meet report...still learning

Old August 24th 03, 04:05 AM
Will

Default meet report...still learning

Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

First off, I am crappy at weight management. I get paranoid and overdo
the weight cutting measures the week before a meet...although I think
the scale I rely on at home may be weighing a little heavy as well.
Whatever the exact reasons, I competed in the 220 lb class weighing in
at...

211. (At a hair over 6 feet tall)

Yikes! I was in the mid 220s at the start of the month. That shook me
up a bit. And while it's no excuse, my coach bailed on me at the last
minute.

Despite the weight loss I didn't feel too bad but my bench shirt felt
really loose. My warmup with 275 touched easily, I'm used to needing at
least 315 to be sure to touch.

Opened at 319...smoked it. Figured I'd be good for 353. Figured wrong.
First time I'm told I brought it down too high on my chest. Got it
halfway up and stalled out. Third attempt hit where it should but
stalled out again, and I probably cut the pause short anyway. Crap.
I've done a solid 350 in the gym, but I weighed a lot more than 211 at
the time. My bench shirt didn't leave a single mark on my body, a sure
sign it's too loose now.

At least I hit my goal of 1.5x bodyweight at a meet...but this is not
how I wanted to do it.

Similar story for the deadlift. With no coach and feeling so
underweight I decided to stick with my play it safe, raw attempt
strategy. Opened with 408 and got it ok. Next was 424, double
bodyweight. Got it, but it was way harder than it should have been. I
got it moving and just refused to stop despite fighting it for what felt
like an eternity...probably 6 seconds or so. Got a lot of support from
the crowd. It really says something about the comraderie of
powerlifting that I got a ton of applause and personal congratulations
for busting my butt to complete what is quite frankly a very
unimpressive lift. Just for the hell of it I asked for 452 for my third
and stuffed myself into my Metal Deadlifter as fast as I could. Got the
bar to my knees and tried my damnedest not to give up on it as I fought
the straps until the fingers on my right hand peeled open. I think I
need some custom work to get a deadlift suit that works for me, a 54
Metal is way too loose on my hips and thighs but the straps on the 52
kill me.

So, mixed feelings at the end of the day. Once again I seem to have
left my best lifts in the gym, but at least I'm improving. I need to be
a lot less stupid about weight management and figure out how to peak for
meets rather than test days in the gym. I am starting to think the
instensity during the last two weeks of the peaking phase in Sheiko is
just too low, at least for me. It feels strange going into a meet not
having lifted anything really heavy for two weeks, especially
considering i do better on test days in the middle of normal training
weeks.

And next meet I'm lifting at whatever I weigh fully fed, even if it
means lifting in the 242's at 220.7.
Old August 24th 03, 04:12 AM
whit

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

your deadlift is way disproportional to your bench.

you didn't do a 450 deadlift at 221 lbs bodyweight, but you "smoked" a 319
bp, albeit with a shirt

whit

Old August 24th 03, 04:55 AM
Keith Hobman

In article , Will
wrote:

Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

First off, I am crappy at weight management. I get paranoid and overdo
the weight cutting measures the week before a meet...although I think
the scale I rely on at home may be weighing a little heavy as well.
Whatever the exact reasons, I competed in the 220 lb class weighing in
at...

211. (At a hair over 6 feet tall)

Jeez. How do you do that?

[...]

I've felt that about the Sheiko as well. I actually go in every day and do
some speed work during the last two weeks and introduce plyos as well. But
I think the problem might be weight control more than the routine. It
appears you are the type that drops a pile of weight prior to a meet. Bob
Mann does the same and always seems stronger in the gym than he shows at
the meet. The problem I think is learning to relax prior to the meet.

But still - it was a good day!
Old August 24th 03, 06:22 AM
Jeff Finlayson

Will wrote:

Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

First off, I am crappy at weight management. I get paranoid and overdo
the weight cutting measures the week before a meet...although I think
the scale I rely on at home may be weighing a little heavy as well.
Whatever the exact reasons, I competed in the 220 lb class weighing in
at...

211. (At a hair over 6 feet tall)

When did you weigh in; meet day or day before?

Yikes! I was in the mid 220s at the start of the month. That shook me
up a bit. And while it's no excuse, my coach bailed on me at the last
minute.

Despite the weight loss I didn't feel too bad but my bench shirt felt
really loose. My warmup with 275 touched easily, I'm used to needing at
least 315 to be sure to touch.

Seems like losing a few pounds (mostly water??) wouldn't make that much
difference. Wash and dry the shirt before the meet.

Opened at 319...smoked it. Figured I'd be good for 353. Figured wrong.
First time I'm told I brought it down too high on my chest. Got it
halfway up and stalled out. Third attempt hit where it should but
stalled out again, and I probably cut the pause short anyway. Crap.
I've done a solid 350 in the gym, but I weighed a lot more than 211 at
the time. My bench shirt didn't leave a single mark on my body, a sure
sign it's too loose now.

Slowing your descent a little may help you touch where you want more
consistently. If that was a one time thing then nevermind.

[...]

-- Fine job with 424 lb!

Get the straps on the 52 loosened. Or get the straps tightened on the 54.

So, mixed feelings at the end of the day. Once again I seem to have
left my best lifts in the gym, but at least I'm improving. I need to be
a lot less stupid about weight management and figure out how to peak for
meets rather than test days in the gym. I am starting to think the
instensity during the last two weeks of the peaking phase in Sheiko is
just too low, at least for me. It feels strange going into a meet not
having lifted anything really heavy for two weeks, especially
considering i do better on test days in the middle of normal training
weeks.

Make some adjustments or try another routine.

And next meet I'm lifting at whatever I weigh fully fed, even if it
means lifting in the 242's at 220.7.

Try it and you might end up at 220 anyway.

Rest up. Get back at it in a few days.

Jeff out ...
Old August 24th 03, 10:27 PM
Will

In article ,
Jeff Finlayson wrote:

Will wrote:

Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

First off, I am crappy at weight management. I get paranoid and overdo
the weight cutting measures the week before a meet...although I think
the scale I rely on at home may be weighing a little heavy as well.
Whatever the exact reasons, I competed in the 220 lb class weighing in
at...

211. (At a hair over 6 feet tall)

When did you weigh in; meet day or day before?

Day before. Was probably about 216 during the meet.

Yikes! I was in the mid 220s at the start of the month. That shook me
up a bit. And while it's no excuse, my coach bailed on me at the last
minute.

Despite the weight loss I didn't feel too bad but my bench shirt felt
really loose. My warmup with 275 touched easily, I'm used to needing at
least 315 to be sure to touch.

Seems like losing a few pounds (mostly water??) wouldn't make that much
difference. Wash and dry the shirt before the meet.

Actually, I was close to 230 when I bought the shirt, so it was more
than a few pounds.

Opened at 319...smoked it. Figured I'd be good for 353. Figured wrong.
First time I'm told I brought it down too high on my chest. Got it
halfway up and stalled out. Third attempt hit where it should but
stalled out again, and I probably cut the pause short anyway. Crap.
I've done a solid 350 in the gym, but I weighed a lot more than 211 at
the time. My bench shirt didn't leave a single mark on my body, a sure
sign it's too loose now.

Slowing your descent a little may help you touch where you want more
consistently. If that was a one time thing then nevermind.

Thanks for the tip.

[...]

Thanks.

Get the straps on the 52 loosened. Or get the straps tightened on the 54.

No, the straps on the 54 are fine, it's the leg holes and diameter
around the hips that are too big. I'm not sure what's easier, getting
them tightened or getting the straps on the 52 loosened.

So, mixed feelings at the end of the day. Once again I seem to have
left my best lifts in the gym, but at least I'm improving. I need to be
a lot less stupid about weight management and figure out how to peak for
meets rather than test days in the gym. I am starting to think the
instensity during the last two weeks of the peaking phase in Sheiko is
just too low, at least for me. It feels strange going into a meet not
having lifted anything really heavy for two weeks, especially
considering i do better on test days in the middle of normal training
weeks.

Make some adjustments or try another routine.

And next meet I'm lifting at whatever I weigh fully fed, even if it
means lifting in the 242's at 220.7.

Try it and you might end up at 220 anyway.

Rest up. Get back at it in a few days.

Will do. Thinking about Wade Hanna's conjugate 3x3...with a little more
speed I expect big things in my bench, I can get a lot of weight started
off the chest, it's keeping it going to lockout that's the problem. I
think this is part of why I don't get much out of a shirt.
Old August 25th 03, 05:07 AM
Lisa

"Will" wrote ...
Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.
snip
At least I hit my goal of 1.5x bodyweight at a meet...but this is not
how I wanted to do it.
snip
Next was 424, double
bodyweight. Got it,

Despite all the other noise in this thread I think it needs to be
recognized that you had a pretty successful meet. Factor in some of the
unhelpful variables (starvation, no coach, useless shirt) and *I* think it
was some damned respectable lifting, and I appreciate the meet report.

And next meet I'm lifting at whatever I weigh fully fed

Good idea.
And we'll need JPEGs. With legs.
TIA
---
Lisa

Old August 25th 03, 03:54 PM
Kirk Roy

Will wrote:
Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

First off, I am crappy at weight management. I get paranoid and overdo
the weight cutting measures the week before a meet...although I think
the scale I rely on at home may be weighing a little heavy as well.
Whatever the exact reasons, I competed in the 220 lb class weighing in
at...

211. (At a hair over 6 feet tall)

Yikes! I was in the mid 220s at the start of the month. That shook me
up a bit. And while it's no excuse, my coach bailed on me at the last
minute.

I want what you got. I could lift in the 165s!

[...]

Sounds like you're learning. After you've applied the things you've
learned so far you'll be kicking it up quite a bit.

Good job!

Kirk
Old August 26th 03, 01:51 AM
Will

In article ,
Kirk Roy wrote:

Will wrote:
Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

First off, I am crappy at weight management. I get paranoid and overdo
the weight cutting measures the week before a meet...although I think
the scale I rely on at home may be weighing a little heavy as well.
Whatever the exact reasons, I competed in the 220 lb class weighing in
at...

211. (At a hair over 6 feet tall)

Yikes! I was in the mid 220s at the start of the month. That shook me
up a bit. And while it's no excuse, my coach bailed on me at the last
minute.

I want what you got. I could lift in the 165s!

Yeah, there are drawbacks to dropping almost 20 lbs in 3 weeks though,
even if it's mostly water.

snip

Sounds like you're learning. After you've applied the things you've
learned so far you'll be kicking it up quite a bit.

Good job!

Thanks. Yeah, I think I'll do a lot better if I:

1) manage my bodyweight more intelligently

2) only use gear I've worked out in enough to know its groove (although
maybe I'd have done better in the bench throwing caution to the wind and
using my brand new shirt, which at least fits tight)

3) save the PR's for my third attempts
Old September 2nd 03, 05:29 AM
John Hanson

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:05:02 -0700, Will
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

I think you did a helluva job. You had good numbers and you
competed...which is what counts.

snipped an excellent meet report