Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

Old February 22nd 08, 06:58 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Prisoner at War

Default Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

On Feb 21, 2:02 am, wrote:
Does weight lifting speed up weight loss quicker or does cardio
exercises?

Carido does -- but dieting helps most of all. You really can't burn
enough calories to make up for a thousands of daily calories, unless
maybe if you're Army infantry or something.

If someone has a goal to lose about 45 to 50 lbs. in three
months and are following a healthy diet/calorie plan, would cardio
exercises be the best choice to meet their weight loss goal quicker?

Definitely. But you should do some weight-training as well, just for
the general healthy aspects of it. The advice from lifters is that
muscles burn calories even at rest, but a recent NYT article this year
noted that those increased muscles -- at rest -- would only burn an
extra 25 or so calories a day...so yeah it's true that more
musculature burns more calories but apparently not much more at
all....

Two of my friends spent money on a personal trainer to help them with
their weight loss goal. Their trainer had them due 20 minutes of
cardio and 60 minutes of weight lifting with different routines 4
times a week. After 4 months of weightlifting with cardio exercises
and following a healthy plan to reach their weightloss goal, they only
loss 10 to 15lbs. Which was very frustrating for them.

Yes, it may be frustrating, but it's also safer to lose weight slowly
than too fast. It's also possible that your friends gained a few
pounds of muscle (though probably only three or four) which had offset
the losses. Main thing is to see whether they look good or
not...there are people on that "Biggest Loser" TV show who weigh fifty
pounds less than me and yet look round as a beach ball!

Today, both of my friends lost a lot of weight by eating healthy and
doing cardio exercises 4 times a week for 60 minutes a day on their
own. One lost 55lbs. and the other lost 50lbs. They both tell me
that cardio exercises helped them reach their weight loss goal quicker
than weight lifting. Now that they have reached their goal, they are
now incorporating weights to their exercises along with cardio. They
exercise 3 times a week, each day 20-30 minutes of weightlifting and
30 minutes of cardio.

Well, looks like you knew the answer all along, then!

If someone has about 50 lbs. to 75 lbs. to lose in 6 months and
follows a healthy food plan, should they lose the majority of their
weight with cardio exercises first, then incorporate weight lifting
and cardio once they reached their goal?

Any thoughts?

Yes, if weight loss is the primary objective, dieting is most
effective, then cardio, then weights. But best of all is to
incorporate all three, uh, "disciplines" into any plan.
Old February 23rd 08, 09:11 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
[email protected]

On Feb 22, 9:58 am, Prisoner at War wrote:
On Feb 21, 2:02 am, wrote:

[...]

The real question is: is the goal to reduce your weight or to look
better. Since muscle weighs more than fat we may even get weight at
the beginning of exercising after a sedentary life style. I
recommend to my weight reduction clients to forget about using the
scale for the first few weeks of getting fit and use their clothes as
a measure of success. Later they can use their weight as a guideline.

As far as the original question is concerned a combination of eating
well (lowering calories while eating more nutritious foods like more
fruits and vegetables) doing both cardio and weights leads to best
permanent weight reduction.
Old May 26th 10, 02:45 PM
Nathan2525 Nathan2525 is offline
Junior Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner at War View Post
On Feb 21, 2:02 am, wrote:
[...]

I have found the best way to lose weight is by doing the following,
1. Diet
Eating the right foods will make things 1000 times easier

2. Interval Training
I found my best results come from interval training.

3. Weight Program
By having a weight program, you are also helping to burn
off fat while build the muscle from underneath.
Old November 18th 10, 10:22 PM
Marissa Marissa is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan2525 View Post
I have found the best way to lose weight is by doing the following,
1. Diet
Eating the right foods will make things 1000 times easier

2. Interval Training
I found my best results come from interval training.

3. Weight Program
By having a weight program, you are also helping to burn
off fat while build the muscle from underneath.
This. But tailor it to yourself.

My workout and diet program after I had my baby was vastly different from before. I'm trying to get used to the changes that my body recently weight through because of the pregnancy, so I'm still getting used to the different routines as well.
__________________
A mommy looking to flatten her belly after pregnancy while losing pregnancy weight.
Old April 4th 13, 04:37 PM
Adrien8100 Adrien8100 is offline
Junior Member

Swimming is the best Cardio / calorie burning exercise out there and there is little to no impact on joints. No doubt a relaxing form of exercise means weight lost by swimming is fun too! I have been a swimmer my whole life and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to shape up.

View our wide range | Above Ground Pools

Last edited by Adrien8100 : November 9th 13 at 08:19 AM.
Old April 9th 13, 09:31 AM
Stephanie Ingram Stephanie Ingram is offline

On Feb 21, 2:02 am, wrote:
[...]

Cardio glow additional calories during the exercise, but weight-lifting builds more
Old May 30th 13, 11:45 PM
Chris M. Chris M. is offline
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Ingram View Post
Cardio glow additional calories during the exercise, but weight-lifting builds more
For every 1 pound of lean muscle mass you have you will burn 100 calories so its very important to mix cardio with resistance training to optimize your metabolic fat burning abilities. If over time you add 10 pounds of lean muscle to your frame you will be burning 1,000 calories a day which will help you lose the body fat. Remember to not let the scale rule over you. You could be losing body fat but gaining lean muscle tissue at the same time and not see the scale go down. Its overall body composition you should shoot for. Let the fit of your clothes be your primary gauge not the scale.