Corbett - Breabag TR

Old July 25th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Lindsay

Default Corbett - Breabag TR

Tuesday 18 July 2006

We parked at the Salmon Hatchery on the east side of the A837, 3.5
kilometres south of our overnight accommodation at Inchnadamph Outdoor
Centre. The midges, flies and clegs were upon us immediately we
alighted from the car and my client, Janice, was ready in record time
and shot off up the Glen. Fortunately I had my midge net but it was
an unpleasant start to the walk.

We walked along the path on the north side of the Allt nan Uamh but it
was very humid and the bracken and long grass at the edge of the path
was still very wet from the previous day's rain. The cloud was still
covering the hill tops but the forecast said it should clear.

We stopped and looked at the Spring where the water appears from
underground while the river bed above is dry. We continued on the
lower path below the bone caves where it is alleged that bones of
extinct animals were found. At the junction of the stream beds, which
were still dry, we climbed onto the open hillside which was quite rough
and boggy and aimed for a gap in the rock face.

On climbing through this gap into a grassy area we disturbed a large
herd of hinds. some with calves. The cloud tended to lift slightly
but then lowered as we headed for the summit of Breabag, disturbing a
lone ptarmigan.

The summit cairn was reached and we had a snack as the cloud began to
break up with views of Canisp, Suilven, Loch Assynt, Quinag and the
previous day's mountain Glas Bheinn, which we had climbed in poor
visibility. While seated at the cairn a deer arrived at a boggy area
just below us and started to wallow in the mud forcing another deer to
get up. Two more deer followed a few minutes apart and they also
began to wallow in the bog.

After some time at the summit, watching the antics of the hinds and
also hoping that the cloud would clear completely from the surrounding
hills which it didn't, we returned to the bone caves and visited a
couple of them where I took a few photographs.

We then descended from the caves and walked back to the start but the
insects were still around in the car park.

Photographs can be found at:
http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/ga...ly06/index.htm

Stats as usual can be viewed at:
http://caledoniahilltreks.blogspot.com

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Old July 26th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

Default Protection of the public

Yet another accident that could have been prevented

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/5215482.stm

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old July 26th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Geoff Berrow

contained the following:

Yet another accident that could have been prevented

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/5215482.stm

And today's non sequitur prize goes to...

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Old July 26th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

contained the following:

Old July 26th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:52:40 +0100, Geoff Berrow
wrote:

contained the following:

Yet another accident that could have been prevented

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/5215482.stm

And today's non sequitur prize goes to...

Seems you don't know the meaning of the term :-))

..

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old July 26th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Geoff Berrow

contained the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/5215482.stm

And today's non sequitur prize goes to...

Seems you don't know the meaning of the term :-))

It's irrelevant to what you've been carping on about, since this was an
organised event.

Angus, I have sympathy with some of the causes you champion but your
incessant trolling of this group simply makes you a prize ****wit in my
eyes. Do you seriously expect to change anyone's mind here or are you
just bored?

--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow
Old July 26th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert

Geoff Berrow wrote

prize ****wit

While I agree and have no sympathy with him whatsoever, the
guy also obviously has a serious problem. Quite probably
autistic.

Chris

Old July 27th 06, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:39:11 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article ,
writes
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:04:14 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:
In article , Geoff Berrow
writes
contained the following:

Yet another accident that could have been prevented

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/5215482.stm

And today's non sequitur prize goes to...

Angus has trouble with his newsreading software from time to time and
doesn't always seem to appreciate when he is starting a new thread or
adding to an old one :-(

Anyway, doubtless he will be able give us the benefit of his knowledge
and experience of this waterfall, or even just of the Galloway Forest
Park, where this unfortunate accident took place. Perhaps he may even
inform us whether he has ever visited the spot.

In keeping with his comments about other accidents in the countryside,
you will notice that Angus pays no attention whatsoever to the victim,
to whom I'm sure all right-minded people will offer their good wishes
for a full recovery.

In the light of yet another accident this week where a schoolgirl fell
30 feet at a waterfall, it is surely time for these organisations to
face up to their responsibilities to protect the public from hazards
encountered on their land.

In case it has escaped your notice, Angus, the group of children which
included this girl (for whose accident you have shown no sympathy
whatsoever, merely attempted to exploit) were on an adventure holiday
and she was "part of a group of nine young people which, along with two
instructors, was taking part in pool jumping at a waterfall in the
woodland.", pool jumping being one of the established activities at the
centre where the children were staying.

Sounds to me like a pretty pointless activity. Is this meant to be
adventure?

Perhaps you would like to explain, taking account of your personal
knowledge of the site (and I note you haven't said whether you have ever
visited it), how pool jumping could take place if the children were
"protected from hazards" there.

The prime objective should be safety; pool jumping isn't important.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old July 27th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:51:37 +0100, Geoff Berrow
wrote:

contained the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/5215482.stm

And today's non sequitur prize goes to...

Seems you don't know the meaning of the term :-))

It's irrelevant to what you've been carping on about, since this was an
organised event.

Angus, I have sympathy with some of the causes you champion but your
incessant trolling of this group simply makes you a prize ****wit in my
eyes. Do you seriously expect to change anyone's mind here or are you
just bored?

What make you think I'm trolling?

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old July 27th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:33:55 GMT, "Chris Gilbert"
wrote:

Geoff Berrow wrote

prize ****wit

While I agree and have no sympathy with him whatsoever, the
guy also obviously has a serious problem. Quite probably
autistic.

And you're not?

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk