Training week ending Feb 22 2009

Old February 23rd 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.running
Tony S.

Default Training week ending Feb 22 2009

After 4 weeks of no running, I'm building up again slowly, with no
issues to date, knock on wood. I'm doing short runs mostly, and might
start doubles soon to keep everything short for a while as I build up my
volume again. I plan to do various road races starting in April through
Sept, but a main focus again on the escarpment trail run in July, and
hopefully a few other trail races thrown in there.

The plan is to follow an adapted marathon program blending elements of
Daniels and Pfitzinger. While hills will be very important to the run in
July, basic speed is more of a problems for me, so the plan is to delay
doing hills for a long time and just work on volume and then
marathon-specific speed elements. I also plan to keep 'long' runs
contained to 2 hours or less at least until May. In May, June, and early
July I'll do a few longer runs up to 3 hours, but will probably do hills
only in shorter runs until the last long run or 2 before escarpment. I'm
planning to test several ideas which include:

1) volume is the most important factor
2) too many very long runs can work against you
3) since speed is my weak point, work on speed
4) while you need some strength for uphill running, weight is the main
factor
5) the quads can be trained for long downhills in a few workouts only

This is very different from what I've done in the past, but the aim is
to try to learn from marathon training, instead of borrowing ideas from
the ultra world as I've done in the past. The race will last about 4
hours, which for me is longer than a marathon but far short of a 50k,
and has about 6000' of climb and 5500' descent.

-Tony

Wk Runs Time Long AvSans Climb Bike Walk
3 2 0:57 0:32 0:25 0 2:33 1:15
4 3 1:45 0:51 0:27 220 1:21 0:56
5 4 2:25 0:48 0:32 880 1:18 0:48
6 6 2:51 0:51 0:24 980 0:35 1:44
7 6 3:56 1:11 0:33 1370 0:59 2:54
8 6 4:40 1:21 0:39 1010 0:58 1:21

Old February 23rd 09, 11:48 AM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Tony S." wrote in message
[...]

I still like every two weeks. I know I voilate that rule with 18 my
minimum but I have been abusive for years.

3) since speed is my weak point, work on speed

Speed on the off week when you not going long to cut the stress.

4) while you need some strength for uphill running, weight is the main
factor
5) the quads can be trained for long downhills in a few workouts only

But how few? At the worst, the down from North Point to the finish
may be slow. OTOH, if minimizing keeps you whole, then it's worth the
risk a sore quad

This is very different from what I've done in the past, but the aim is
to try to learn from marathon training, instead of borrowing ideas
from the ultra world as I've done in the past.

Glad you're back!! We all have to find what works best for ourselves.
During my old marathon days I would use a blend of about 4 programs
before I found what worked best for my 45-50 miles a week.

Old February 23rd 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.running
Anthony[_2_]

"Tony S." wrote in message
.. I'm
planning to test several ideas which include:

1) volume is the most important factor
2) too many very long runs can work against you
3) since speed is my weak point, work on speed
4) while you need some strength for uphill running, weight is the main
factor
5) the quads can be trained for long downhills in a few workouts only

This is very different from what I've done in the past, but the aim is to
try to learn from marathon training, instead of borrowing ideas from the
ultra world as I've done in the past. The race will last about 4 hours,
which for me is longer than a marathon but far short of a 50k, and has
about 6000' of climb and 5500' descent.

Good to see you back Tony.

Interesting ideas - I'll be interested to see how you go...

Anthony.

Old February 23rd 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.running
Tony S.

"Doug Freese" wrote in message

"Tony S." wrote in message
[...]

I think for running multiple ultras your plan of sustained hill work
makes sense. Some year I hope to be in a position to join you for some
of them early in the season (would have been last year but for injury).

3) since speed is my weak point, work on speed

Speed on the off week when you not going long to cut the stress.

I'm really starting to think that sticking as much as I can to a
marathon program with both threshold work and certain reps will be best.
My strength has always been fine (I mean you need special work for the
quads - the downhills in hilly races or ultras yes) but in flatter and
more open sections people always catch up to me or I have to push to
keep up. Like I said, nothing longer than 2 hours until May.

4) while you need some strength for uphill running, weight is the
main
factor
5) the quads can be trained for long downhills in a few workouts only

But how few? At the worst, the down from North Point to the finish
may be slow. OTOH, if minimizing keeps you whole, then it's worth the
risk a sore quad

A link Dot had a while back gave me the idea. It was about some
orienteerers in Austrailia first one year getting killed in a mountain
race because their quads gave out (surprise surprise), and then the next
year they did just a few hard specific downhill sessions which was
enough for them to win (I think they won). I'll try to find that link.
The idea is that training the quads to survive downhills is different
because it's training them to absorb damage.

This is very different from what I've done in the past, but the aim
is
to try to learn from marathon training, instead of borrowing ideas
from the ultra world as I've done in the past.

Glad you're back!! We all have to find what works best for ourselves.
During my old marathon days I would use a blend of about 4 programs
before I found what worked best for my 45-50 miles a week.

Thanks Doug! Yea last year was just so frustrating starting with my
best base ever in January, then getting a bad injury right then at the
start of the year; first in denial trying to train, then taking
significant time off, then able to train enough to finish escarpment,
but not enough base to sustain those longer runs to prep for the Vermont
50k, ending the year in complete running burnout. Now running feels good
again but I want to build slowly and try something different.

-Tony