urals.

Indeed, its slightly more problematical if someone says "what's
the highest mountain in Spain?" as that's a political entity, so
I would say Teide unless they say continental or mainland as a
qualifier. "The highest mountain on the penninisula" is of course
Mulhacen IIRC, quite likely don't!

The BBC said, "11,414ft-tall Mulhacen, mainland Spain's highest peak",
which is quite accurate.

As a bit of a confession, if last week in a pub quizz the question
came up, 'What is mainland Spain's highest mountain?" I would have
said, Pico Aneto with 100% confidence. How wrong I'd have been!
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
Old March 7th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"VisionSet" wrote

I could tell people that I have been to the top of the highest mountain
in Europe but I don't because I don't believe Mont Blanc is the highest
in Europe and I have yet to visit Mount Elbrus.

My appologies, I was forgetting walkers anal fixation with mountain/hill
statistics.

Huh? Mount Elbrus is quoted as the highest in most of my books. Where do you
think Europe ends then?

Graham

Old March 7th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Graham Seed

and if you use the political definition of Spain, Teide is the
highest mountian.

Yes, I was going to comment on that, but does that mean the Canary Islands
are in Europe, or are they really part of Africa which means a bit of Spain
is in Africa?

well, some people say Africa starts at the Pyrenees.
A *country* doesn't seem to me to have any connection to
physical geography. But there seems to be qualifiers about
"dependencies" and such like as in Mellila and Cuerta, Spain's
African "colonies". Gibraltar and the Falklands aren't part of
the UK are they? Or are they?

This site seems pretty sure about the Canaries:-
http://www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/of...in/spncan.html
The Canary Islands are an integral part of Spain; this has been
so for more than 500 years, and a huge majority of Canarians have
confirmed their status repeatedly over time. The language of the
Canaries is Spanish (Castilian), but the accent is more like the
Spanish spoken in the Caribbean.
The Canaries form an "Autonomous Community" within the Kingdom of
Spain. The islands have their own Government, Parliament and
Administration, established by the Statute of Autonomy of the
Canary Islands. The Canarian fiscal and economic system is
different from the general Spanish one, which is in force in the
major part of the Mainland.
As a part of Spain, the Canaries are also part of the European
Union. However, the islands enjoy some exceptions in the fiscal
and economic area.

so the answer to what is the highest mountain in Spain is Teide?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old March 7th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Graham Seed wrote:

Yes, I was going to comment on that, but does that mean the Canary
Islands are in Europe, or are they really part of Africa which means
a bit of Spain is in Africa?

There are/were bits of the British Empire all over the world.

Paul

Old March 7th 06, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Graham Seed

and if you use the political definition of Spain, Teide is the
highest mountian.

Yes, I was going to comment on that, but does that mean the Canary Islands
are in Europe, or are they really part of Africa which means a bit of
Spain
is in Africa?

well, some people say Africa starts at the Pyrenees.
A *country* doesn't seem to me to have any connection to
physical geography. But there seems to be qualifiers about
"dependencies" and such like as in Mellila and Cuerta, Spain's
African "colonies". Gibraltar and the Falklands aren't part of
the UK are they? Or are they?

Yes, the physical geography/country bit can be confusing. I don't think I'll
ever get my head round Borneo. Are you comparing the Falklands and the
Canaries though? If the Falklands had a 5000ft mountain I'd have a problem
with Ben Nevis being the 2nd highest mountain in the UK! :-)

[...]

Yet they don't seem to be part of Europe....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tionEurope.png
so the answer to what is the highest mountain in Spain must be 3.1419...

Graham

Old March 7th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Graham Seed

Yes, the physical geography/country bit can be confusing. I don't think I'll
ever get my head round Borneo. Are you comparing the Falklands and the
Canaries though? If the Falklands had a 5000ft mountain I'd have a problem
with Ben Nevis being the 2nd highest mountain in the UK! :-)

It would depend on the exact status of the Falklands. you might
find you wanted to ask for The British Isles or for Great Britain
and if geography was different all might have different answers!

so the answer to what is the highest mountain in Spain is Teide?
--

Yet they don't seem to be part of Europe....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tionEurope.png
so the answer to what is the highest mountain in Spain must be 3.1419...

you get different answers for:-

What is the highest mountain in Europe and Spain? Mulhacen
What is the highest mountain in the EU and Spain? Teide
What is the highest mountain in Spain? Teide
What is the highest mountain in the Iberia penninsula? Mulhacen.
Old March 7th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Paul Saunders

Yes, I was going to comment on that, but does that mean the Canary
Islands are in Europe, or are they really part of Africa which means
a bit of Spain is in Africa?

There are/were bits of the British Empire all over the world.

but were they incorporated into UK as are the Canaries or the
Isle of Wight or Alaska into USA?
Old March 7th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Just to add confusion to this...

The very bottom (south) of peninsular Spain is technically Africa as it
is on the African plate. So, Mulhacen may well be the highest Mountain
in mainland Spain, but is it sufficiently southerly to be in Africa
rather than Europe?

According to the BBC news report the dead climbers were not equipped for
the conditions. I know bad luck can strike anyone anywhere but, what
were they doing there without the kit to back them up?

Jay

Old March 7th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:23:42 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

What is the highest mountain in the EU and Spain? Teide

Tenerife (and the other Canary Islands) is not in the EU, oddly
enough, as I found when I was there last week. Storms early last week
resulted in the Carnival, second largest in the world after Rio
according to the locals, was cancelled; and roads to Teide were
blocked with snow. They re-opened early on Thursday and I managed to
get up to around 7,000 feet for a day's walk in the snow. Cloud was
way below us and covering much of the island. I got sunburnt having
put on less sunblock anticipating a shorter, lower-level walk. Photos
will appear on my website when I get the film developed ;-)

John D.
--
John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
Lake District Walks Web Pages http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/
Old March 7th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:05:28 GMT, Jay
wrote:

According to the BBC news report the dead climbers were not equipped for
the conditions. I know bad luck can strike anyone anywhere but, what
were they doing there without the kit to back them up?

What is the minimum equipment to survive a -20C night on a mountain.

With reasonable clothing and a survival bag I expect you could dig a
snow hole and huddle and survive in there overnight. A 30m walking
rope could be laid in a line from the hole, giving any rescuers a 30m
straight line target to hit.

It would be one hell of an uncomfortable night, but you could probably
rip your pack up to offer some insulation from the frozen ground, most
have some sort of foam padding.

re; How i spent Doug Freese Running 165 January 22nd 06 05:57 AM
Vixen Tor access and assaults Tom Walking in the UK 49 September 26th 05 06:42 PM
Climbers traverse - Great Gable Pennineway Walking in the UK 7 August 2nd 05 08:09 AM