F**king Ramblers.

Old May 8th 07, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Reid

Default F**king Ramblers.

On 8 May 2007 05:23:47 -0700, toad
wrote:

The geriatric tag is slightly offensive

I come from a long line of elderly people. With luck I shall be
elderly myself at some point. Hard to see why that would be offensive.

all generalisations can be.

However you are in luck.
so you might prefer to read that version. Ages were irrelevant to the
point anyway.

Yes, thank you, I've seen that now, that's the trouble with this
broadband post as you go lark, I'll have to store them.
--
Mike Reid
Devizes "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk/devizes.htm"
Old May 8th 07, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roos Eisma

PeterC writes:

Mind you, I'm 60 but on the hills (uphill at least) can leave 'em for dead
and thus 'escape'.

And if not there's often the sideways escape.
One time on Jock's road out of Glen Doll we were caught up in a long train
of what seemed to be a busload of ramblers. Instead of spending most of
our time overtaking each subgroup we decided to head of to the left and
had a very nice walk over the plateau back to Mayar. Didn't see anybody
until we got to Corrie Fee.

Roos
Old May 8th 07, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
toad

On 8 May, 13:33, The Reid wrote:
On 8 May 2007 05:23:47 -0700, toad
Hard to see why that would be offensive.

all generalisations can be.

Errrr, isn't that a generalisation in itself?

Anyway I wasn't generalising, I was being specific.

Old May 8th 07, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Rab C Nesbitt

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:35:56 +0100, The Reid wrote:

On 8 May 2007 01:06:25 -0700, toad
wrote:

I was pretty peeved but wondered if I was being a little intolerant -
the hills are there for everyone, why not them.

I would just say that you have your labels wrong. Some groups (most?)
are noisy. The geriatric tag is slightly offensive and I dont think
older walkers make more noise than young on average.

Geriatric delinquents!

(Peter, 60).
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

Speaking as a member of the Ramblers (joined on the grounds they were
doing - and still are - more for walkers in't hills than anyone else,...
don't forget that !!!) who will get his bus pass later this year... ;-) ....
;-( ..

... there's a couple of points... (I speak only for myself, certainly not for
the organisation...)
a) As regards "Ramblers", I think most "Ramblers", myself in particular,
demonstrate "Rambling" in the physical-walking-about sense as well as
mentally (the old mind wanders...) and verbally....
b) There are some Ramblers groups, notably in the North of Scotland who are
unlike those from down south.. 1st time I went out with my local group (I'm
150+ munros..) my first impression was "well, they ain't young..." but after
30 mins it was "Stone me, they are fit..."
c) Have a look at the walk programme for the Inverness Group at...
http://www.ramblers.co.uk/walksfinde...ea=N H+66+44&
(Not my local group, but met a few..) and see where they go....
d) I'd rather see those in their declining years wandering the hills than
drooping down in some "twilight home..."... mind you, keeping fit in old age
makes the pensions crisis worse...
e) I live in hope that at some time I get the chance, with the right
partner, and if the body can still cope, to have a go at "F***ing
Ramblers"... - but the wife's nae so keen...

Yours aye

Old May 8th 07, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert

toad wrote

Errrr, isn't that a generalisation in itself?

All generalisations are wrong.

Chris

Old May 8th 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Reid

On 8 May 2007 05:54:01 -0700, toad
wrote:

Errrr, isn't that a generalisation in itself?

if you like to play with words, yes. In reality, no.

Anyway I wasn't generalising, I was being specific.

If you attach labels to a single group, "schoolkids", "geriatric",
"black", "foreign" it leads to the conclusion you are associating that
behavior with that grouping.

"I was mugged by a blackman" begs the assumption, blackmewn are
muggers.
"I was mugged by a man" ditto for men over women
"I was mugged" assumes all muggings are in the past.
Best to say nothing.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old May 8th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert

Rab C Nesbitt

e) I live in hope that at some time I get the chance, with the right
partner, and if the body can still cope, to have a go at "F***ing
Ramblers"... - but the wife's nae so keen...

He he :-D Gordon'll be around soon to offer advice
on open-air conjugation, I'm sure.

Chris

Old May 8th 07, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
toad

wrote:

Errrr, isn't that a generalisation in itself?

if you like to play with words, yes. In reality, no.

Anyway I wasn't generalising, I was being specific.

If you attach labels to a single group, "schoolkids", "geriatric",
"black", "foreign" it leads to the conclusion you are associating that
behavior with that grouping.

Don't be so utterly stupid. I wasn't associating any behavior with any
group based on any description of age. (Indeed I rewrote the post to
avoid any age related description of either group and the meaning was
blatently unchanged.)

Now 'F**king Ramblers' might be generalising in the manner you
suggest.

Old May 8th 07, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Reid

On 8 May 2007 06:27:49 -0700, toad
wrote:

If you attach labels to a single group, "schoolkids", "geriatric",
"black", "foreign" it leads to the conclusion you are associating that
behavior with that grouping.

Don't be so utterly stupid.

only very stupid people make the assumption those who take a different
view are stupid.

I wasn't associating any behavior with any
group based on any description of age.

if you include the adjective you imply the association.
Old May 8th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
PeterC

On 08 May 2007 12:33:33 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:

PeterC writes:

Mind you, I'm 60 but on the hills (uphill at least) can leave 'em for dead
and thus 'escape'.

And if not there's often the sideways escape.

snip

Yes, did that in the Lakes: Easter camping in Langdale (I know!), started
at 100, went across the ridges and valleys, down at 2300-2330. Not many
people about except for a few yards twice per cycle (also didn't buy any
beer).