Atkins report #4

Old September 5th 03, 12:54 PM
Martin W. Smith

Default Atkins report #4

I have decided to put my stake in the sand and declare that I have
reached my goal weight. I have been as low as 85.5 kilos, which is a
loss of 12 kilos, and I seem to be "wanting" to stay in the 86.5 to 87.5
kilo range, which is a loss of 10+ kilos, which was my original goal. At
least three people have commented that I appear to have lost too much
weight, which might be true, given that when I look at myself in the
mirror, naked, I look very thin. Given my hopefully standard level of
vanity, the fact that even I think I am a bit too thin probably
indicates I should stop trying to lose weight.

Still, my BMI is 24.6-24.8, which is in the normal range near the top
but well above the ideal range, according to the BMI page, which says I
should be at 22 and weight 82 kilos. One (supposed) MD on the low-carb
diet newsgroup said I should be at 20!. When I replied that at 74 inches
cm I would have to weigh 156 lbs to have a BMI of 20, and that I haven't
weighed 156 lbs since before my growth spurt as a teenager, the doctor
said that 20 is still what he would recommend. So I guess you can't
really trust advice you get on the internet after all.

I have not yet remeasured my body fat percent. The one time I did
measure it using the electrical impedence method, it registered 19%,
which I think is too high. But the electronic impedance method is
dependent on the body's state of hydration, so I will wait until I can
buy my own body fat scale to resume BF measurements. I would like to get
it down to 15% or so, but I don't see a lot of fat, so if I really am at
19%, maybe I will have to stay there.

Officially, I am now in the Pre-mantenance phase of the Atkins diet,
which is a phase in which you are no longer trying to lose weight.
Rather, you are adding carbs back into your diet, 10 grams of daily
carbs per week, until you reach a total carb weight at which you no
longer lose weight. Well, I haven't been that precise about following
the rules in either of the first two phases, and I don't plan to measure
carbs to that level of accuracy. I will eyeball it as I have been doing.
I plan to add some fruit (maybe a second banana and one or two apples,
etc), some higher gi cereal (maybe some granola instead of All Bran
Plus), and a weekly sushi dinner (rice). I plan to reduce fat a little
by reducing cheese and red meat. I will also probably drink more fruit
juice (unsweetened) and sample the occasional chocolate chip cookie.

We'll see how that goes. If it goes well, then I might try an experiment
in which I switch to the Pritikin diet for at least part of the Autumn,
which is when I would still be on that diet naturally anyway, if I were
a hunter-gatherer.

I have increased my total amount of exercise per week, because my
fitness club has just begun its fall class schedule, and they have
increased the number babe-fest aerobics classes. I am doing two one-hour
aerobics or spinners classes of fairly high intensity four days per week
now, in addition to my 1500m swim each weekday morning. Some days I do a
longer swim session with another guy who swims an actual workout. He's a
lot faster than I am, but he adjusts his intervals to suit me. So I
suppose I am doing 12 to 15 hours of high quality exercise per week,
which is a bit over the top, but I enjoy it. I think the Atkins diet is
better attempted in conjunction with a vigorous exercise regiment, and
the book recommends it be done that way.

martin

--
Draft Wesley Clark for President!
www.DraftWesleyClark.com

Martin Smith email:
Old September 5th 03, 02:40 PM
Helgi Briem

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:54:39 +0200, "Martin W. Smith"
wrote:

Still, my BMI is 24.6-24.8, which is in the normal range near the top
but well above the ideal range, according to the BMI page, which says I
should be at 22 and weight 82 kilos.

These figures are ridiculous for an athlete. I have a BMI of 25.3
(180cm, 82kg or 5'11", 181 lbs) and my fat is about 12-14%

Old September 5th 03, 05:26 PM
DaKitty

wrote:

Still, my BMI is 24.6-24.8, which is in the normal range near the top
but well above the ideal range, according to the BMI page, which says I
should be at 22 and weight 82 kilos.

These figures are ridiculous for an athlete. I have a BMI of 25.3
(180cm, 82kg or 5'11", 181 lbs) and my fat is about 12-14%

yeap, very true.
It's the lean mass vs. the fat mass that counts, along with bone density and
water retention figures.
I like the test my weight doctor does periodically, it gives you all of
those figures.
You get to figure out how may pounds of water your'e retaining, how much fat
you have, how much lean body mass, another 3 or 4 figures. I don't recall
off the top of my head what they are.
I usually focus on the first three, fat, lean mass and water.

Old September 6th 03, 08:20 AM
Kobe AnyHoleWillDo Bryant

BMI has ZERO value for individuals.

What is your BF%?
"I measure success by the degree to which I ruin other people's lives."

Old September 7th 03, 03:41 AM
DaKitty

"Kobe AnyHoleWillDo Bryant" wrote in message
BMI has ZERO value for individuals.

What is your BF%?

I'm not sure if it's me you're asking... from the way the thread is laid out
seems like you might be..

My BF has relatively low body fat%, I'm gonna guess in high teens.. He
hasn't checked it in a long time, several years.
Like most guys in their 40's, he's little bit soft in the mid section, but
the rest of him, arms, legs, back chest... is pretty ripped. So it couldn't
be much.
He was actually bragging few months ago, he saw in some magazine Evender
Hollifield's measurements, arms, legs chest waist etc... and his are almost
the same.