Weight-lifting for weight-loss

Old July 21st 03, 06:35 PM
Peter Gibbons

Default Weight-lifting for weight-loss

Im a 29 year old, 6'3'' 250lbs male. I have been working out
regularly (at least 3 times per week) in the gym for about the past 6
years. Around January of 2002, I started lifting heavy and managed to
pack on about 20 lbs of muscle and fat. My bodyfat is probably around
20% right now.

But even with the additional muscle, I'm not burning much of this fat
off. So at this point, I need to stop adding on any muscle weight
whatsoever (blasphemy, I know), and also lose as much bodyfat as I can
over the next few months. Why? There's a good chance I could be in
military officer school towards late fall/early winter, and they have
zero tolerance when it comes to being over the pre-determined weight
for your height. If you show up to OTS overweight, you are going
home. I think my MAW (max allowable weight) is around 225 - so that's
about 25 lbs to lose in, lets say, 3 months.
2 lbs/week for 12 weeks = 24 lbs. Close enough.

So, I need to change up my routine to more of an endurance/weight-loss
program rather than a strength program. Several years ago, before I
went to the 3x per week routine, my workout partner and I were hitting
the gym 5 days a week, and I was down around 220. Because of this, I
thought I would try to get back into that routine - start going to the
gym more often, as well as using a higher-rep/lower-weight routine so
I can increase my muscle endurance and also minimize the muscle gain.
The basic routine breakdown would be:

Day 1 - Chest & Back
Day 2 - Shoulders & Arms
Day 3 - Legs
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Chest & Back
Day 6 - Shoulders & Arms
Day 7 - Rest

Figure 5 sets of 12-10-8-6-6 on most exercises. Roughly 3 exercises
per bodypart, so maybe 30 working sets on the 'Chest & Back' and
'Shoulders & Arms' days. As well as some cardio thrown in there
whenever I can manage it.

As far as food intake goes, I'm already watching my calories
(~2000/day according to www.fitday.com) and trying to eat smaller
meals more often so I can keep my metabolism up.

So what do you guys think about that. Any tips? Anything else I
could add in or take away to give me a better shot at dropping fat and
trimming down my muscle weight without looking like a long-distance
runner?
Old July 21st 03, 09:01 PM
Theresa

PatrickFalcon31 wrote:
There's a good chance I could be in
military officer school towards late fall/early winter, and they have
zero tolerance when it comes to being over the pre-determined weight
for your height. If you show up to OTS overweight, you are going
home. I think my MAW (max allowable weight) is around 225

They don't figure in body fat? Or overall fitness? I'm amazed.
Sounds like they'd send home a good many professional linebackers.

Patrick Falcon

I was reading Paul Anderson's biography. He got rejected from Army service
because they didn't have uniforms in size Mountain Silverback Gorilla.

--
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.

Old July 21st 03, 09:22 PM
Willem

"Theresa" wrote:

I was reading Paul Anderson's biography. He got rejected from Army
service because they didn't have uniforms in size Mountain

Silverback
Gorilla.

Just saw Ronnie Coleman's vid.... He could always join the police..
they make uniforms in Ronnie's size....

Willem.

(damn 200 pound DB press)

Old July 21st 03, 09:38 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , Willem
wrote:

"Theresa" wrote:

I was reading Paul Anderson's biography. He got rejected from Army
service because they didn't have uniforms in size Mountain

Silverback
Gorilla.

Just saw Ronnie Coleman's vid.... He could always join the police..
they make uniforms in Ronnie's size....

Willem.

Anderson would make about 2 of Coleman.

Mebbe 4 around the waist.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:39 AM
Roger Zoul

Peter Gibbons wrote:
:: Im a 29 year old, 6'3'' 250lbs male. I have been working out
:: regularly (at least 3 times per week) in the gym for about the past 6
:: years. Around January of 2002, I started lifting heavy and managed
:: to pack on about 20 lbs of muscle and fat. My bodyfat is probably
:: around 20% right now.
::
[...]

Geez....when you work chest, you getting some shoulders & tris, when you
work back, you're getting biceps.

why not do a full body routine...4 days a week. Then do HIIT cardio on
inbetween days.

Still, if you control diet and get some cardio in, you ought to be okay.
HIIT is better for fat burning than normal cardio....

:: Figure 5 sets of 12-10-8-6-6 on most exercises. Roughly 3 exercises
:: per bodypart, so maybe 30 working sets on the 'Chest & Back' and
:: 'Shoulders & Arms' days. As well as some cardio thrown in there
:: whenever I can manage it.
::
:: As far as food intake goes, I'm already watching my calories
:: (~2000/day according to www.fitday.com) and trying to eat smaller
:: meals more often so I can keep my metabolism up.
::
:: So what do you guys think about that. Any tips? Anything else I
:: could add in or take away to give me a better shot at dropping fat
:: and trimming down my muscle weight without looking like a
:: long-distance runner?

using walking for permanent weight loss advice needed Rick Johnston Walking 6 June 20th 06 07:18 AM
Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
My Weight loss Story Jenny Aerobic 0 April 28th 04 12:07 PM
ephedra for weight loss Josh Brown Weights 16 July 17th 03 05:31 AM